Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who
Topic: Using First Names Of Actors (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2016 at 5:20am | IP Logged | 1  

This will sound incredibly pedantic, but there's a guy I know who is forever using the first names of actors from DOCTOR WHO, like he knows them (he doesn't).

Last night, it did grate after a bit. We got chatting because I'd shared a Who-related comment on Facebook. And throughout the night, his comments included:

"Did you like Sylvester in the role?"
"I thought William was good."

Another guy I know is always calling William Hartnell "Bill".

It seems a tad disrespectful and I am not sure why people do it?

People call me various things. I don't mind, really. Call me Rob or Robert even though I prefer Robbie. It's Robert that is on my birth certificate and I tend to use Robert on official documents. I am not sure I'd be that keen if, say, a bank manager came out and called me Rob or Robbie - bit too familiar for my liking.

When it comes to actors, I use their full name or surname (for convenience). I might say, "I really liked Affleck in THE SUM OF ALL FEARS." Or I might use a full name and say, "I feel Christopher Reeve really captured the essence of Superman." However, I don't think I'd use shortened versions of names or variations. I wouldn't call Ben Affleck "Benny" or "Benjamin" and I wouldn't, if talking about the SUPERMAN films, say, "Yeah, I really liked Chris."

It's not too important, but the guy I know who calls William Hartnell "Bill" was born way after Hartnell died and never knew him or his family. Just seems odd that one would have a mindset of doing that. 

Any thoughts?
Back to Top profile | search

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2016 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 2  

I don't think there is anything wrong with using their first name only. It sounds weird to me since I'm use to saying the actors full name.  But it was when I began interacting with some well known artists that It occurred to me that when speaking to them on a repeated basis I should say their full name. They call me by my first name. I should do the same. When talking to friends or family. I'll use the first name or just the last name of the actor sometimes. When they are aware of whom I speak. Most of the time I'll say the full name just out of habit.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2016 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 3  

I don't think there's anything wrong with using the full name if, as you show, you've interacted regularly with them. Many here call our host John, JB or Mr Byrne. 

Just feels odd to hear someone I know say "Bill" instead of William, William Hartnell or Hartnell.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2016 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 4  

I never use first names, either -- especially shortened first names! It's either
the full name or the last name (e.g. "Robert De Niro" in TAXI DRIVER or De
Niro in RAGING BULL)
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 14 September 2016 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 5  

It's an affection I have found in some comic fans (and some pros) when talking about the characters. "Clark" and "Bruce" instead of Superman and Batman.

I'm not entirely sure where it springs from, tho in part, at least, I suspect its from that spreading ennui that infects so many in our shrunken audience -- the need to diminish the characters and the stories, so that it will not seem they are IMPORTANT to the speaker.

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2016 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 6  

I think it is from a comfort and love of the subject that leads to such familiarity. With the internet, we can follow so much more. It is likely also a generational thing. Rarely was an adult introduced, outside of a teacher, to me as mister or missus. The practice is even further removed from children today. People don't call their bosses by their surname. People's children don't call their parents' bosses by their surname. My fifteen-year-old has had many teachers already in middle and high school that have insisted he call them by their first name. Its a cultural shift that promotes that familiarity.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2016 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 7  

I have noticed "Clark" and Bruce" used. That's another thing I never do.

I might mention "Bruce Wayne" if talking about the 1950s tale where he was on trial. I might mention "Clark Kent" if talking about the old back-up strips which featured his private life. I'd never say "Bruce" or "Clark", though. Alien to me.

As for Joseph's points, I think it's fine if a teacher wants that. I'd be happy with that. And I'm not formal. If my bank or insurance company calls me Mr Parry, I always say, "Call me Robbie." 

I just, as I said previously, struggle with someone who's never met William Hartnell referring to him as "Bill". 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2016 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 8  

Just feels odd to hear someone I know say "Bill" instead of William, William Hartnell 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That sounds odd to me as well.  I've heard William Shatner called Bill Shatner. By people who know him. I feel weird saying Bill instead of William Shatner.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2016 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 9  

As a William,i only use that name on official documents! I much prefer Bill,hate Billy though! My dentist calls me Bill,even though my records state William,but i don`t mind! Plus,i don`t really want to offend him! I can see why people might use first names,maybe they think using first names shows a certain affection for that person rather than the formal surname?
Back to Top profile | search | email

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2016 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 10  

I confess it's not the biggest issue. I mean, I call you Bill, but if you had William Collins in your profile, I'd call you William. If I met you in person, and knew you as William, I might say, "Can I call you Bill?" People have asked if they can shorten my name to Rob. I've fine with that.

Luke Styer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2016 at 8:40am | IP Logged | 11  

It makes me vaguely uncomfortable in the case is celebrities unless the speaker is actually acquainted with them.

In the case of fictional characters, though I don't usually do it (when talking about Star Trek I almost always call Kirk Kirk, but I probably call McCoy Bones about half the time), it feels a lot more natural because we effectively become "acquainted" with them by experiencing both their "adventures" and a bit of "down time" to boot.
Back to Top profile | search | email

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2016 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 12  

I might have used the name "Bones" from time to time, but it's usually McCoy. I think that's fine.

I can't imagine calling Clark Kent "Clarkie" or something. A high school bully calling him "Clarkie" works well, but I would feel so odd saying that.

And that applies to actors. I never knew or met William Hartnell; if I had, it wouldn't have been as a long-term friend. So I have no reason to call him Bill.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2016 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 13  

What's in a name? I don't have a problem with people using first names of celebrities or shortened versions, if it's clear who they're talking about and it isn't obviously disrepectful.

William Hartnell was clearly called Bill by a lot of people around him. He probably responded to 'Bill' as his name more than 'William', at a guess. I don't see it as being disrepectful therefore.

If people are fans they listen to commentaries, watch documentaries and interviews. People will have referred to William Hartnell as Bill in these many times. It most likely stems from there.

In a similar sphere, every featurette I've ever seen with Terrance Dicks talking about Who-writer Malcom Hulke, he has referred to him as 'Mac'. After hearing it so many times, it's a natural corollary that I start to think of that person as 'Mac'. To call him 'Hulke' would seem less respectful to me.  

In the other thread about Kirby and Spider-Man, I found myself typing 'Stan' and 'Ditko' in the same sentence. For some reason, 'Stan' just seemed the natural way to refer to Stan Lee. I would never think to refer to him as 'Lee'. It would seem confusing and somewhat artificial.

Finally, if someone called me 'Martin', be it stranger or friend, I would find it a lot more annoying that 'Pete', even though I think of myself as a
'Peter' not a 'Pete'. 

Edited by Peter Martin on 22 September 2016 at 2:21pm

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version