Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: The INHUMANS coming to ABC in 2017 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2016 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The first two episodes of the new series will run worldwide exclusively in IMAX for two weeks at the beginning of September 2017 before the show continues on ABC in the Fall of 2017.

http://marvel.com/news/tv/26993/marvels_the_inhumans_coming_ to_imax_abc_in_2017?linkId=31155906http://marvel.com/news/tv /26993/marvels_the_inhumans_coming_to_imax_abc_in_2017?linkI d=31155906
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2016 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Interesting to see them trying something new, in terms of shooting a TV pilot in IMAX.

Not so buzzed about them telling a never-before-told story.

The Inhumans have a lot of published history. Why not use the best of that?

Edited by Peter Martin on 14 November 2016 at 6:49pm
Back to Top profile | search

Byron Graham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2016 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

This is probably why the INHUMANS movie was taken off the film schedule some time ago.

And, for some reason, I feel this foretells the end of AGENTS OF SHIELD.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2016 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yikes... I can't even begin to imagine what a stripped-down, off-model, television version of the Inhumans could possibly look like. If any Marvel property begged for the silver screen...!

And this serves to remind me again: Marvel is owned by Disney. Why the HELL aren't they making animated versions of these (and other) characters???

Can we please get the classic characters, in classic hand-drawn animation? Why aren't they even attempting this?

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2016 at 8:58pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Probably because they haven't made ANY hand-drawn animated features since prior to the acquisition of Marvel. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2016 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I know! Hand-drawn animation has gotta come back in some form eventually... why not start with the Marvel characters?

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 12:07am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Doesn't it come down to which studio has the rights to
what...I believe that the classic Inhumans (Black Bolt,
Madame Medusa, Crystal, etc. are in the Fantastic Four
package), so little chance of them being in the Disney
Marvelverse.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Lucasfilm did a similar thing with their Clone Wars animated series, debuting the pilot in theatres. It was a box office bust, IIRC. It's just a weird way to roll out a series. Are movie goers going to get a puffed-up T.V. episode? Will television viewers be left with a lower-budget, watered-down Inhumans than what was in the movies? It messes with people's expectations. 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

@Marc Foxx

The announcement made it clear that this series will indeed be about Black Bolt and the Royal Family of The Inhumans.  

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 8:12am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

So you mean that we've got Inhumans (mutants, really) and Inhumans (the inhabitants of Atillan)? Sure, no confusion there.

Dunno why Marvel suddenly came down hard on the X-Men and the Fantastic Four, but what the hell - it's THEIR throat to cut.

I feel that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.* is a little more accessible to the standard viewer; they can associate with a spy thriller TV show. "The Inhumans", while an intriguing idea for a movie and supporting characters, doesn't scream "Big time series!" to me. After all, let's remember how every turn at Marvel of giving the Inhumans their own feature has turned out. I don't think viewers will be able to associate with any of the characters too well... at least, not without some standard point-of-view characters. Maybe they'll put Quake into it?

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Unless this show gets a GAME OF THRONES level budget, it's hard to imagine this show living up to its premise.  Nevermind "on model", it's hard to think this will be anything other than a diluted, tepid network mediocrity.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Perhaps ABC learned their lesson from Agents of SHIELD, and will splash many, many millions on each episode of Inhumans. Maybe that's why IMAX is jumping on board. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I wonder whether this will be a half arsed attempt at a Marvel GAME OF THRONES.

Royal family, possible political intrigue. I hope not but I do worry

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Sounds like this will have a pretty impressive budget since IMAX is a partner in this venture. I'm cautiously optimistic about this but Marvel has a decent track record so far.

Fingers crossed that they do justice to BLACK BOLT!!!!

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

While I don't trust Marvel farther than I can throw them, the one thing you can count on with Marvel and DC is that if one of them finds success with something, the other one will copy it.  DC seems to be having success with the CW shows that feature actual superheroes in recognizable costumes.  Combine that with the aforementioned GoT element, and you could have a good show.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Is there really such a comparison between GAME OF THRONES and Marvel's INHUMANS? I'm not seeing it.

-C!

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

"Unless this show gets a GAME OF THRONES level budget, it's hard to imagine this show living up to its premise.  Nevermind "on model", it's hard to think this will be anything other than a diluted, tepid network mediocrity. "

IMAX is a funding partner in this.  And their camera technology is said to be a big part of the production.  I suspect they are going to set a new bar for FX on TV.  

