Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Did Anyone Pick Up Marvel Comics’ Star Wars #1 At The Time? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2016 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 1  

Just wondering if anyone on the forum actually bought the first issue of Marvel Comics' STAR WARS, published in 1977? As per the topic title, interested in hearing from those who bought it at the time.

I was a bit too young to care so I didn't.

Just wondering, for those who did, how did you feel about it? It must have been exciting to have had further tales at the time. We take things for granted now with boxsets, webisodes, comics, books, etc. Back then, there wasn't much happening other than the film.

Was there anyone conscious of STAR WARS at the time who didn't have any interest in picking up the first issue of the Marvel title?
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2016 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 2  

I got the comic as a kid, both the regular-sized first issue comic, and the "Treasury Size" reprint magazines.

I was excited to have them, as I think most children of the era were. One thing I remember, though, was being bothered that Darth Vader was colored green on that first issue cover. Heh.

If I recall correctly, I got the regular comic in a three pack bag (with issues #2 and #3) not long after it was published. I don't recall seeing the individual comic on the newsstand at that time, but I was eight-years-old and didn't always make it to the stores by myself.

The "Treasury Size" comics I recall getting that Christmas. I don't remember having any problems with the comics being reprints, and I am sure my parents, who bought them, just saw that it was a "Star Wars" comic with no thought about being reprints of something I had in smaller format.

It was exciting to have the comics, too. As you noted, Robbie, we didn;t have all the other ways to enjoy STAR WARS at the time. My family didn't own a VCR (most families in my city in 1977 didn't own one... I wouldn't have known what one was back then, in fact), nor did we have cable TV, yet. Both those things wouldn't be available to many in my area until the early 1980s.

If you wanted to experience anything STAR WARS at the time, in my area, it was the movies, the toys, and the comics, and related magazines, and that was pretty much it.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2016 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 3  

I bought it.
The comic, #1, actually came out before the movie by about a month. The build up was there but the frenzy didn't really hit until that first weekend at the theaters (at least in my area). It took me about 3 weeks to get in to see it.

The comic was so-so IMHO before I saw the movie. After seeing the movie I reread it with more enthusiasm. I remember only getting the comic sporadically after that . 

I did get my collecting fix on with the trading cards though.

David Bensette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 October 2016 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 4  

The first one I purchased was issue #6 I think.
I likely would have bought the first one, but comics were hard to locate for me back then.
It seemed there was no rhyme or reason on what drug stores, newsstands would carry from week to week, so I had to do the rounds on my bike.
I did buy every issue I could find after that one.
I was crazy about the movie, and collected the action figures, stamps, trading cards...it seemed like all the kids at school did too.
I did have a record album too, that told the story, which I listened to many, many times.
Great time to be a kid!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 28 October 2016 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 5  

Hm. Does it count that I was getting comps of everything from Marvel back then? Cuz, honestly, I would not actually have bought the adaptation.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2016 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 6  

Does it count that I was getting comps of everything from Marvel back then? 

I'm sure it counts, yes. ;)

It is amazing what we used to fill our time with. Trading cards were nice to look at whilst you waited for movies (in any franchise). Now, I can't imagine trading cards being the same. Who wants to see images on cards when there are GIFs and YouTube videos to watch? That's just my view, others may still like cards.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 29 October 2016 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 7  

There was an old B.C. strip in which one of the characters discovered clams have legs, leading to the cry "Clams got legs!" A friend, working in an early comic shop, paraphrased this to "Fans got bucks!" The phrase was a commentary on the often outlandish things (POGS anyone?) on which fans could be persuaded to spend their money.

In other words, do cards still exist? If there's a market, you can bet they do!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2016 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 8  

In other words, do cards still exist? If there's a market, you can bet they do!

I believe they do.

What confuses me is that folk can buy complete sets now. Each to their own, of course, but the thrill back in the day was trying to complete your collection.

In 1989, some bubblegum manufacturer (I cannot recall who) released cards based on the BATMAN film. This was before the film release. And obviously before the internet so there was a certain amount of fun in collecting the cards - I hated bubblegum but had to have the cards - and get a glimpse of the Joker, Batman, etc. And it was fun trying to complete the collection, the "thrill of the hunt" and all that.

Now, if you can buy a complete set of cards on the internet, where is the thrill of the hunt?

