Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Brainiac Robot Body Design (Do you like it or not?)) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2016 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 1  

Hi!

All my life I have liked a lot the short-lived robot-body design of Brainiac (Superman's villian).

This design didn't last long: we only could enjoy it from 1982 until 1985.

Being such a big fan of this design, it was a total surprise for me when I discovered that many comic fans did not like this version of the character.

For me, it was an excellent desing: it was futuristic, robotic, cold, calculating and menacing with certain elegance. I believe it suits the character very well (being a living machine and all that).

Instead, I never liked that much the green bald humanoid version and all its variants.

Also, I never undestood why they reverted Brainiac's desing while maintaining the Skull-shaped shift (if you are a green and bald alien humanoid why you have a shift which looks like a giant robot head, hehe). I imagine it's because that ship looks cool!

What do you think about it?

Here I leave a picture shared by Brian Hague in another post:

Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2016 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 2  

I was a Marvel boy and only sparingly read DC comics. This version was the first time I met Braniac and I thought it looked pretty cool, I was 13. 

And then I started to read some other issues and realised he was a green skinned ok some getting used to.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2016 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 3  

For me, it's the most menacing and most visually appealing version of Brainiac.

I'd love to see it represented on the big screen.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2016 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 4  

It's a pretty creepy design and works very well. It also broke Brainiac away visually from being Lex Luthor with green skin and scalp electrodes. The skull ship only sealed the deal.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2016 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 5  

The Ed Hannigan Brainiac is one of my favorite character re-designs. It differentiates him from Superman's other foes and looks sinister and menacing as all hell. While some influence from the Terminator is there in the basic concept, that of a robot skeleton, Hannigan's re-imagining has wonderful style and flair. 

The toy was an absolute must-have item for me at the time it came out, and I was actually late to rehearsal for drama club the day I was finally able to purchase one after school at the nearby Safeway. It got passed around amongst my friends quite a bit, his leg-kicking action getting a thorough field-testing as we milled about onstage. Why an alien super-computer thought it wise to try to kick his opponents into submission was a question I dared not ask. Brainiac was much smarter than the rest of us, and we have to assume he had his reasons... :-)

I also very much enjoyed the way the change wrote the character forward rather than hand-waving away his past, effectively saying, "Those stories don't count! That person's work was no good! Here, mine's better!" The "old" Brainiac was still a part of Superman's history, to be revisited whenever the company liked. Nothing was undone, and something creative was added. 

Brainiac's new mission of battling a universal-scale "Master Programmer" only he seemed capable of perceiving was interesting as well. He saw Superman as an Angel of Darkness and puppet of this malevolent entity. A delusional robot with deicidal tendencies was an interesting direction to go with the character, and an interesting way of redeeming Brainiac as a villain after DC had reprogrammed him into a bland, space-faring good guy.

Since change is always going to occur regardless, and standing in place is unfortunately never a valid option, I'd prefer the changes yield the sort of imaginative results they did here. Had the creators wished, they could easily have taken the new Brainiac apart at some time and reconstructed the "original".* This "Master Programmer" Brainiac sought to displace could have built a new version of his old self from the information it gained in taking him apart in the first place, and set the two in conflict against one another. By keeping the original in the story, the new version was immediately more interesting and credible than he would have been had his history all been made "neverwas."

The New Brainiac was a fun concept with a wonderful visual. I, too, find it regrettable that he lasted such a short time, post- reboot robot stooge call-outs notwithstanding...

* In Brainiac's first appearance, he was not presented as a humanoid computer. That came later.

Phil Frances
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2016 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 6  

I liked it, although admittedly I had no real experience of the original at that point ; overall, I thought the design was interesting - the feet always seemed odd to me. I'm still not sure if they were supposed to plug into the skull-ship's systems like some form of alien USB ?

I liked the skull-ship itself though even more - even suggesting to Wizkids that they produce a version for Heroclix ; they eventually did ( I can guarantee this will not have been down to my solitary e-mail ... )

I've clearly enough of a soft spot for the redesign to have bought one of the action figures a few years back - seen here with the original, and a similarly-minded friend .....

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2016 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 7  

I was the golden age of 12 when I discovered the new
Brainiac, and I had just started collecting comics (not
just reading them, but collecting them). Gil Kane was
already my favorite, and I had to have this issue. I
thought it was awesome, so I have much love for the new
Brainiac.

I liked Luthor's new armor too.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2016 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 8  

Growing up in the 70s and 80s, pink Brainiac is MY
Brainiac, and always will be. Strangely, I love the
design of his ship, but don't care for the robot-ized
version of the character at all.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2016 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 9  

I think my first encounters with reading Braniac must have been with him as a villain but I got to know him in L.E.G.I.O.N. '89 and it was ingrained in me that he was a good guy.

Funny, I always thought the Braniac re-design was inspired by Terminator but it predates it by 2 years.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2016 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 10  

I loved the Hannigan design and still do!

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2016 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 11  

I hate it. I loathe it. I despise it. It is an abomination, a horror, an assault to the eye, ugly, disturbing, irritating, nauseating, an unnecessary blot to the Superman legend.

As I have noted under separate cover, in the story where Brainiac was changed, any possible aspect of empathy to the character was eliminated for me. Brainiac just became another machine, or robot, that Superman simply had to destroy, so that he could get back at Steve Lombard for his latest prank.

I liked the changes to Brainiac that were done in the Animated Universe. Still humanoid but obviously not human, still the red head terminals - but spooky, kinda creepy, and a little less humanoid.

But this design was just too big a paradigm shift for me. No good... I hated it.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2016 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 12  

I frikkin loved the Branian redesign, and seeing it on the Super Powers cartoon was one of the factors that enticed me into reading comics when I was 12. I never read the origin of the new look, so the whole Master Programmer raison d'etre was lost on me; I thought "Avenging Angel" was just another cool nom de némésis, a la "Big Blue Boy Scout," albeit a surprisingly mystic one for a computer.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version