Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 2
Topic: For the Love of Spock Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I hear about the nature of Shatner's and Nimoy's relationship, and usually these events make me think more and more that "Galaxy Quest" is at least part documentary.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2016 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Would you guys recommend any of the autobiographies by Shatner or Nimoy?
I recommend both of Nimoy's books I Am Not Spock and I Am Spock. The second one obviously gives you the whole story whereas the first one was done before any movies were filmed.

I liked Shatner's Star Trek Memories about the making of the TV show. I did NOT like his recent book Leonard, mostly because it was repetitive of things already covered in I Am Spock. However, it is the only book I have seen yet that talked about Nimoy's alcoholism, which Nimoy does not mention in his own books.

BTW - I am hearing good endorsements from Trek folk such as Doug Drexler for The 50 Year Mission, Part One, the just released book about the TOS series and movies.   It is done in the same style as Return to Tomorrow with minimal narration, but instead lots of lengthy stories and quotes from Trek cast and crew.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2016 at 11:02pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Video on Demand-ed FOR THE LOVE OF SPOCK, tonight. Definitely worth watching. I found myself getting a little misty, at times. Very well-made, and a fitting tribute for both Nimoy and Spock.

The only things that made me grit my teeth were the J.J. Abrams and NuTREK bits, as well as the use of the CGI-remastered versions of the TOS episodes as a source of clips, rather than the originals. Other than that, a top-notch documentary.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 11 September 2016 at 11:03pm
Back to Top profile | search | email

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 September 2016 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The only things that made me grit my teeth were the J.J. Abrams and NuTREK bits, as well as the use of the CGI-remastered versions of the TOS episodes as a source of clips, rather than the originals.

••

So, I won't be watching this!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2016 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Those sticking points constitute probably less than 10% of the overall 112-minute documentary. To each his own, of course, but I think it's definitely worth a look.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2016 at 5:50am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

There's a NYTimes article published today about the film.

This pic is at the top of the story:

QUOTE:
In 1968, a biracial girl wrote to “Mr. Spock,” in care of a teen magazine, explaining her trouble making friends because “my mother is Negro and my father is white.” She wrote, “I know that you are half-Vulcan and half-human and you have suffered because of this.” Mr. Nimoy wrote her a long letter back, telling her to believe in herself and not to let the bigots get her down.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 28 September 2016 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

As many of you know, my family moved frequently when I was growing up, as a result of which I attended 9 schools in the span of 11 years. I was pretty much always the new kid in class, and, being painfully shy to begin with, I was the classic "outsider." Didn't feel like it was even WORTH trying to make friends, as I knew we'd certainly be moving soon.

I was 16 when STAR TREK came along, and, yes, I'd started yet another new school the same week the show made its debut. Spock spoke to me almost immediately. I was about as White and boring as one could be, but I understood very well what it felt like to "not belong."

Mischa Benedict Welsh
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2016 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

JB: So, I won't be watching this!

I would urge you to reconsider - we watched the other night on Netflix and I found it refreshingly different from accounts in Nimoy and Shatner's books. His failings were dealt with, but also his virtues as a man and father. 

I think Mr Kirkman has mis-sold it to you - it was inevitable that JJ Abrams is going to feature, he worked extensively with Nimoy in his later years casting him in Fringe and obviously Nu Trek. You can even forgive the re-mastered TOS clips, as I'm sure that CBS only release this version to independent productions, as it is the version they are hawking right now.

I just think that you are missing out on a lovely well intentioned balance portrait of a very interesting man.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 28 September 2016 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I would urge you to reconsider...

•••

Please don't.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2016 at 2:08pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I wanted to be like Kirk, but it was Spock who spoke to me. My family, all immigrants, running for their lives from the Holocaust, already minorities because their were foreigners, with no command of English, no grasp of American culture, not Christian, and -- to boot -- we were Greek Jews, which meant that even among Jews, we were a super-minority! I found my way to fit in like Spock did: through my brain. If everything else marked me as the "other," at least I could establish my standing in class as the smart kid.

Matthew Chartrand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 December 2016 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Just watched this on Netflix. A very well done tribute. His son looks so much like him.

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 December 2016 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I too just watched this on Netflix. I agree with Matthew at how well done it was and how much his son looks like him. I remember reading "I am Spock" but don't really remember much from it so this was like learning a lot for the first time. It was also nice seeing some clips from his work outside of Star Trek.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2016 at 4:43am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Watching it on Netflix now It's pretty great so far. Liked the bit from Adam Nimoy about how the Nimoys didn't have a color TV and had to go to someone else's house that had a big color console TV to watch the premiere because they had a big console black and white.  

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 December 2016 at 12:49am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Just wanted to add that I was seriously weeping at this end of this documentary. I'm not sure why they had to include the NuTrek cast and director, though Simon Pegg I didn't mind so much since he's always been a big fan of both Star Trek and Star Wars, long before he ever thought about acting in them (or writing one). Chris Pine had a pretty good observation about the original series as well, but being in a couple of movies with Nimoy with a  Spock cameo in it didn't really strike me as someone who was all that relevant to Spock or Nimoy, just like JJ Abrams. I guess they were put in there since some younger folks only know NuTrek (the poor wretches) and for the sake of what's currently popular. Thankfully that was a very small part of the documentary, but not sure it needed to be included at all.

All in all it was a really good documentary and I'd recommend it to everyone. I had no idea that Nimoy ever had a drinking problem. It wasn't mentioned in the books I've read (I Am Spock by Nimoy and Star Trek Memories by Shatner).

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2016 at 6:09pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

I'm enjoying it now on Netflix, but the remastered shots of the Enterprise are driving me crazy...

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 January 2017 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

My wife and I watched this on Netflix on New Year's Day.  We both enjoyed it immensely, as well as finding it to be a bit bittersweet in the end.  

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 January 2017 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Netflixed it and though 85% of it was pretty familiar and previously covered material (not surprising), there were little gems here and there that were interesting.  Seeing Nimoy from the perspective of his children and some of his friends (Barry Newman... who knew?) was a highlight for me. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version