Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I must have missed where he actively supported neo-Nazis and white supremacists.

So, you really weren't paying attention?? Seems to me you're glossing over the fact that his words do "hold a lot of weight" since he's the "leader" of our nation and that the rest of the world looks at how we govern and make decisions involving the rest of the world. Diplomacy matters.

Your points that "people started to really listen to each other again" shouldn't dismiss that some administrative action should be taken before he does real harm to this country and perhaps the world. 

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

All this anger on both sides did not just appear because of Trump He may have been the catalyst that brought it into the open.

I am listening. Please show me where he actively supported Neo-Nazis. Not opinion or interpretation but his words and I will concede the point to you. 

We know that his words that get people irate usually do not mater because few take him seriously. For a majority of people if he said the sky was blue they would call him a liar. The sky has no colour and blue is just light reflecting of particles in the air. His words have little influence because he is not changing any minds.

The only reason the World looks to the States is because they have the biggest guns and strong economic influence not any moral superiority. The US has always been America first, Democrat or Republican , do not fool yourselves.

It seems to me Trump is one of the least influential and least powerful Presidents in my life time but brings the biggest irrational fear and anger from people.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It really does feel like you're being facetious, Michael. Maybe not intentionally (I don't judge people too much).

Firstly, about him actively supporting Neo-Nazis: sometimes what you don't say is more important than what you do say.

Suppose I shared a house with two roommates (a married couple). And the guy was beating the woman up when I wasn't there. Then imagine it was brought to my attention by the woman. What do I say?

Preferably, this:

"That's so wrong. Indefensible. Do you want me to call the police?"

Or do I remain silent for days, talk about the guy being a 'fine person', come up with reasons why he may not be breaking a law - and then, reluctantly and under advisement, issue a mealy-mouthed statement about how wrong it is.

45 has absolutely ZERO problem with tweeting - IN RECORD TIME - if an SNL sketch offends him, if he wants to criticize someone speaking out at the Oscars or if someone offends him; but when he's been silent on other issues, for days, the liar will talk about how he wanted to get all the facts before commenting. What a shame 'facts' aren't on his mind when he can find the time to tweet at 2am in the morning if (choose an actor) criticizes him.

The guy is a walking contradiction. A 2011 tweet resurfaced today, him defending flag-burning as a means of protest. Yet he says differently now. The guy is a populist.

Regarding him being the least influential/least powerful president, do you really believe that? Any US president has influence/power, the US being a superpower. If he was the Governor of the Falkland Islands or Chief Minister of the Isle of Man (with all due respect to those territories), I wouldn't care what crap he was tweeting. But like it or not, some countries do have more influence than others. The man is demeaning the Office of the President.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

And lets not forget that Kellyanne Conway, one of Trump's lackeys, invented the term `alternative facts'. Which is another word for a lie you refuse to admit is a lie.

I couldn't care less about Trump's comments about the NFL and athletes protesting (though I *do* have a problem with those athletes doing so), or what the Moron-In-Chief does on Twitter. But I am seriously worried that he's going to get us into a war with North Korea, and I truly believe that their leader is insane enough to use nuclear weapons.

Trump has already surpassed everyone else as the worst President we ever had, and I can't wait for him to leave office. It will be a travesty if he is allowed to serve all four years, and an even bigger one if he is somehow re-elected. The problem is, unless he ends up in prison, we'll have to constantly hear him whine and moan for years afterward.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 25 September 2017 at 2:00pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Please show me where he actively supported Neo-Nazis. Not opinion or interpretation but his words and I will concede the point to you.

Trump’s support for white supremacists and neo-Nazis at Charlottesville was pretty clear... his own words, "...You had some very bad people in that group. You also had very fine people on both sides." You might use the argument that it's an interpretation, but many people felt he supported Neo-Nazis/white supremacists by his choice of words.

BTW, for you to say Trump is "one of the least influential" of Presidents is pretty strange and again suggests that you're NOT paying attention. (He creates  chaos almost on a daily basis.)