Definitely a different world. Titan Magazines published about four poster magazines for the BATMAN film and back then it was the only way to get a glimpse (along with, of course, occasional movie trailers or magazine articles). We really did have to be patient back then. Kids today, eh, with their YouTube footage and all sorts of apps?!

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2016 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 9  

I have the second issue that my folks or brother grabbed for me. I was three, so I only understood it and enjoyed it as much as I did my Star Wars View Masters and this hand crank film strip toy that you help up to one eye and could see scenes of the movie.  That one I loved because i could turn it backwards and see parts in reverse.  So Darth Vader could magically pull a rebel soldier from the ground to his hand. To a young child, it was pretty cool. As far as the comic, I didn't even realize till I was much older (about 9) that it had scenes and characters (like a buck toothed Jabba the Hutt) that weren't in the movie.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2016 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 10  

I recall seeing the Marvel in-house ads for STAR WARS #1, before the actual film came out... while I didn't own the first issue until years later, that summer for my birthday, I did get the STAR WARS MARVEL TREASURY #1, which I obsessed and poured-over (and being only 5 years old at the time, that thing looked gigantic!).

Like Matt, I then got the TREASURY #2 by that Nov. or Dec. of '77, and again, I seemed to memorize those images backwards & forwards. It was a big thrill for me years later, when I was able to find some decent copies of those Treasuries online. Great memories!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 30 October 2016 at 8:49am

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 30 October 2016 at 10:17am | IP Logged | 11  

I happened to be in my local comic shop -- at that time the only one in Calgary -- when a kid came in with his mother. He was about ten years old and he had the treasury edition. And he was not happy! He wanted his money back! He pointed to many errors in the art and script, most notably Luke's snarled "No!" in response to Han's teasing about whether a princess would be interested in "a guy like me."

The shop owner refused to take the return -- dealer mentality -- so I tried to soften the blow by explaining to the kid the circumstances under which the books were produced, with minimal photo reference and little cooperation from the filmmakers. Didn't help much. He was still out a couple of bucks, and that was a lot of money to him. So I gave him the cover price and told him to keep the comic.

Nice smile from the Mom.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2016 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 12  

Great story! :)

By the way, I was unaware there had been a Treasury Edition of STAR WARS until I read this topic.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2016 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 13  

Three, as a matter of fact... I believe they combined #1 and #2 into one giant STAR WARS MARVEL TREASURY #3, sometime around 1981 or 1982!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2016 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 14  

I thought it was Xmas whenever I bought any Marvel Treasury Edition. As a cynical adult, I know the content is whatever it is, but a child will always think something bigger (comics, cars, houses) are more magical. ;-) 

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2016 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 15  

I got a giant sized one at the grocery store.or at Winn's 5 & Dime.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2016 at 10:25pm | IP Logged | 16  

I saw the second treasury for sale up the street at my local 7-Eleven and ran most of the way home to ask for the purchase price. Once I had that (thank you, Mom & Dad!) I ran all the way back to buy it. I'd gone back and forth between there and home all my life, but that trip was the first time I ran the entire distance without stopping.

Once I got it home, I was disappointed to find it only contained half the story of the movie. I knew there was more to it from the humor magazines I used to buy at the time. Still, I loved the book a lot and still get a nostalgic thrill whenever I see that distinctive cover.

Btw, that treasury, those humor mags, and a few other movie mags such as Starlog were the only way I could experience Star Wars as a kid. My family didn't all get together and go to movies or out to dinner. Dad's schedule didn't permit such things and the rare occasions when something was organized, it inevitably ended in disaster. So we didn't see Star Wars the summer of '77. We finally got to see it when it was re-released early the next year. 

I knew the story backwards and forwards, knew almost everything about it from all the reading I did, but my friends on the playground wouldn't have any of it. I clearly had no idea what I was talking about if I hadn't seen it and seen what a dumb character C-P30 was... "C-3P0," I'd try correcting them. "They write it out most of the time. 'See-Threepio...'" But no, I was a moron. It was C-P30. Trust them. They'd see the film. I hadn't.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 01 November 2016 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 17  

Hm. Is it C-3P0 or C-3PO? Zero or letter O?

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2016 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 18  

I had the oversized versions of the comics.  Marvel Special Edition? The thing that got me were all of the differences. (stuff we now know as deleted scenes).  Biggs on Tatooine, Jabba, etc.  The X-Wings were all "blue squadron" instead of red, Darth Vader is drinking coffee in the big Imperial meeting scene...

