Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who
Topic: Anything New Left For A Magazine To Say? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2016 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 1  

DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE, which began life as DOCTOR WHO WEEKLY in 1979, has clocked up 502 issues as of July 2016. In recent years, I've been buying fewer copies (it is published monthly).

Having started reading it in the 1980s, I am wondering now, just what is there left to say about DR. WHO? Sure, they occasionally reveal a lost interview (i.e. Jon Pertwee in a 2013 issue), but for the most part, it seems a redundant magazine in most respects. Just my view, of course, as it no doubt sells.

Obviously, the issues published now cover current happenings with occasional features on the classic era. It all feels like filler at times, though. Of course, that's a sign for me to stop reading, I admit. And I will do that now. It's said everything it can possibly say about classic Who (everyone imaginable has been featured/interviewed and I doubt there are countless lost interviews out there). And I am not sure how much stuff a monthly magazine can publish about a TV series that has fewer episodes than ever and hasn't even aired full seasons in recent years.

This is a problem with many shows, I suppose. I stopped reading STAR TREK MAGAZINE (mainly due to erratic publishing schedules) but some of that has seemed like filler in recent years; again, there's only so much a monthly/bi-monthly magazine can say about a show/franchise with a limited number of movies/episodes.

And it's one of two reasons why I didn't renew my membership to the official fan club for THE PRISONER (the other being controversies associated with the club): the series ran for 17 episodes. And the official magazine of the fan club, published quarterly, has had more filler than ever in recent years: they're reviewing episodes they've already reviewed countless times already and they are so short of new material - understandably - that some magazines were light on THE PRISONER content and had features such as a 5-page article on a fan club member's wedding!

Getting back to DWM, though, again it's a sign for me to get out (been reading too long!), but they're gonna have to make sure they attract new readers. At least two other people I know, of a similar age, are dropping the magazine for reasons similar to mine.

Any thoughts? 
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2016 at 2:54am | IP Logged | 2  

I stopped buying the magazine on a regular basis about five years ago. While I enjoy the 21st century incarnation of Doctor Who my passion for the series is for the 'classic' era, Hartnell to McCoy (though I very much appreciate the McGann audio adventures too), so there isn't much point in my spending a fiver on articles about the Judoon or (shudder) River Song. I'll flick through a copy in the supermarket to see if there is anything for me but usually there isn't. However, for readers who are really into the 21st century series and who want to pick up a bit of knowledge about Ye Olde Doctor Who, then I'm sure it's still a good read.

On the subject of The Prisoner fan club, I'm not sure you can really compare a fanzine to a professional publication like DWM. Thanks to computers and modern printing techniques, the zine might look semi professional these days but it is still a zine and so relies on the club's members to provide content. Are fan clubs and fanzines still relevant in the age of the Internet? Maybe that's a question for another thread. I have no interest in the 'civil war' going on in Prisoner fandom and would probably join the club if not for the steep admission price (maybe if they went back to a cheaply photocopied zine, with pages stapled at the corners, the club could reduce their fees?). BTW, I'm visiting The Village next week - I'm off for a holiday in North Wales and I'll be making my yearly pilgrimage to Portmeirion. Be seeing you.
Back to Top profile | search | email

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2016 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 3  

Enjoy your holiday. ;)

Threat drift alert (sorry!), there is a THE PRISONER website (unofficial) which has news about the series:

They cover even the most obscure things, i.e. references to the show in other TV shows. Unfortunately, the official fan club - is it still official? - contains mostly self-referential pieces. A five-page article on a member's wedding really isn't of interest to most people. If The Unmutual website can provide constant news, the magazine for the official fan club should, too (in my view).

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 August 2016 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 4  

I joined Six of One in the Eighties and decided that a year's membership was more than enough back then.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2016 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 5  

What were your reasons, Joe? 

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2016 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 6  

They could publish fan fic and give us a preview of what's in store from the 2030 showrunner.
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2016 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 7  

My reasons: as you say there were only 17 episodes. People kept going over and over the same ground. And to be honest I like DANGER MAN better.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 August 2016 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 8  

Same with any endeavour recently. There were AIRWOLF and THE A-TEAM fan clubs in the 90s, but after so long, there's only so much to say.

A STAR TREK or STAR WARS fan club (are there official fan clubs?) work because there's new material constantly and plenty of news, but even with the best will in the world, how does a THE PRISONER fan club keep releasing magazines on a show that ended decades ago and only produced 17 episodes, anyway? 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version