Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who
Topic: Doctor Who :The Power of the Daleks Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2016 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Beginning on the 19th BBC America is going to be showing their animated recreation of this lost episode from the classic Dr.Who. I'm uncertain if the exactly how it all is going to work. Other than seeing that it's going to be shown an episodic method.  From what I've seen of the animation it looks good.
Back to Top profile | search

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2016 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I grew up on Saturday morning TV of the '70s, so I'm no judge of good animation, but I see a few awkwardnesses  in the commercials, maybe it's just not the awkwardness I'm used to.

What do folks think these animated reconstructions should be?  It seems kind of a waste to make it just a simplified copy of the original broadcast -- and, with the limitations of the animation, it will never be mistaken for the lost footage.  On the other hand, it's a slippery slope of improvement: you start by making the monster without visible zippers, holes, or parts falling off, you then make it move better than a stuntman in a costume, but that means our heroes have to be more athletic to evade them...

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 November 2016 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

My son and I were discussing the preview that was on tv the other night. WE both agreed that the animation regarding the Daleks was done very well. The animation on the people we didn't care for. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2016 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Well having seen the episode now. I can say my first impression remains true. The figure animation was very disappointing. I can not understand why the creators handled it the way that they did.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2016 at 1:53am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Because it was cheap.  They have used a similar (and in some cases more primitive) animation style to replace missing episodes before. I think with modern CGI you could do a lot better, but they don't want to spend the money, so we end up with glorified flash animation.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 November 2016 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

BBC America has an irritating habit of repeating shows 9000 times a week...except the handful of shows I actually want to watch, in which case, I'm lucky if they get a second screening. I missed out on part 2,  and it wasn't repeated...seemingly the ONLY show on their schedule on Saturday night to get that treatment. 
But that's OK, that one episode of 'TNG' where nothing happens aired throughout the weekend...

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 28 November 2016 at 6:00pm

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2016 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Good animation on the Dalek that episode.  As the scientists were powering up the casing, the three appendages rose in unison.  Then they started moving a bit more spasmodically, so I was, like, "uh-oh, it's alive."  Then, I realized the Dalek operator has only two hands, and wondered if he would have had a special linkage built to operate it that way in the original performance.

A splash across the bottom of the screen about "The Power of the Daleks" being available in colour drew my attention to the fact that it's in 16:9.

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 December 2016 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

The show disappeared from my DVR schedule last night.  Looking around, I see it's been moved to after Dirk Gently, and in the move lost the "The Power of the Daleks" subtitle, so the series option didn't catch it.  (Somehow (in the metadata?) the just plain "Doctor Who" series option that records the Peter Capaldi shows didn't catch it, either.  Back as late as the turn of the century people talked of networks "burying" shows as if they were trying to keep anyone from finding it.  I'm finding it harder to disbelieve that.)

Looking right now, the subtitle is back, and the episodes beyond this Saturday have been restored, but check your local listings!

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2016 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I forgot BBC America was airing it, and am watching the last episode right now. 

Did they hire the second cheapest animators they could find?

Back to Top profile | search | email

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2016 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

This whole thing has proven to be for the most part a huge disappointment. 

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2016 at 3:56am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

So, it's over? I thought they would have aired the last episode on Christmas, as a lead-in to the 'Doctor Mysterio' special.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2016 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Brian, the final episode is on Christmas eve. The entire series will replay on Christmas day prior to this year's Christmas special.

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2016 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

A disappointment to me, but not a major one.  I've seen two other serials with animated episodes, The Invasion and The Reign of Terror.  If you find the Terry Gilliam cutout animation on the humans jarring against the computer 3-D animation of the Daleks, Reign of Terror had some computer model they used to give 3-D animation to the drawing of William Hartnell's head.  It... didn't work.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2016 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

All this disappointment being expressed has left wondering what people were expecting given that we've had previous examples of animated lost episodes. This is just the same except its a whole story. Given that the BBC don't have millions to lavish on this project I'm grateful that it's been completed at all.

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2016 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

What I expected?  I want to give a better answer than "better."

A specific thing: I wish when a character's arm comes in from offscreen it didn't move like a cardboard sign on the end of a stick.

A general thing: it's not the cheap animation, it's that it seems to be made without an awareness of how to hide the cheapness.

It is what it is: the audio of a TV show that was recorded as if live, illustrated.  Silences on the soundtrack combined with unmoving pictures gives a feeling of dead air.  The "money shot" of a live-action production would have been the rising camera shooting down on the Daleks chanting "Exterminate!"  That was probably fairly easy in animation, and they could add as many Daleks as they wanted.  Where they should have spent their time and attention would have been to have mercurial expressions cross the Doctor's face as he takes a knife to the orange.  I wonder if they felt hesitant to add in "acting" by the characters as they didn't really know what it looked like.  (The didn't mind adding a note about Bad Wolf to the colony bulletin board.)

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2016 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

The animated versions of SHADA (with 8 instead of 4) and SCREAM OF THE SHALKA (with an alternate Doctor voiced by the actor who later played The Great Intelligence during Eleven's run) were both done better than POWER OF THE DALEKS.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2016 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I suppose I wasn't disappointed because I knew going in that we weren't going to get Disney-style animation or amazing life-like CGI reconstructions. I'm sorry to hear that others were disappointed by the results but I think we need to be realistic about what can be achieved on a BBC budget. Personally I hope this project is enough of a success that other missing stories will be brought to life through animation.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2016 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

It appears they went for 'making it look like it was made on a 1966 BBC animation budget.'

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2016 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I wasn't looking for spectacular animation. Decent animation wasn't too much to ask for. The Daleks looked and moved amazingly. The people could barely be considered animated. It looked like poorly executed Flash animation. Add to that the dialogue is sparse in some parts. Which makes the lack of animation stand out even more. These lifeless figures stay frozen in time. Than suddenly move or talk. The transition from frame to frame was terrible.

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 24 December 2016 at 4:44pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version