I also had the oversized Buck Rogers comic that covered the pilot movie, and eventually the oversized Empire Strike Back comic.  (I believe my grandma picked these up at the drug store off the magazine rack).

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2016 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 19  

"O," the letter would be my pick. I was having typing issues last night. Long day with lots of time spent at the keyboard... But since the Zero is often referred to as an "O," such as in military time ("O-Nine hundred hours"), it makes less difference than rearranging the order of the characters in his name.

Edited by Brian Hague on 01 November 2016 at 7:50pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2016 at 10:24pm | IP Logged | 20  

Hm. Is it C-3P0 or C-3PO? Zero or letter O?
+++++++

Of course, "O" is a letter, and "0" is a number. Yet, in daily life, people all around me use "O" when they really mean "0", probably because "oh" is faster and easier to say than "zero". 

That being said, it's unquestionably "C-3PO". Setting aside the phonetic spelling--"Threepio", not "Threepizero"--a quick glance at vintage sources (the original STAR WARS souvenir book, the STAR WARS STORYBOOK, etc.) all clearly spell it with "O" instead of "0". And, of course, no one, onscreen or behind the scenes, has pronounced the name as anything other than "Threepi-oh". Unless EVERYONE is using poor grammar, and swapping "0"s for "O"s, then that means it's "O".

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 01 November 2016 at 10:26pm

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2016 at 4:13am | IP Logged | 21  

First I got was the treasury editions for Christmas 1977. I knew I was getting them but had to wait. One of my friends was given Treasury 1 when it came out and lauded it over me, knowing I had been getting more and more excited to see the film (I'll say it again so people understand what this 8 year old went through - we didn't get the movie on general release until 1978!!!!)

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 02 November 2016 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 22  

I thought it was Xmas whenever I bought any Marvel Treasury Edition. As a cynical adult, I know the content is whatever it is, but a child will always think something bigger (comics, cars, houses) are more magical. ;-)

••

I was a cynical adult when the treasury editions started to come out, and I thought they were pretty cool. For one thing, they were closer to the actual size of the art, which allowed for better study.

Plus, they weren't all reprints. There was some interesting new stuff mixed in with those, especially a certain meeting between two characters no one outside the industry know was coming!!*

* Sadly, somehow both Marvel and DC had the rights to do a WIZARD OF OZ adaptation†, so the first Marvel/DC crossover was actually that, and not SUPERMAN vs THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN.

† Comics being so ideally suited for the adaptation of MUSICALS.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2016 at 11:30am | IP Logged | 23  

* Sadly, somehow both Marvel and DC had the rights to do a WIZARD OF OZ adaptation†, so the first Marvel/DC crossover was actually that, and not SUPERMAN vs THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN.

Saw it years later (probably 1981/82) in a second-hand bookstore. Was shocked. Had no idea it happened. Nowadays, it'd be in PREVIEWS months before.

+++

† Comics being so ideally suited for the adaptation of MUSICALS.

I was peeved when I discovered this many years ago. Like you said, not ideally suited for adaptations of musicals.

Depressing to think that THE WIZARD OF OZ treasury edition is the answer to the trivia question "What was the first DC/Marvel collaboration?" 

Edited by Robbie Parry on 02 November 2016 at 11:33am

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2016 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 24  

I was in college up at UCONN at the time both the movie and the comics came out. I didn't see the movie when it first came out and I didn't buy the individual comics themselves.
However, the book / comic store up at UCONN at the time did get in the DelRey Ballantine paperback of the 6 issue series and that I did buy. It's still here in my home office, with the collection of Pocket Comics (Marvel, mostly) and Tempo paperbacks (mostly DC).

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2016 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 25  

In the U.K. we got Star Wars Weekly which if memory serves,featured about a quarter of the U.S. monthly story,plus filler material of apt strips like Guardians Of The Galaxy and old Sci-Fi stories with a `twist ending`.We got the comic adaption in the weekly well before the film,so when i actually saw the film i wondered where Biggs was! We got `Free` gifts(One for Robbie!) of cardboard X-Wing and TIE Fighters in the first couple of issues!
Regarding what Robbie said about the lack of internet etc in those days,i remember watching The BAFTA`s,film review shows etc,ANYTHING that might show a clip of Star Wars! Also i recall getting excited at seeing grainy pics of the Gotham City set,Joker and Batman in costume in a Sunday tabloid well before the 1989 Batman film was released,as it was filmed in the U.K.!

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version