Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Music
Byrne Robotics > Music Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: KISS Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2016 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

On the shelves last week was the first issue of a new KISS comic, published by Dynamite. I am a huge KISS fan. In fact, let's not beat around the bush: they are the best band ever...right?!

I haven't read it yet but posted details as there are members of the KISS Army here. It's not the first time KISS has been in a comic book.

I'll read it shortly and put up some thoughts. Anyone else planning to buy it (or maybe you already have?)?

Edited by Robbie Parry on 03 November 2016 at 3:49pm
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2016 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Maybe 20 years ago I might have picked this up, but my comic book collecting days and general interest in KISS have long faded. If I buy any KISS-related stuff these days, it's mostly affordable little knick-knacks, like a mug for my desk at work, or a keychain. And even then, it has to be related to the original '70s line-up and/or album imagery.

Certainly let us know how the comic is, though, Robbie!

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2016 at 6:04am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I bought a hefty Kiss Omnibus from The Works a few years ago for 15! I think it has every comic appearance by the band from the 70`s Marvel specials up to the comics from a few years ago,i`ve yet to get around to reading it,it`s bloody huge!
Back to Top profile | search | email

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2016 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Incidentally, I checked YouTube last night for the notorious Paul Lynde Halloween Special, from 1976. The show as a whole was rather painful, but the KISS segments looked fantastic... DESTROYER-era costumes, an atypically elaborate stage & set for TV, and lots of physical energy while performing (admittedly, they were lip-syncing to album tracks of "Detroit Rock City," "Beth" and "King of the Nighttime World").

They looked great, and the video wasn't too shabby for 40 years old. Afterwards, be sure to check out a 4-minute recollection of the special, from Hollywood comedy writer Bruce Vilanch (also on YouTube)... hysterical and priceless!

Edited by Shaun Barry on 30 October 2016 at 8:32am

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2016 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Certainly let us know how the comic is, though, Robbie!

Sure. :)

***BIG SPOILERS***

The story is set 500 years in the future, quite a while after humanity suffered from a devastating war. People are living in a subterranean city with a regime akin to North Korea. Four youngsters, led by twins, crave freedom and want to trade relative security for freedom. They find a map and head for the surface. KISS make a cameo at the end - or, rather, their holograms do. By the end of the issue, you have no idea what role KISS will play, but I guess we will find that out as the series progresses.

I enjoyed it as a first issue (we are living in the age where the first issue is a warm-up). There is a feeling of nihilism, but the teenagers are very inspiring. Despite the dystopian setting, there is hope. A comic, certainly a first issue, can't be too deep, but I found it quite inspiring the way the teenagers were not content with security within the underground regime; they wanted freedom. Sort of reminds me of that saying about trading freedom for security - and getting neither.

Lots of hints of KISS in the comic. There are KISS logos and merchandise around in the surface world. It'll be interesting to find out what is going on.

I must confess to a certain bias: I am a HUGE fan of KISS. They are my favorite band. I would invest in horse manure if there was a KISS logo on it. This comic may not appeal to KISS fans. In fact, you probably have to be a KISS fan to appreciate it. I am intrigued by where they will go with the story, though.

In particular, I am impressed with an art style that showcases both nihilism and hope/positivity (it's usually one and the other). I usually wait for TPBs nowadays, but I'm glad I picked this up.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2016 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"I would invest in horse manure if there was a KISS logo on it."

One of the greatest, funniest things I've ever read from a fellow KISS fan. Love it!!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2016 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

:D And the reality is, I am not even joking, my friend.

Next to Pink Floyd, they are the only band I've followed religiously. And not just with their music, but other merchandise, too.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2016 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I bought a hefty Kiss Omnibus from The Works a few years ago for 15! I think it has every comic appearance by the band from the 70`s Marvel specials up to the comics from a few years ago,i`ve yet to get around to reading it,it`s bloody huge!

Do you think this new comic will interest you, Bill?

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2016 at 1:19am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Yes,Robbie,i previewed the first couple of pages on Comixology,so based on your recommendation i will give it a shot.I purchased a load of Tp`s out of their Halloween sale,Man-Thing,Frankenstein and Blade by Marc Guggenheim and Howard Chaykin,so i have a fair amount to read!
Regarding Kiss and the fact you`d buy manure with the Kiss logo on it,i`m the same with Rush and Iron Maiden! Also,with ex-Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy,if he`s involved in a project i buy it,wether it be Flying Colors,Transatlantic,Winery Dogs,Avenged Sevenfold or Neal Morse Band,if he`s involved i know it will be good!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2016 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

By the way, break out your copies of ROCK AND ROLL OVER... it officially turns 40 years old on November 11!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2016 at 6:09am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Take Me. One of the lesser known gems. As is Baby Driver. Probably my favorite Pete tune. 

I really wish they'd do some kind of tour where the set was all deep cuts. Sorta like the convention tour. I actually see them again for that. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2016 at 2:19pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

So what's your favourite KISS album, guys?

Has to be this one:

I've played this album more than any other album (not just referring to KISS here).

"Detroit Rock City" continues to give me a buzz; there's an otherworldly and epic quality about "God of Thunder"; and "Beth" is, well, different.

