Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Well, there was the whole business of Cheney running Halliburton until he became vice president, and then being paid millions of dollars by Halliburton after he was vice president and awarding billions of dollars worth of military contracts to Halliburton, including the award (without bidding) of restoring Iraqi oil wells to Halliburton subsidiary KBR, which was then alleged in a lawsuit to have messed up the health of servicemen. LINK The lovely KBR then sued the veterans LINK

If that wasn't enough, Dick Cheney's wife Lynne sat on the board of Lockheed Martin up until Cheney became vice president, including years when the company was found guilty of ripping the military off. LINK LINK

Edited by Peter Martin on 25 October 2017 at 9:23am
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Brian Miller wrote:
 James Woodcock wrote:
It has to be said. Trump has some weird obsession with reversing every single thing that Obama did. There is definitely a weird psychology driving his decisions in this area.

Nothing weird about it. He hates black people and has the idea that anything done by a black president is inherently bad.

This may be broadly true, but I think it's as simple as Obama making fun of him.  Seriously, it's that petty.  After years of birther crap instigated in large part by Trump, Obama had some fun at his expense at the 2011 White House Correspondent's Dinner (Link).  Thinned skinned as he is, unable to take a joke or leave a slight (no matter how small and insignificant) unanswered, Trump decided to run for president.  Clear as day, his main mission from April 2011 until now has been to dismantle anything that Obama, Michelle and his White House created or passed.  Large legislation or small.  Doesn't matter.  Doesn't matter that his vindictive nature hurts the American people.  As long as he destroys it all (and makes a healthy profit along the way) he's happy.  Sad thing is, Congress is all too happy to go along with it.  

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Legalized bribery? 

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I am confused. What has Trump done that the  Republican congress opposed but went along with? Is repealing Obama's agenda not what most of the GOP ran on. Obama governed  a lot by Presidential order because Republicans opposed him on things. The bombastic rhetoric is Trump but the ideas are Republican. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2017 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I am confused. What has Trump done that the  Republican congress opposed but went along with? Is repealing Obama's agenda not what most of the GOP ran on. Obama governed  a lot by Presidential order because Republicans opposed him on things. The bombastic rhetoric is Trump but the ideas are Republican. 

----

The bombastic and impulsive rhetoric is what the Republican Congress goes along with.

As far as policy, one example is the transgender military ban. The GOP, at least the Senate side that has to deal with a more mixed constituency, weren't quick to embrace it, but the sense I'm getting is that they've mostly washed their hands of dealing with it. 

Ending DACA was another thing that I felt many Republicans in Congress wish Trump hadn't done, because while they opposed Obama's DACA program, there's more Republican support for letting the DREAMers stay. Now Congressional Republicans have to come up with a solution rather than being able to play both sides by having the DACA boogeyman while not having to actually deal with deporting DREAMers.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 5:31am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I am confused. What has Trump done that the  Republican congress opposed but went along with?
--------------------------------
Raised the debt ceiling and repeatedly let Ivanka be intimately involved in the highest level of Presidential proceedings, for a start. Replacing Obamacare at any cost with any replacement no matter how unsuitable or unpopular also does not seem to go down with Congress, which is why they have repeatedly failed to back Trump in House votes on the matter, but Trump appears to be over-powering them by not letting the issue drop and forcing the issue by damaging Obamacare. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Trump has one of the great memories of all time.*

*Source: Donald J. Trump

Really this diatribe is very amusing: LINK

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Yeah, the guy with "one of the great memories of all time", couldn't remember pertinent facts 35 times during a deposition....

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Eric, you don't recall the war in Iraq? Great for Cheney's pocket book and Bush's ego, not so good for everyone else.

And read my post again--I never wrote that John Kerry "assaulted" the troops. His character was smeared during the campaign by other veterans who chose to stand behind draft dodging war criminals.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Don Z., I don't get why you're missing the point of what I said. I didn't think I was that vague.

Yeah, I remember the Iraqi war. I don't CARE about Bush and Cheney's ego and pocketbooks - how did they directly insult soldiers during that?

I know about John Kerry, but again - what statements did he make or actions did he take that disparaged the military?

YOU brought these men up about my comment regarding the question how could our armed forces support a man who has degraded them as much as Trump has. Make the connection for me, 'cause I don't see what you're obviously seeing.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

As far as I remember, Bush and Cheney made sure they publicly fetishized the troops and military service, while oh-so-respectfully feeding active duty servicepeople into the Iraq meatgrinder for three years without an occupation plan, and instituted stop-loss policies that effectively reimposed the draft, just specifically on active duty personnel who had completed their duty. 

Their budgets also slashed veteran benefits to a degree I'm not certain. My late father, a disabled veteran, went from being an obnoxiously born-again Republican in 2000 to cursing Bush's very name once the 2002 budget was unveiled. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 October 2017 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

As someone who started working in the Veterans services field back in 2004, one of the fortunate byproducts of an unfortunate war is that there was a pronounced increase in awareness of Veterans programs and benefits that picked up right about when I got in the field. I was inundated with Veterans in just those first few years who previously had no idea that they might still be eligible for education and employment and training benefits even though they had been out of the service for a few years or had served between named-conflict eras. For over 8 years I facilitated a Transition Assistance class on a military installation where they went over benefits and tried to prep soon-to-transition servicemembers for the civilian workplace.

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version