Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Supergirl Season 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 31 October 2016 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

And besides, given the number of ex-Glee actors on the DC superhero shows, Maggie Sawyer totally should've been played by Jane Lynch!

•••

Katee Sackhoff!

Back to Top profile | search

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2016 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Katee Sackhoff!
--

Not the first name that sprung to mind, but that would be awesome casting!

Eric Morin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2016 at 3:49pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I couldn't see Jane Lynch as Maggie Sawyer but I can see
Katee Sackhoff in the role. Of course I would love to
see Katee Sackhoff have a role on every TV show I watch.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2016 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

From the past couple of episodes, I've noted that Snapper Carr (sigh...) is not being unreasonable, or a hard ass, or a real tyrant. He's being a legitimate boss and real newspaper editor who's telling Kara what to do to be a good reporter and how to get a publishable story. And every time he tells her this information, she rolls her eyes, implying (at least to me) "He's so mean!"

I wonder if her training with Superman had the same results. "He wants me to save innocents first... why can't I just do what I want in a hostage situation? He's so mean!"

And it seems pretty obvious that Mon-El is actually filling the role of Halk-Kar... "Superman's Older Brother" (Superman #80, http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Superman_Vol_1_80). I don't mind this; a little less invulnerability makes the character more interesting and dramatic. After all, NO ONE thinks that Supergirl can be shot and end up in any danger... maybe not so for Mon-El. Perhaps we might even compare him to Superman as he was originally presented. In any case, it makes him more interesting, I think.

And for heaven's sake, PLEASE let the budding relationship be a red herring. It's too obvious. Now, if Supergirl were to develop a crush on Snapper (sigh...) - THAT would be a plot twist that would get my attention.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2016 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Carr has become a better presence than he was in that first appearance.
And Mon-El has possibilities. He's far less powerful than Supergirl and thus might become a more cunning fighter than she's had to be.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2016 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

So I guess the anecdote above suggests that Reeves was not a big
HELLBLAZER fan. :)
------------------------------------------------------

Hah! Guess Not!

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2016 at 7:37pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

QUOTE:
And for heaven's sake, PLEASE let the budding relationship be a red herring. It's too obvious. Now, if Supergirl were to develop a crush on Snapper (sigh...) - THAT would be a plot twist that would get my attention. 

Suppose the budding relationship turns out to be Mon-El and Winn?

Apparently, executive producer Andrew Kreisberg said (via Entertainment Weekly) a major character on The CW’s DC TV universe is about to come out as gay.

If the show in question is Supergirl, there has already been speculation that it could be either Alex or Winn.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2016 at 3:07am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

They probably call him "Snapper" because he looks like a grumpy ol' swamp turtle.
Back to Top profile | search | email

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2016 at 3:35am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

And Supergirl's first words to Mon-El WEREN'T :"Wow, your name is El too!" ?

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2016 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Brandon - it looks as if Supergirl is setting up, rather obviously, a relationship between Alex and Maggie. Kinda odd, because if I remember, Alex mentioned that she had dated a few guys in the first season. Of course, that's not indicative of any type of relationship - bisexuals date guys. But it just seems like a paradigm shift about Alex.

And naturally, there is already an openly gay major character in the CW DCU - Curtis Holt on Arrow. So there aren't really any surprises with regards to the nature of relationships.

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2016 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

QUOTE:
Brandon - it looks as if Supergirl is setting up, rather obviously, a relationship between Alex and Maggie.

It certainly does appear that way. Although if the writers intend this reveal to be a surprise, it may still be someone else. 

Winn and Mon-El seem to have developed a "bromance" which had me wondering if they would be the ones winding up in a relationship.

However, if the preview for next weeks episode is any indication, Mon-El clearly likes the gals. :-)

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2016 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Eric Sofer:

From the past couple of episodes, I've noted that Snapper Carr (sigh...) is not being unreasonable, or a hard ass, or a real tyrant. He's being a legitimate boss and real newspaper editor who's telling Kara what to do to be a good reporter and how to get a publishable story. And every time he tells her this information, she rolls her eyes, implying (at least to me) "He's so mean!"

======

In my head, I'm just calling this character "Steve Lombard." It's the only way to cope…

I loved the scene where he chewed her out for writing an op-ed piece against Lena Luthor's alien-detection device, when he had wanted a straight news story. Thing is, during that scene as he read the text, she smiled so much at the brilliance of her own copy — before he tore her to pieces, and made her rewrite it. This really showed in somewhat melodramatic terms the beginner's naiveté I've seen so many times in the news business. (Including from myself, I openly confess.)

