Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk
Topic: College Football 2016 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2016 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 1  

Alabama looks good.  Their schedule is challenging and they continue to beat up on teams in most phases of the game, taking down #6 Tex A+M yesterday impressively after trailing briefly.  After that, there are a lot of Big 10 schools (4 in the top ten) making noise, though Ohio State's loss to Penn State yesterday shakes things up obviously.  Michigan and my Nebraska Cornhuskers are still undefeated, though Nebraska's toughest games lie ahead, traveling to top 10 Wisconsin next week, Ohio State the following week and a matchup with Michigan if they win out. Clemson is right there; they beat Louisville and have FSU next week, which should answer some questions.  Washington, Baylor and W Va are also undefeated, though their schedules haven't impressed most critics yet.  I'm pretty happy with the 4 team playoff format, which has improved the chances of the most deserving teams getting their shot.

Edited by Rick Senger on 23 October 2016 at 11:46am
Back to Top profile | search | email

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 October 2016 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 2  

Oh, the hell with Alabama. I'm sure they would have beaten Tennessee anyway, but the refs helped them that game. The announcers were even biased toward the Tide, because they didn't mention jersey grabbing until it happened to an Alabama player in the second half, while Josh Dobbs got grabbed and slung to the ground by his jersey in the first half. The Tide are dirty, and I have no respect at all for them.

I'm glad Ohio State got beaten, but not that it was Penn State who pulled it off. PSU is a cult that still worships Joe Paterno. Worst case scenario would be an Alabama-Ohio State title game.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2016 at 11:45am | IP Logged | 3  

Oh, the hell with Alabama. I'm sure they would have beaten Tennessee anyway, but the refs helped them that game. The announcers were even biased toward the Tide, because they didn't mention jersey grabbing until it happened to an Alabama player in the second half, while Josh Dobbs got grabbed and slung to the ground by his jersey in the first half. The Tide are dirty, and I have no respect at all for them.
I'd like to see an hour special on ESPN where they demonstrate plays that show what's legal vs illegal because In the last couple years, I've found MOST teams are doing that grabbing crap and it only seems to get called about 40% of the time, and very inconsistently.  I was watching a Nebraska game the other week were the DB completely turned the receiver around with the hand wrapped around the hip move and when they showed the replay in slo-mo isolation, one of the commentators called it "a bit handsy but really, great defense."  To me that's BS.  Both players have a right to try for the ball but when a defender clearly impedes or redirects the receiver's movement / path before the ball arrives and the defender is not even going for the ball, that's pass interference.  Doesn't seem to be how it's called these days.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2016 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 4  

Just got back from the Tennessee-Missouri game. The Vols' run defense was even worse than I thought, because Missouri had way more yardage than they should have. However, one of Missouri's TDs they got thanks to a bs penalty from the refs that gave them a 1st down when we had stopped them dead on a 4th down. The refs did a fairly good job, except for that and calling a penalty on the Vols on the same play the Tigers got a penalty so they offset each other; the penalty on the Vols shouldn't have been called. (The Vols did get other penalty calls that were deserved, but those two? Hell no.)

LSU lost, so its the Gators vs. Crimson Turd for the SEC championship. Possible shocker (but maybe not) to Matt Reed: I'll be for Florida. Because 1. I dislike but at least respect Florida, but I absolutely HATE Alabama. 2. The Vols can at least say they're better than the champs if the Gators win.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 19 November 2016 at 8:55pm

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 November 2016 at 2:23pm | IP Logged | 5  

Interesting developments in the Big 10.  Thanks to a strong conference this year, Ohio State, the #2 team in the country who just beat then #3 Michigan, did not win their division.  #7 B10 Penn State won it and will play #6 Wisconsin in the B10 Championship and that winner will hope to make their case to get in the top four.  Michigan is #5 after their OT loss, but beat both #6 Wisconsin and #7 Penn State (49-10) as well as possible Pac12 champion Colorado yet could be left out if Washington beats Colorado in the Pac12 Championship.  Their best hope is if #3 Clemson is upset in their ACC Championship game but that seems unlikely. Nebraska was as high as #6 making five B10 teams in the top seven at one point, but the Huskers have fallen badly and are out of it.  Still, as usual despite the enlarged 4 team format, it seems likely somebody will be arguably deserving of a slot but denied it. 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version