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 15 November 2016 at 3:02pm

Sam Houston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Lucasfilm did a similar thing with their Clone Wars animated series, debuting the pilot in theatres. It was a box office bust, IIRC. It's just a weird way to roll out a series. Are movie goers going to get a puffed-up T.V. episode? Will television viewers be left with a lower-budget, watered-down Inhumans than what was in the movies?

1. “Marvel’s The Inhumans”--produced in conjunction with ABC Studios and filmed entirely with IMAX digital cameras--will run worldwide exclusively in IMAX for two weeks at the beginning of September 2017. ABC plans to then premiere the weekly series in fall, with additional exclusive content that can only be seen on the network.

2. This type of marketing was done in 1979 with "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century":

Inspired by the success of Star Wars, Universal began developing Buck Rogers for television, spearheaded by Glen A. Larson, who had a production deal with the studio. Production began in 1978. Initially, Larson and Universal had planned on making a series of Buck Rogers TV movies for NBC. The pilot for Larson's other science-fiction series, Battlestar Galactica (1978), had been released theatrically in some countries and in key locations in North America, and had done well at the box office. Universal then opted to release the first Buck Rogers TV movie theatrically on March 30, 1979. Good box-office returns led NBC to commission a weekly series, which began on September 20, 1979, with a slightly modified version of the theatrical release.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2016 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Apparently Scott Buck (showrunner on Netflix's Iron Fist) will oversee and executive produce the show.

He also worked on the final 3 seasons of Showtime's Dexter.

-C!

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2016 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

That Dexter credit could be left out for better effect.

Dexter was scraping up the bottom of a long dried barrel at that point.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 06 December 2016 at 4:28pm

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 December 2016 at 11:10pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Yeah, I suddenly lost interest.  His tenure destroyed Dexter for me.  I went from loving the show and planning to buy the complete series on Blu-Ray when it finished, to not having watched a single episode since the execrable finale and cancelling the pre-order.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 December 2016 at 2:11am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Dexter had  one of the worst TV show endings since Lost. Just terrible. And the last three seasons were by far the worst. If Scott Buck is attached to this I have very low expectations, though I'm not really a big fan of the Inhumans in the first place, with the exception of Black Bolt. As far as Jack Kirby creations go, they rate just a notch above the Eternals as some of my least favorite creations (on the flipside I love all the New Gods stuff and consider it one of his most creative periods). And if what an earlier poster said and it's true that the royal family stuff is part of the FF deal and they won't be on the show, what's the point? Marvel's push to make the Inhumans popular by producing multiple Inhumans titles and pushing them to the forefront of the Marvel universe, goes against what makes a series popular in the first place. It's not really something you can plan. The best Inhumans book they've published in the last couple decades was the Paul Jenkins and Jae Lee one and even that didn't make the Inhumans popular (though I enjoyed it quite a bit and it was one of the best Marvel books at that time of creative drought). Marvel didn't plan to make the X-Men a popular book. It was one of the lower selling titles that actually got cancelled. It wasn't until Claremont and Byrne made it one of the best, if not the best, book that Marvel was producing that it became popular and after the death of the Phoenix it just exploded and carried its massive popularity for two decades even when the title(s) got really bad. If they think they're going to do this by plan with Inhumans, they are quite deluded because most readers don't particularly care for the Inhumans, especially the newer ones who aren't part of the royal family. Even Marvel didn't care about the Inhumans until they started fretting about not having the film and TV rights to the X-Men. They barely even published the books for the last thirty years. All of that said, I will at least give the show a try because I am a fan of Agents of Shield and have enjoyed the Inhumans stuff on there much more than I have what they've done in the comics. But, yeah, the Scott Buck being in charge makes me not expect greatness to say the least.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 07 December 2016 at 2:13am

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Iwan Rheon (the despicable Ramsay Bolton from Game Of Thrones) has been officially cast as MAXIMUS!

Perfection.
It's ON, peeps!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

That is a great choice!

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2017 at 3:04am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

It's interesting that a lot of sites are suggesting this is type casting. As someone who has never watched GoT, I mainly know Rheon as Simon from Misfits and that character could not be any further from Maximus.

Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version