Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Have you talked to anyone from Puerto Rico, or ever been there? I have, and talked to friends from there this week for hours. None that I've talked to, supporters and non, have placed blame on Trump or his actions. In fact, overall it's been to the contrary. 

To compare PR infrastructure to Florida or Texas shows how little understanding of the situation you have. The roads and highways in those states were open, and flowing with supplies and aid immediately following the hurricanes. The roads in PR, were impassable. Different geography and different infrastructure.The time spent to clear the roads, repair electrical lines( in which concrete power poles were snapped),and cel phone towers was extraordinary. PR had the food, water, and supplies they needed. The coordination, and the ability to get these things to the people was the task, and from all I talked to, as well as many PR officials apparently, things are going well. Far from perfect. And people continue to suffer. But there is nothing approaching perfection in a situation as catastrophic as this.

Blame Trump all you want. But I wish that those parroting the same old predictable name calling , and penny-psychoanalysis , were capable of understanding how ignorant they really are in this case.
--Mark T

Edited by Mark J. Tomlinson on 30 September 2017 at 8:25am
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

But I wish that those parroting the same old predictable name calling...

Personally, I've been fed up with 45's name-calling over time (including before his presidency).

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 3:48pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Agreed, Robbie.

And, personally, I'M FED UP with people trying to defend Trump's (along with the submissive GOP) time in office. Only Trump could pick a fight with people suffering in the aftermath of a natural disaster and think he’s the real victim. Puerto Rico is in CRISIS. As long as people continue to suffer, it's not smart to say, "things are going well." Poor choice of words.

The Mayor of San Juan is wading through sewage, searching for people with a bullhorn while Trump insults her on twitter from his golf course in NJ (At taxpayers' expense.). His natural response is always to lash out without thinking.

Personally, I've heard from my family in Puerto Rico (they're fine thankfully) but while some ppl are coping better than others, that by no means makes it right to say 'things are well" and we shouldn't "blame on Trump or his actions". (Fact is, this admin sat on its hands for a week before being pressured to do anything. Plus, Trump took the time to address how much money PR owes the banks. Tasteless. Zero compassion.) The situation is also dire in the US Virgin Islands.

Sorry to those who "don't get" my rant, but this latest issue hits hard for me as I have my roots, my family history in Puerto Rico. 

This tragedy is real. The difficulty in getting supplies to people is real. AND the political exploitation of it all is also real.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 30 September 2017 at 3:50pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steven Ely
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

His Original Charlottesville comments were ill-informed at best and moronic at worst but I did not see support for the Neo-Nazi's in it.

Trump said of the Unite the Right rally members "Some of them are good people." They gave Nazi salutes, they chanted "Jews will not replace us," some them held and wore swastikas (and wore Trump's "Make America Great Again" caps), some of them held the slavery confederate flag, some of them wore KKK robes, etc. Many of them baited and sucker punched the crowd of anti-fascist counter protesters. One of them, Trump supporter James Fields, drove his gray Dodge Charger car down the street toward the crowd of anti-fascist counter protesters and plowed into the crowd, killing 32 year old Heather Heyer, and injuring 19 others. James Fields was arrested for second-degree murder of Heather Heyer and aggravated malicious wounding of 19 other people.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I hope all will be well for you and yours, Charles.

And you're right. Only 45 could pick a fight with people suffering in the aftermath of a disaster. If not for his narcissism, he'd pick a fight with his reflection! 

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Thank you, Robbie.... just sets me off for this tragedy to become so political when the main focus should be rescue efforts for those that need it.

Pretty upsetting reading those disgusting and ugly tweets from Trump this morning (and I don't even follow him!). I've really had enough of him and his followers.... but it's STILL important to not accept this as NORMAL. 

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 11:36pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Mark,

The mere thought of having to think about waiving the Jones Act to get supplies to the folks is proof enough.

He. Had. To. Think. About.  It.

WTF!?!?!?!

These are Americans. There should NEVER be any hesitation.  Period. 

Also, I have friends there, too. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 2:43am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

What I really hate is that everything has to be about HIM. It can never just be about others or a particular issue. He has to turn everything political. 