He was so absolutely right in that scene (which Kara herself had to admit later on, in her conversation with Lena) that I'm hopeful we're going to see it more fully spelled out just how he's toughening her up and training her for the job.

Also, in this latest episode, note that in her initial pitches to him about the underground alien fight club, he didn't tell her, "No." He actually told her, point by point, all the things she would need to do in order to complete the story.

Another point on this: By citing "Supergirl" as her source, she is now in the same ethical minefield as Peter Parker has always been, with his news photos of Spider-Man. With the way she tripped over herself in that scene, I get the feeling this is going to become a real problem in episodes to come.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2016 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

it looks as if Supergirl is setting up, rather obviously, a relationship between Alex and Maggie.

Yeah. In that last episode, you could see the disappointment when Maggie/Montoya's girlfriend comes up as Alex is asking her out for a drink.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2016 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Steve Lombard was a jerk sportscaster who played an interminable series of practical jokes on Clark Kent, literally one each issue, for years. He had no authority over anyone and did not function in any way as an editor. He was a Flash Thompson who never got any better as he grew older. How this anything like a Lou Grant type?

Are the people here thinking of Morgan Edge when they type Steve Lombard's name? Edge was a hardass exec became everyone's boss when Galaxy Communications bought the Daily Planet in the early 1970's. It was Edge who decided to put Kent behind a television news desk. In early issues, he was working for Darkseid and Intergang, although that plotline was allowed to trail off into limbo. 

I've also seen Josh Coyle's name mentioned. Coyle was the always under stress, antacid-popping on-set director of the WGBS news broadcast Clark Kent co-anchored with Lana Lang. He had no editorial oversight or real power either. 

Granted, Coyle and Lombard are closer to the mark than Snapper Carr in terms of relationship to the Superman mythos, but wouldn't really score any higher on the fidelity meter than he does. Clearly, the creators of this show, like so many others from so many other productions, simply see the comics as a sort of grab-bag or toy box they're contractually obligated to strip-mine for copyrighted names and concepts, original treatment be damned. "We need a name for somebody that sounds like he's going to bite their heads off. Gimme that list again..."Snapper" Carr... Yeah, I like that... Sounds like he's surly and ill-tempered... We're going with it!"

It's way too "inside baseball" to have ever been considered, and the actor is now in his 80's, but the name would actually have been pretty damned funny if the role had been cast with Edd Byrnes, Kookie from 77 Sunset Strip...

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2016 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Brian, in more recent comics (none of which I've actually read), Steve Lombard is the sports editor of the Daily Planet, and is apparently more of a misogynist (he most likely still wouldn't know what that word means).
I sometimes got Lombard and Edge mixed up when I was a kid.
EDIT: Apparently, the "Morgan Edge as a criminal" plotline was teased in SUPERMAN and ACTION but was mostly handled and resolved in JIMMY OLSEN, in 1971. (spoiler: Not the real Morgan Edge). 
I've read very little of the early '70s runs, but I do recall a scene where 'Edge' was being particularly nasty in his office, and when he left, an unidentified character was obscured, held prisoner behind a wall(or maybe in a closet), wishing he could be free to stop the 'impostor'. This was later revealed to be the real Edge.

Edited by Brian O'Neill on 03 November 2016 at 11:32am

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2016 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Ah, I keep failing to take into account the constant over-and-over again rebooting that goes on... Why would anyone want to reboot Steve Lombard? Who cares? From a certain perspective, there can never be a "wrong" version of any character ever anymore. It's always just one more "re-imagining." Wonder Woman is an exciting and sassy octogenarian living in Fort Lauderdale whose never had super-powers, never left the state of New Jersey until her kids relocated her to a nursing home far away from them, and has never been within fifty miles of a super-villain fracas! But she's such a crabby lil' wisecracker, you just gotta love her! Batman was a dying fetus with a bullet lodged in its skull, plucked from his gunshot mother's womb by the dark wizard Starro the Conqueror (also a re-imagining) and given special bat-powers to battle the dread, spectral forces of Kanjar Ro and his four sub-demons, Sugar, Spike, Angel, and the Ape! Superman is an inflatable pool toy who comes to life only when Krypto, the family dog, summons him.

What? None of it is wrong, per se. It's just the next version!

I do recall some of that business about a Morgan Edge clone and the DNA Project now that you mention it... 

Edited by Brian Hague on 03 November 2016 at 12:30pm

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2016 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

If a character is going to come out, my bet is on Alex, after Monday's Supergirl. She seemed to have a bit of a crush on Maggie Sawyer and was disappointed when her girlfriend showed up.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2016 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

As for Snapper Carr, the incisive nature of his criticism reminds me of copy editors I used to know--and has gone a long way to redeem him in my view.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2016 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

"Superman is an inflatable pool toy who comes to life only when Krypto*, the family dog, summons him."

