Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: The Walking Dead Season 7 SPOILERS (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2016 at 5:11am | IP Logged | 1  

Episode 2 was pretty watchable. I confess, I was missing the Negan/Rick storyline, but Ezekiel was intriguing. Morgan and Carol remain compelling for me.

I don't trust Ezekiel. Maybe it's because everyone they come across turns out to be not to be trusted. Is Ezekiel eccentric or bad? I don't know. 

I still think this series has much mileage left. After Ezekiel, Rick and others defeat Negan, though, where will they go next? Who could be the next big bad?
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 01 November 2016 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 2  

Michael Roberts wrote:
I thought this was one of the best episodes in a long time. Ezekiel and 
Shiva sounded strange when I heard about him from comic readers, 
but the logic around the characters totally worked for me.

This.  I don't find their introduction a "jump the shark" moment for me.  Far from it.  It provided levity in the form of Carol's reactions and heart in the form of Ezekiel's optimism.  Great counterpoint to the season premiere.  I'm not quite sure what's so unrealistic about Ezekiel and Shiva.  Worked for me and I'm pretty much a "civilian" to this story having only gotten up to the end of the Governor story in the comics.  

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2016 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 3  

Great counterpoint to the season premiere.

Good point. Although I was curious about Negan and Rick, I needed something more inspiring in the second episode. 

I think a show like this shows the different tolerance levels people have. A friend of mine tells me he has zero interest in Carol - yet I find her an extremely compelling character. So the series can be all things to all people. For someone like myself, who finds Carol compelling, the episode is rewarding, but for a person who has zero interest in Carol, I can see why "The Well" would not have been appealing.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2016 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 4  

I had zero interest in Carol when the show began. The show has a wonderful job of developing her character. She is so interesting now. She went from a character I didn't care if lived or died. To now being one of my favorites.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2016 at 12:52am | IP Logged | 5  

Excellent Carol episode and a well-timed change of pace.  Seems to me the pigs eating walkers would make their meat infected which the Saviors would quickly figure out so I don't understand that endgame.  I suppose if you properly cook tainted meat it would be okay but Ezekial's stated desire not to make waves with them feels at odds with this at best passive aggressive move.  Either Ezekial really likes Carol or he won't really let her leave for some reason, which suggests darker motives.  For now I'm going to choose the "lighter" explanation, which is that he's a semi-stalker and likes her. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2016 at 4:54am | IP Logged | 6  

I suppose if you properly cook tainted meat it would be okay...

Okay, Rick, you go and eat zombie-tainted meat. I'll form a queue behind you and wait for you. ;-) You first.

Good points about Ezekiel. I don't read the comics so have no idea what he is about (plus, the TV show diverges, anyway). It'd be nice if someone in TWD had pure motives for a change, but it's hard to trust anyone. Even the Governor was charming early on.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2016 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 7  

I thought the tainted pigs was a nice move. If it plays out like slow process of poisoning the Saviors. Which coincide with Kingdom,Hilltop and Alexandria groups attacking while they are weak. Is a good strategy.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2016 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 8  

Enjoyed this episode, particularly after the opener but felt the ease in which Carol and Morgan were taken into Ezekiel's confidence (with his backstory and the deal with Saviours respectively) was lazy writing. Had they stumbled on these truths there would have been some logic but there was no pressure to bring them in on these reveals other than to further the plot.

We saw far more of the Kingdom in this episode than we ever had in the comic and it struck me there is actually very little difference between it, Hilltop and Alexandrea save for one thing: leadership. With that in mind, begs the question why anyone would keep Rick as leader given his track record of his communities continually falling apart.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2016 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 9  

Okay, Rick, you go and eat zombie-tainted meat. I'll form a queue behind you and wait for you. ;-) You first.
I'd have to be a LOT hungrier than I am at present!  But then, in the world of TWD I have my doubts I would have lasted this long anyway.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2016 at 3:33pm | IP Logged | 10  

Enjoyed this episode, particularly after the opener but felt the ease in which Carol and Morgan were taken into Ezekiel's confidence (with his backstory and the deal with Saviours respectively) was lazy writing. Had they stumbled on these truths there would have been some logic but there was no pressure to bring them in on these reveals other than to further the plot.

Agreed.

Seems to be a lot of hate for the CGI tiger elsewhere on the internet. Not really sure why.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2016 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 11  

the ease in which Carol and Morgan were taken into Ezekiel's confidence (with his backstory and the deal with Saviours respectively) was lazy writing. Had they stumbled on these truths there would have been some logic but there was no pressure to bring them in on these reveals other than to further the plot.
Agreed.
+++++
Yep.  It's the show's ole' bugaboo, pacing... while they more frequently let things drag on too long they also occasionally take unneeded shortcuts just to get the plot moving or lined up with some other event.  In this case, Ezekial's origin with Shiva and nutty charisma / powers over the townspeople might have made for an interesting mystery for at least a week or two.  Even if Carol and Morgan don't stumble onto the truth, at least make Carol really have to earn Ezekial's respect and trust to get the truth from him rather than him just giving it all away to a stranger he barely just met.  This may be more ammo suggesting Ezekial really does like Carol and thus confided in her early.  But again, I'd rather it took more time for Ezekial to get there, particularly in this world where so many people turn out to be unreliable.