I'm not saying Obama was the perfect president, but I can imagine the tweets we'd be reading from him. Or any other former president. But no, 45 is still in campaign mode. He can never resist a dig at Clinton or the Democrats. Everything must be political with him.

Perhaps it has occurred, but I really do wonder if anyone in his circle has ever advised him.

Yesterday, the UK's Foreign Secretary, Boris Johnson, made a gaffe (just Google his name) whilst in Myanmar. I'm not entirely sure he realized his mike was switched on. With him was the British Ambassador to Myanmar. The ambassador was heard telling Johnson that the comments made were a problem and not appropriate. Despite our imperfect system over here (and i know we aren't a republic), there does seem to be a mechanism for restraining people.

45 either doesn't have such people in his circle - or he does and goes ahead, anyway (probably the latter). All I know is that if I was in his inner circle, I would be recommending against many of his tweets. But, hey, maybe that has happened, but the egomaniac ignored it.

Oh, and I don't follow him on Twitter, either (I've blocked him to prevent retweets from others ending up on my account), but the news media here usually covers a tweet (I watch half an hour of news daily) and it's hard to avoid hearing about it.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

No president is perfect, but certainly Trump is the nadir of these 45 men. Confounding, obfuscating, lying, committing treason, siding with the enemies of America, siding with the enemies of Americans, and ATTACKING CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES.

In any other case, one could ignore such an ignorant, self-obsessed, bloviating defective; but in our case, we get him not only slammed in our faces and crammed down our throats almost every day, every hour - we can't avoid him and we can't seem to depose him.

He seems to exemplify everything the Republicans want, including those who would like a little genocide and a nice civil war - because wars are good for business.

So Trump voters, congratulations; you got what you wanted. You identified what you want in your country. And now it's coming home to roost, and one can but hope that it roosts directly on you. There are lives to be laid at the feet of ol' 45. And some day, I hope to witness judgment visited on him.

Hate talking about dying victims of a catastrophe... way to go, Republicans.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Words are so important. 45 can ruin things with a tweet. 

I'm not saying Obama is an angel, but his words seemed to unify some. I have issues with him (e.g. the West's intervention in Libya), but 45 just sets everything back with his nonsense.

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Does the Mayor of San Juan not have more important things to be doing than wading through sewage, searching for people with a bullhorn. She should be overseeing and coordinating things not doing what volunteers can be doing. I will admit it did turn into a good Anti-Trump photo op.

I forgot, it is Trumps white supremacist beliefs that hinders relief efforts, not possibly any logistics. 

Genocide and civil war, Trump is going to be a busy guy to get those things rolling. I must have missed the part where  he was convicted or even charged with treason.

Once again Trump won. He got every news story and all people talking about him. People fall into his trap so easily. He is a media whore, good or bad press is all the same to him. The news organizations need to  learn to say, Trump tweeted something stupid again. Then they need to move on and not analyze it for days. That would take the wind out of his sails so fast. 

There is no such thing as a safe space in real life. Trump and Republicans are not evil, Democrats are not Angels. Both parties are very flawed and unyielding in rhetoric,

I am no Trump fan but I will not demonize every thing he says and does to fit a narrative.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2017 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Michael, no-one here needs to demonize 45's tweets, he does that himself. There's no need to demonize his tweets because they are lacking any morality.

Let me see, attacking our London mayor after a terrorist attack, criticizing Scotland Yard after a terrorist attack, attacking the San Juan mayor, criticizing contrary viewpoints as 'fake news', etc, etc.

Why shouldn't a mayor get involved in relief efforts? If I were mayor of anywhere, I don't think I would feel comfortable talking about a disaster on the end of a phone. No way! One extra body never hurts. There are great volunteers, no doubt, but one extra pair of hands and feet can surely only be a good thing.

If Trump showed an ounce of humility, or tweeted something good, I would not demonize him. Sadly, he is incapable of that. Everything is about him. He's still in "campaign mode" 10 months after winning the election. And he tweets like a 12-year old. Not really sure what there is to defend.

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version