Proud to own this album.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2016 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Not sure if I should turn in my KISS card, but DESTROYER is probably only in my #5 spot (though it does feature the single greatest song in their entire catalog: "Detroit Rock City" is their hard-rock masterpiece).

My #1 is neck & neck with the first KISS album, but I'd have to pick DRESSED TO KILL.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2016 at 5:53pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Great choice.

"Detroit Rock City" is awesome. I prefer "God of Thunder" on that album, though. It's my favourite track. Like I said, so otherworldly and epic.

By the way, and this doesn't just apply to KISS, where do they get their energy from? Almost immortal. Well over 40+ years of KISS. I know some are no longer with us, but as a brand, how can KISS have had such longevity? It's pretty awe-inspiring.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2016 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I like Love Gun,remember the vinyl edition had a cardboard `Love Gun` inside,plus nice art! I also like Dynasty AND The Elder! I must admit my favourite is Destroyer though,i remember seeing it in a shop window in 1976 and being captivated by the cover,but i had no means of buying it at that age! Then,in 1979 i had an after school job and bought Dynasty,but they mistakenly put the Destroyer album inside the cover(Remember when the empty covers were on display,but the sleeve containing the record was behind the counter?) i was initially disappointed when i got home,but upon hearing Destroyer,i made sure i bought that too when i returned it to the record shop!
I first saw them live in September 1980 at Bingley Hall,Stafford,not long after Eric Carr joined.
Have any of you read Paul Stanley`s autobiography? Well worth a read!
Here`s a question...what are your favourite solo albums from the 1978 quadruple release? I rate Paul and Ace`s equal number one,Gene`s number 2 and Peter`s is 3rd.
I remember getting the single release from each album,picture sleeve,with coloured vinyl matching the main hue of each album,plus a card mask of each member...so frustrating that i could never get the Ace single New York Groove on blue vinyl with mask!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2016 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I can't pick a favourite, but that quadruple release, wow. What a thing to do.

I have read Paul Stanley's autobiography. Like you, well worth a read.

I am gonna collect KISS all over again on vinyl. I did have some, but like anyone, I gravitated towards cassettes and CDs in the late 80s/early 90s, especially as vinyl went out of fashion.

I want DESTROYER on vinyl! :)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2016 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I've read all the autobiographies EXCEPT Paul's. Can't find a cheap copy anywhere.

Gene's was just Gene being Gene. Jesus, he's a lot like Trump.

Pete's was pretty much, "those guys all fucked me. Even Ace. Fuck them, they still owe me money." Also reveals Ace fucked dudes on the road in the 70s.

Ace's was, "eh, maybe they fucked me. Fuck it, let's get drunk/ high."

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2016 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

favorite album is ALIVE. If we're going studio albums, I'm going with HOTTER THAN HELL.

I'm probably the only KISS fan that actually liked, no, loved, CARNIVAL OF SOULS.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2016 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Brian,i got the Kindle version for a reasonable price.I read Ace`s book,he seemed full of self pity and a bit of a dick,he kept saying he was clean/sober but the amount of U.K. tours he`s cancelled for not very convincing reasons worries me.Then there was him being bankrupt for reneging on a $700,000 mortgage a few years ago,made me wonder where the money he made from royalties went.I suspect Peter`s book is very similar!
As for Gene,yes he`s a bit of a Neanderthal and his `hair` is as ridiculous as Trump`s!
I was never into Grunge,so i avoided Carnival Of Souls,maybe i should check it out!
One thing i learned from reading the credits on Gene`s solo album...Katy Sagal(Peg Bundy of Married With Children/Leela from Futurama) did backing vocals!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2016 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Had to share this tweet:

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2016 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Top 5 favorite albums:

1. DRESSED TO KILL
2. KISS
3. ALIVE!
4. ROCK AND ROLL OVER
5. DESTROYER

Haven't read any of the biographies, every one of them seems off-putting to me, for some reason. If I had to, I think the only one that would make sense for me to read would be Paul's... he seems like the most level-headed of the original line-up. Peter seems too angry, Ace too flaky, and if there's indeed a "Donald Trump" of the rock 'n roll world, it's gotta be Gene!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2016 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

What led you to KISS?

I came across them in the mid-80s. They looked cool. I had been into heavy metal for a while. And rock, too. And when I started buying their vinyl, it just clicked for me.

Thing is, people don't appreciate it in the internet age, but unless you were buying rock magazines regularly, the only way to discover a new band was serendipity. I discovered them (I wasn't born when they started their career). I enjoyed what I heard. And I've been a fan ever since.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2016 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

What led you to KISS?

I was 4-5. My cousin had DESTROYER and RARO. I thought those covers were just about the coolest things ever. She gave me the albums and the rest is history.

Or, KISStory, if you will.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2016 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I was never into Grunge,so i avoided Carnival Of Souls,maybe i should check it out!

Hmmm. If you don't like grunge, maybe you shouldn't. Although, It's one of the best SOUNDING KISS albums ever.

I know they were just aping the style of what was popular at the time( a VERY popular theme with the band), but I thought they did a damn fine job in pulling it off.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2016 at 4:16pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I thought those covers were just about the coolest things ever.

That's the right answer, Brian. ;-)

Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version