Edited by Rick Senger on 02 November 2016 at 4:20pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2016 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 12  

That is true. Balance not always right.

There is a definite advantage, by the way, to not reading the comics (I've never read a single issue). Everything comes as a surprise. I know the TV show diverges, but it's all a surprise to me.

Got FEAR THE WALKING DEAD to watch soon, by the way (Blu-ray).

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2016 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 13  

Wow, Negan makes the Governor look like a wimp. 

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2016 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 14  

So, we learned more about what a tyrant Negan is. We learned why Dwight is where he is. Sherry, Dwight’s former wife and is now (gasp!) Negan’s wife. The burning question I have right now is.... what makes everyone follow Negan???? Many will say he's convinced his followers that they'll all "live like kings" but it's hard to buy that they'd follow a guy holding a barbwire baseball bat ready to bash someone's head in at a moment's notice if they disobey him. That's pretty intimidating and cause for maybe overthrowing him as a leader. I feel the Governor was a smarter leader who was more charming, while Negan is all intimidation.

-C! 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2016 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 15  

I stopped reading the comics before Negan's arrival so I have no clue if he has some hidden ability / asset / agenda beyond what we've seen but I agree he seems more brazen and up front about his callous disregard for morality and decency than the typical general of this world.  The Governor had his secret 100 fish tanks full of heads but he also presented a facade of humanity, particularly initially.  When you listened to him at first, he could sound and act reasonably.  He also treated his lieutenants to some of the spoils.  The Termites were human slime but they seemed to have a hierarchy and their organization distributed the wealth they stole from their victims so that participants benefited from their horrific process. 

While Dwight did get to enjoy that yummy sandwich, it is clear Negan rules through fear and intimidation rather than trust and mutual respect.  He's not stupid, certainly has a specific and creepy charisma / charm when he wants and his pimp hand is strong in the protection racket but so far he seems to be little more than a really effective bully.  I'm fascinated by his warped relationship with Dwight, whose conditioned servitude is remarkable given their history.  His psychological breakdown of Rick in the season premiere was striking.  But even if he is a master at psychological manipulation and intimidation, that approach usually doesn't end well historically.  It's hard to imagine there won't been a mass uprising against Negan someday and that Dwight won't ultimately be a part of it. 

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2016 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 16  

If the show follows the comic, it's a combination of things that work against Negan ultimately. Threats inside and outside.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2016 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 17  

This series continues to have odd pacing. Just wonderif the story would have been better served if the last two episodes could have been spliced together with action switching from one camp to the other, perhaps with Rick's people, and what is happening with them, making a third strand.

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2016 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 18  

The beginning of this season seems to follow the pacing of the back half of season 4, when everyone was separated following the fall of the prison. As it got closer to the end of that half of the season, the individual episodes started 'splicing' different threads together.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2016 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 19  

So we got a 90 min episode last night that showed us... Negan being Negan, which we're learning, is all about the verbal posturing. He gloats and asks dopey rhetorical questions to Rick as he aims to keep everyone in Alexandria off-balance with changing demands. After a stupid move by Carl, Negan takes the group's gun supply.

Your classic bully stuff - laced with plenty of profanities. (Which really could've been handled in a normal 60 minute episode.)

Sure, the producers are building tension, making the ultimate defeat of Negan, or an escape from him, that much sweeter - I get that. Still, I really want the backstory on Negan and HOW exactly he became the unopposed leader of the Saviors in the first place! Hope to get that before the series goes on its mid-season break in a few weeks.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 14 November 2016 at 5:18pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2016 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 20  

Negan is an awwwesome bad guy. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2016 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 21  

"The Governor had his secret 100 fish tanks full of heads but he also presented a facade of humanity, particularly initially. "

The Governor is a seducer, whereas Negan is an outright rapist. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2016 at 6:00pm | IP Logged | 22  

Jeffery Dean Morgan has me conflicted. I want to see Negan take a dirt nap. At the same time I want Morgan to stay on the show.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2016 at 8:17pm | IP Logged | 23  

Thought I was gonna back off of the show this season but curiosity got
the best of me. I'm caught up and I have to say that Jeffrey Dean
Morgan and Khary Payton (Ezekiel) are very welcome presences on
the series. I've been a fan of JDM's for some time but Payton was only
known to me as a voice-over actor playing Cyborg on TEEN TITANS
and Aqualad on YOUNG JUSTICE. So far, I'm really liking what he's
doing.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 24  

Payton is really good, though we've only seen him in one episode so far so we have a lot to learn about Ezekiel.

Morgan is just terrific. He's endlessly watchable in whatever he's doing.

And Negan made a bad mistake leaving Rick alive. Sure, he's in shock now...but Rick has a way of figuring out how to beat the odds against him.

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 25  

The  main flaw with the Season 7 Episode 4 episode is the short passage of time and the presence of "broken Darryl".  It's established here that the episode takes place 3 days after the killing of Glen and Abraham.  Fine.  However, coming with "broken Darryl" contradicts what we saw in the last episode with Negan & Dwight attempting to break Darryl.  It's heavily implied that the time for them doing this is a period of "weeks" not "days." So, confusion occurs (at least for me).

Thoughts?

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version