Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: LUKE CAGE- Netflix Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

4 episodes in... My only gripe (so far) is that they felt the "need" to disrespect their "homage" to the Power Man costume. Kinda sad, really.
Back to Top profile | search | email

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The wife and I binged on five episodes last night (because after episode, 1:30 seemed awfully close to morning...) I like it a lot! I prefer it to Daredevil (haven't watched JJ yet) and I think the casting is solid, the action is exciting, and for the preliminary episodes, I LOVE that Luke just walks into a fight and lays down the hurt without taking any damage. Corollary to that: please, please, PLEASE don't do a "Luke loses his powers and regains them" episode or series of episodes. It's been done, and it's a predictable, easy writer's bit. I hope they avoid that...

ITEM: Paul Sondersted - I freaked out when I saw the Power Man costume. For a series set in 2016, I didn't think metal bracers, a chain belt, and a metallic headpiece were gong to have any chance to show up, but I was so optimistic that it would be in. And they showed it, and my wife was worried she'd have to call the paramedics.

ITEM: This may have been realized in later episodes, but I'm wondering if Pop's Barbershop is going to be transferred into "Luke Cage - Hero For Hire". This would also make me dance like a schizophrenic ballerina, so I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series.

ITEM: In my own little silver age fogey mind, I have the last scene of episode 13 in my mind - Luke standing in Harlem one night, looking at the city, and he hears, "Mr. Cage, we need to talk" - and it's Daredevil.
Corollary 2: I remember the first meeting between the two characters... outside Dr. Strange's sanctum sanctorum... Defenders #24, and one of my favorite Luke Cage lines ever - "Before you tap that shoulder, sugar, identify yourself."

Back to Top profile | search

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 4:33pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

We watched two episodes last evening. I'm willing to watch more. I really like the opening and closing credits.

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 6:26pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'm 8 episodes in and overall, my wife and I are loving it.

If there is a gripe, it is the decompressed storytelling. 

PS - Simone Missick (Misty Knight) is beautiful!

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I don't like the race-swapping of Shades - in every scene he's in, he just doesn't look like he belongs there. But that's about my only gripe.

While he won't publicly come right out and state what his race and ethnicity is, the actor playing Shades (Theo Rossi) has stated that he is multi racial/ethnic. In other words, he is racially ambiguous like Vin Diesel. And I think that like Vin Diesel (and I could be totally wrong about this), in order to prevent from getting typed cast into only playing one race/ethnicity or being denied playing a particular race/ethnicity, he has decided to not review his race/ethnicity. So I think that it is a safe bet that he is not 100% white. Here is a link along with a quote from the actor about his race/ethnicity.

http://latinrapper.com/blogs/?p=422

"Let me tell youóthis is something that Iíve been getting asked a lot lately and this isóIím going to totally answer it like this. I have probably about seven different ethnicities in me. Iím going to leave it up to people to determine what those are. But, probably people would never assume a lot of the things I am. And thatís it. I am as mixed and ethnic in everything as they come. Thatís where Iíll leave that."

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 02 October 2016 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Just finished episode seven.  Assuming that doesn't turn out to be a misdirection, I didn't see that coming.  That may very well address my complaint, about the sameness of the plot.
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2016 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Three episodes in, and just about everyone Luke Cage has tried to help has died! 

Jaren Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Just finished Luke Cage. It was solid, if not stretched out for 4 episodes more than it needed to. A lot like Jessica Jones actually. 

Bring on Iron Fist. Hopefully they cast a role for Shang-Chi as well. 

Defenders is said to be about Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and Jessica Jones squaring up against The Hand. I'm looking forward to that.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I am completely avoiding ALL spoilers, but I'm about halfway through the series right now.  I'll probably will be finishing it over the weekend.

IMO, it's the best TV show Marvel has done to date.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 9:24pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Damn! Episode
 INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
just went nuts! What am I watching again? 

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2016 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Just finished it all.

I really liked much it.  Didn't totally love it all.  

The cast itself is the strength of the show.  But at times they are delivering lines that just feel awkward and forced.  

The action was mild compared to DD.  Luke trying not to kill his all too human foes are clearly the reason.  The climactic battle was a chance to change that dynamic....but if fell a bit short.

I'm looking forward to sharing more thoughts as more posters get up to speed and spoilers become less of an issue. 

vishard chandool
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2016 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I wanted to like it more than I did. Good cast but I am really having a problem with the pacing of Netflix's series. I read an article on this that suggested that the slow pace is to encourage viewers to spread out the viewing time (in other words to not binge). If they wanted to do that why not just show one episode a week? I find that at the end of an episode I am not that interested in seeing what comes next. 