He's a person who incites anger, violence and hate... and holds the title of President of The United States.

-C!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 1:59pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Michael Sommerville wrote:
It seems to me Trump is one of the least influential and least powerful Presidents in my life time but brings the biggest irrational fear and anger from people.

Then you haven't been following American politics too closely.  If the only thing that he and the Republicans do is to stack the deck of the Supreme Court with conservative, right-leaning justices then that will have a lifetime of influence.  The Republicans outright said they were not even going to consider a Supreme Court nominee until after the election and then swept Trump's nominee, conservative Neil Gorsuch, onto the bench with their majority.  Several others may leave the bench or, sadly, pass away over the next 3+ years...and that's if Trump is only a one-term president.  

I think you vastly underestimate the influence and power he does wield that extends far beyond "irrational" fear and anger.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Matt, I agree with everything you just said. 

Hopefully, Clarence Thomas is one of the next justices to go. I believed Anita Hill, and he's almost a piece of crap as Scalia was.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

My anger appeared completely due to Rump's behavior and performance thus far in the office of President. I went from "wait and see" to where I am now based purely on his performance once in office. While I will concede that he has never come out and stated implicitly that he supports Neo-Nazis, racists, etc. I will say his actions and statements regarding these groups and the groups that oppose them speak volumes to me. Granted, these are my opinions and interpretations of his actions, but that is all we have to go on. If you are looking for him to state without doubt an ideological position before exercising your ability to interpret his words and behavior then you will be at a loss. Every position he has ever taken is couched in ambiguity and hair splitting.

I don't think the anger and fears from people are irrational because of the power of the office he holds. You may feel his is one of the least influential and powerful Presidents in your life time, but that is only because of the opposition he is facing. Opposition from the people forming opinions and interpreting his actions without waiting for his implicit words to indicate what his is for and against.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Thanks, Matt.... that's an explanation I hadn't even touched on... but shouldn't be overlooked.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 25 September 2017 at 2:07pm

Michael Sommerville
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2017 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I follow American politics very closely and read and listen to many opposing views. I do not want to live in a bubble of people who agree on everything. I guess the difference is I am looking at everything and excluding emotion. My mind is open and can be persuaded by a factual argument.

His Original Charlottesville comments were ill-informed at best and moronic at worst but I did not see support for the Neo-Nazi's in it. Everything he says is so ego driven and i think it was his preemptive, this will be blamed on me, so i better blame everyone. Interpretation and feelings are not fact, they are obviously biased. 

As for his influence, who's opinions is he changing. 

It seems obvious to me that the supreme court thing was all party and he just put forth who he was told was the Republican choice. It was 100% the Republican leaders outmaneuvering the Democrats. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 2:01am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

George W. Bush didn't always appear to be the most articulate type (but I believe, whatever his flaws, that he had an intellect). 45 has a low IQ:

"This is an island surrounded by water. Big water, ocean water."

My goodness, I would hand out a prize for that - if it were a 2-year old saying it. 

I'm not here to attack the man's intellect, but, once again, 45 can tweet within hours (or less) if a comedy sketch offends him or about something frivolous, but if it's the residents of Puerto Rico needing assistance, well it was a long time (in Twitter terms) before 45 had something to say.

And that is what, from chatting to people, gets on all of our nerves. Woe betide SNL or any other show offending him, we'll see a tweet within hours; but on important issues, it'll be days before you hear anything from the egomaniac.

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2017 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

...and the citizens of Puerto Rico (American citizens) have to wait until 45 stopped dragging his feet and do something. 

Making statements about Puerto Rico's financial debt does not help.

Calling out the mayor of SanJuan because she stated the obvious does not help.

The US citizens in Texas and Florida got aid immediately. 

I'm sure there's a reason why it has taken so long to get aid to Puerto  Rico, but I can't put my finger on it......

Let me watch some more interviews with the folks in the PR. I'm sure there's a clue somewhere.....

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version