Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek
Topic: Star Trek: The Original Series - The Roddenberry Vault Blu-ray Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2016 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

A new blu-ray set being released December 13 to tie in with Trek's 50th anniversary. Includes a selection of 14 episodes, some with new commentaries, most with isolated music tracks. Looks like a lot of new extras including behind-the-scenes footage from the "Roddenberry Vault". Hopefully they won't be charging too much for this and it includes the improved encoding that the episodes on the Origins set have.

Back to Top profile | search

Luke Styer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2016 at 12:27am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The second video clip on that ad is a lot of fun.
Back to Top profile | search | email

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2016 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Review:

I'm quite excited to check this out.

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 January 2017 at 6:06am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Last night I finally had the chance to watch the copy I got for Christmas. I thought it was a bit hit and miss really. Though I enjoyed the deleted scenes (mainly Kirk and Edith on the stairs talking about how long is forever? Beautiful!) I'm not sure there was anything there that I really couldn't have lived without seeing.

I was very moved listening to William Shatner talking about acting through his grief after receiving news of his father's death on the set of Devil In The Dark. Some of the other talking heads speaking around the clips, though, had me scratching my head over their connection to Star Trek, if they had any at all. I would rather have heard more from the actors and the people who were actually there than the executive producer of The Flash (or whatever). The inclusion of episodes that most, if not all, Star Trek fans will already own seemed a bit redundant too.

I can't say that I didn't enjoy The Roddenberry Vault Blu-ray, because I did, but I am relived my copy was a gift and that I didn't splash out money on it myself.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 04 January 2017 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

TOS was shot on such a brutally tight schedule I'm surprised to learn there were any "deleted scenes." Seems like a table read and a stopwatch would eliminate any fat before the cameras even started to roll.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2017 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Received this as a birthday girt. Looking forward to checking it out, although it's gonna be awhile.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2017 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Happy Birthday, Greg, however belated it may be!

Edited by Brian Hague on 05 January 2017 at 10:43pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2017 at 3:02am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

You were right the first time, Brian. Not at all belated.

Cracked the Blu-Ray open, tonight, and watched all of the featurettes. In total, their three-hour runtime add up to the very best of the 50th anniversary STAR TREK documentaries we've gotten, over the past year. In-depth, interesting, and slickly-produced. The clips from the cutting room floor are interwoven throughout all of the talking head interviews, although the last of the featurettes is devoted just to more of the footage. And, fortunately, there are no anachronistic uses of CGI material from the Remastered episodes within the featurettes. It's all very historically-accurate.

All in all, this release features an immensely-enjoyable and very well-produced set of mini-documentaries. There's some stunning unused/alternate footage in there, too--like an alternate take of Matt Decker's "There was--but not any more!" speech, Khan reaffirming his hold over McGivers as he prepares to take over the Enterprise, McCoy kissing Yeoman Barrows, etc. There are also snippets of the tag scene from "Who Mourns For Adonais?" (where Palamas is revealed to be pregnant), among other off-discussed bits we've heard and speculated about, over the years. Raw effects elements, bloopers, and camera tests, too.

I also about fell out of my seat at all of the gorgeous, HD bluescreen shots of the Enterprise model (as well as the Botany Bay, shuttlecraft, and station K-7) as it was being filmed on the effects stage. They even recomposited some of these shots against a starfield for effect, and the results are jaw-dropping--the way the ship was always intended to look onscreen, but never quite did, due to the limits of 1960s optical compositing. Absolutely glorious. 

I haven't even gotten to the episodes which are presented on the discs, yet, which will be worth another look for the music-only and audio commentary tracks. Aside from that, they should be the same as presented in the season-set Blu-Rays, including the option to watch the Remastered versions, as well as the originals.

At first glance, this release might seem like a bit of a letdown--there's not as much unused footage as one might think, and the bulk of this release is talking heads and a reissuing of episodes (the ones most relevant to the footage shown in the featurettes) most fans already own on disc. But, for a hardcore fan, this is pretty much a must-buy. And a wonderful--if belated--50th anniversary (and birthday!) gift.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 09 January 2017 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I also about fell out of my seat at all of the gorgeous, HD bluescreen shots of the Enterprise model (as well as the Botany Bay, shuttlecraft, and station K-7) as it was being filmed on the effects stage. They even recomposited some of these shots against a starfield for effect, and the results are jaw-dropping--the way the ship was always intended to look onscreen, but never quite did, due to the limits of 1960s optical compositing. Absolutely glorious.

Here's hoping more of these shots will show up on line, so I can stop being forced to use the CGI stuff for clarity.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2017 at 8:34am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Greg - Does the presentation of old unused footage "flow" as a presentation? Or is it choppy bits of unconnected clips from the editing room floor?

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2017 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

One of these days, I'm going to have to get a Blu-Ray player...

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2017 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Greg - Does the presentation of old unused footage "flow" as a presentation? Or is it choppy bits of unconnected clips from the editing room floor?
++++++++

The bulk of it is choppy bits and pieces of raw workprint and dailies. Three of the 30-minute featurettes are structured thusly--interview subjects talk both in general about each of the episodes presented (four per disc, and per featurette), and in specific about many of the clips (which are presented all throughout). The last of the featurettes is pretty much just a 20-minute montage of clips--extended/omitted scenes, raw FX, etc.

Some people may feel that it's not quite the treasure-trove one would expect, but we're really, really lucky any of this stuff still exists at all, frankly. We finally get to see things like the tag scene from "Operation-- Annihilate!" (with Peter Kirk sitting in the Captain's chair in a child-sized uniform), the rec room scene from "Elaan of Troyius" (with Uhura discussing the Vulcan harp with Spock"), and the afforementioned Palamas pregnancy tag scene from "Who Mourns For Adonais?" (which suvives only in the form of Nimoy's reaction close-up, with audio of stage crew members reading Kirk and McCoy's lines off-camera).

There's a ton of fun stuff, like close-ups of the Balok dummy being puppeteered, McCoy being stunned by a phaser as he tries to talk Khan down in the Briefing Room, Shatner having the crap scared out of him by Trelane's dueling pistol, etc. All of these bits and pieces fill in details of specific episodes (like where Kirk got the club he uses to attack Spock in the transporter room at the end of "This Side of Paradise"), and also give a glimpse of just what life was like on the set.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 09 January 2017 at 11:17am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version