Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: How Important Are (Retrospective) Letters Pages For You? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 1  

It can be interesting to examine historically.

A magazine years ago claimed laserdisc was the future and that any replacement format would not be as successful. I smile when I think of that letter now. Blu-rays/DVDs, anyone? What happened to laserdisc?

So it can be good to browse back issues of newspapers, magazines and comics to see how wrong some were. 

This won't mean anything to non-wrestling fans, but recall a letter back in 1994 (when Hulk Hogan signed with WCW), something about how they only envisioned a six-month run for him as anything longer would be unrealistic. His WCW run lasted from June 1994 until 2000. Six years, not six months. ;-)

It's not always about people being wrong, though. Others proven to be very prophetic.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 2  

I always enjoyed reading lettercols, and found it very fun to be "on the other side" of them during my time with WildStorm. I wrote responses for several of the titles back then and liked it a lot.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 3  

It's the cool names I liked:

"Speed Reading"
"Letters By Lantern Light"
"Gray Matter"
"Metropolis Mailbag"

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 4  

Something that bothered me a bit was that the letters on each issue obviously dealt with past issues. I always thought it would be great to read the letters right after reading the issue they talked about.
Now, with TPBs they could do that. Too bad they don't.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 5  

TPBs could do that and it would be great.

Wouldn't it be great to pick up some of Mr Byrne's TPBs and see letters from that era?

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 6  

Like anything, the letters pages could be interesting or dull, but I miss them, too. The letters pages for the short-lived Joker series were a hoot because they were answered by The Joker himself.;)I occasionally have sought ought a back issue because I read about it in an old letters page.

vishard chandool
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2016 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 7  

I always found Letters Pages interesting, but moreso when reading a really old comic. It gives a sense of the time when the comic was produced. 

I also find it amusing that the letters page in E-Man was called E-mail! If they only knew!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2016 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 8  

Wow, I didn't know the Joker answered the mail for his title. See, that's a reason to seek out the issues rather than the TPBs.

I agree with Vishard about it giving a sense of the time when the comic was published. It didn't get printed but I sent a letter to Marvel once saying how I thought their Marvel 2099 universe was going to be big and run forever. It did fizzle out in many respects so I was wrong. 

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2016 at 2:17pm | IP Logged | 9  

"A Flame About This High" was really special as JB's answers were long and thoughtful and not just a few lines as the old DC and Marvel letter cols were (and I loved those too but we weren't really told who was answering those.).  It was the hard copy, less interactive version of the Forum.  I remember that it seemed every other issue, somebody was asking, "Why aren't any of the Next Men gay?" to which JB would patiently reply- these five just weren't.  It was a different time.  The commmunity was finally emerging from 10 dark years of the AIDS crisis to hope for the first time so we were flexing again.  Even in my twenties, I'd write my letters longhand to comics and magazines and wonder why they were never published. (Because they were illegible.)

I wanted to be T.M. Maple who got published EVERYWHERE!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2016 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 10  

I've said it before, and I'll say it again… I'd by a complete collection of the
JBNM letters pages.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2016 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 11  

Playing spot the future pro is always fun.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2016 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 12  

I got a letter printed during JB's run, and I wish like heck it was in the Omnibus!

One of my most cherished memories is of my Dad and I reading the books I'd just grabbed off the newsstand while hanging at the kitchen table around 5:30 in the evening and having an out of body experience reading a fan letter because it was so familiar. I looked at who'd written it and it was ME!
Dad hadn't even known I'd written to any comics, much less THE comic. What a night! So pumped (even to this day as you can tell!)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version