Seems Legit. 

Make Mine Doom Patrol.

*No actual families** were harmed to create Krypto the family dog.

** The LeHodermans are not considered to be an actual family by the US Federal Department of Social Work at this time.

Edited by Emery Calame on 03 November 2016 at 8:05pm

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 November 2016 at 11:17pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

In the post-Crisis universe, Morgan Edge was just plain evil. After he went to prison for his work with Intergang, his media businesses got taken over by his father Vincent Edge — who, while not a supervillain, represented the evils of real-life media executives. Vinnie Edge was a sensationalist concerned with ratings over truth and ethics, and both sexually harassed Cat Grant and then spread vicious innuendos about her after she publicly blew the whistle against him.

So basically, the late-'80s/early-'90s Superman creative teams predicted Roger Ailes at Fox News.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 November 2016 at 10:31pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

The Post-Crisis Superman universe just sounds like an endless supply of "yuck."

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2016 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Only after he died.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 November 2016 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Post-Crisis Superman - when Mr. Byrne did his treatment, he seemed to have a very clear vision, and held to a very strict course of events and progress that were very honest to the Superman legend.

Once others got hold of Superman, it seemed to me that it was "School's out! We can do whatever we want! Mock him, call him a boy scout, screw with the supporting characters - and he's Superman, but OUR Superman!"

It had little appeal to me when Superman got dragged into the ridiculous, supported by the inane, and living in the bizarre. Sloppy artists drawing him off-model did little to help with that.

In "Supergirl", I see that they're staying on model, and while I don't like her S-shield, I understand that it's hers, and her way of differentiating from her cousin. I guess I'm okay with that. Her character doesn't bother me very much, but I wanted to see a little more maturing and a little more progress in Linda's character than "the helpless-but-competent little girl." Still, it's Supergirl... it gets several passes from me.

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2016 at 6:10pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

It was charming to see Lynda Carter as the President and still enjoying the show quite a bit.

That having been said, the social commentary is becoming a bit heavy-handed IMO, especially the last couple of episodes.

Media bias
An "Alien Amnesty" bill
Corporations marketing "alien detection" devices for profit
Krypton and Daxam basically being the US and Great Britain

Nothing wrong with a series being event-driven and topical, but I would hate to see these shows become a political soapbox.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2016 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Supergirl, 11/14. That was an interesting episode.

Some kinda fun stuff, and a couple of VERY bad story points.

I guess I didn't mind the Parasite - I knew it was him as soon as I saw it was Rudy Jones, so there's probably no way to avoid the giveaways. Unless they change the character name, or identity, but that wouldn't seem to be exactly a snap.

Is Supergirl really so stupid? After her first combat with the Parasite, and the knowledge that he can absorb her abilities by touching her... maybe she SHOULDN'T LET HIM TOUCH HER. But I'm just speculating here...

J'onn got a blood transfusion from M'gann... okay, that's interesting. But why? I didn't see him bleeding, and I didn't see the Parasite using fire. Another great mystery...

After I swallowed my bile and rage, and had some Kirby Krackle bars :), I admit that the new Guardian is the Guardian for the 21st century. I can tolerate that; but I do rather wish that Win would have been in touch with Cisco or Felicity about this. Well, I guess it'll come...

OUTRAGE ITEM: Why force Mon-El to be a hero? Supergirl and Alex both told him he has a responsibility to be a hero - WHY? Does every person on Earth have an obligation to be a policeman, a soldier, a fireman? Powers and abilities far beyond those of an ordinary mortal do not demand one take on the role of hero. Oh, surely, it's nice when it happens - but maybe it's simply not Mon-El's destiny. Why would they demand it of him? That's a little selfish and a little forceful.

OUTRAGE ITEM: Alex and Maggie - what the freaking hell? WHAT. THE. ACTUAL. F*CK. I knew girls like that from a while back... we called them prick teases, although obviously that doesn't apply in this case. Maggie makes the case that she likes Alex, that Alex should come out to her family, and that things could be good. Alex goes through these agonizing revelations with Supergirl (thanks to the writers for making her accepting of this - as noted, feeling strange and new to a situation) - and then Maggie BLUE BALLS Alex? "I will be your friend..." Oh my God. That is entirely inappropriate, and has turned Maggie Sawyer into a villain. Maybe one working for the police, but a villain.

There were moments I liked in this episode, but not enough to overcome my outrage. VERY rocky episode.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version