I had liked Daredevil and got thorough season 1 quickly. In season 2 I stalled somewhere about 2/3 in and have not felt the desire to revisit it.I liked the Jessica Jones character but found that many episodes were just repetitive, I eventually just skipped to the last 2 which were decent.

I am 4 episodes in on Luke Cage and have enough interest to continue watching but it won't take much to distract me from finishing the series. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2016 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I can't believe that there are actually white people complaining about the show because there aren't enough white people on the show.
 I can't believe the stupidity of some people.

I haven't gotten around to watching the show yet. I'm looking forward to eventually getting the time to binge.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2016 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

There is a scene where Misty Knight, Claire Temple, the new police inspector are all talking...in the same scene.

Seeing that many black actresses in a show like this together in a scene made me smile.  The out and out BLACKNESS of this show is its best quality.  While some of the dialog was a bit off tilt, much of it was dead on and proper as though I was speaking it to my friends and family.  

When Misty told the inspector to not let Mariah Dillard 'skee-wee' away that made me laugh out loud in approval!  Because the inspector said Dillard was a fellow sorority sister of hers and if you know black sororities, you know what 'skee-wee' means.    

Thats a detail that you can only get from a depth of black talent working in front AND behind the camera.  

Also having the real Dapper Dan show up to give Luke his new suit was a wonderful and real HARLEM detail.  Thats something Marvel will always have over DC.  No matter how gritty you make Gotham City for a movie or TV show, it's still a fictional element that can't pull a real, living resource like Dapper Dan.

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 05 October 2016 at 2:18pm

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2016 at 12:58am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Apparantly, LUKE CAGE is racist to some people - because it's all black!

A ridiculous claim, of course. The show should be applauded for its faithfulnes.

However, there DOES seem to be a double standard going on. There's no way a show would be allowed to be this WHITE. In DAREDEVIL they race-swapped Ben Urich, to name but one. That move gets applauded. But if Misty Knight was played by Charlize Theron...

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2016 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Just finished watching last night. I thought it started very strong but ended very weak. 

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
There's a huuuge shift in the storytelling once Cottonmouth is killed and Diamondback shows up that really sent things into a tailspin for me.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 05 October 2016 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Spoilers ahead ...

I finished watching tonight.  There's a lot that I liked about the series, but for me this is the weakest of the Netflix/Marvel seasons. 

On the plus side, I like the character of Luke Cage a lot, more so than Daredevil and Jessica Jones; thoughtful and intelligent, but a human wrecking ball when needed.  With one exception, the characters and their actors were the show's strongest points.

I also like the show's vision.  The MCU has been great in having each of its properties carve out its own nice and identity, and LUKE CAGE really shone in that regards. 

I think all of the Netflix/Marvel have suffered from plotting issues -- more episodes than plot.  I thought a major plot twist midway through LUKE CAGE would help in that regards, but that turned out to be a downward turn.  One great villain was lost, to be replaced by a terrible villain.  Diamondback was over-the-top and unconvincing even before putting on his cut-rate Judge Dredd costume.

The finale was very disappointing: awkward, meandering and anti-climactic.  I mostly enjoyed the series and look forward to season two, but I hope that one has a much stronger narrative.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2016 at 11:32pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I don't like the race-swapping of Shades - in every scene he's in, he just doesn't look like he belongs there. But that's about my only gripe.
Not familiar with the character in the comic. Based on the name I assumed he was Hispanic. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2016 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

I'm not reading anything in this thread right now as I'm only 3 episodes in, but I just wanted to say I'm LOVING the music in Cottonmouth's club. I would actually buy a soundtrack of this series.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2016 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Live performance of the musical score tonight in LA:

http://axs.com/events/325345/marvel-s-luke-cage-the-live-sco re-
tickets

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2016 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

"One great villain was lost, to be replaced by a terrible villain.  Diamondback was over-the-top and unconvincing even before putting on his cut-rate Judge Dredd costume."

SPOILER stuff....

But his 'costume' was true to the source material.....

So I didn't knock the look since they gave us a 'comics accurate' design.  

I did knock how the suit was supposed to protect him from Luke's punches...and give him super strength.

If Justin Hammer can get augmented strength and durability out of a 70's jump suit...he might have one up on Tony Stark!

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 06 October 2016 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

So I didn't knock the look since they gave us a 'comics accurate' design.  

That's accurate?  There's no helmet, and no military-style look in that comic image.  The only thing in common is the 'underbelly' look of the shirt inside the jacket.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2016 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Brian Miller, you're right about that music! I don't like some of that stuff, but some of it is SWEEET. And while I don't like it, I can appreciate it. Adds a terrific tone to the show and the setting.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2016 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Thom - Remove the helmet from the TV 'Diamondback' costume and its pretty damn close to what's drawn here (minus the comics dynamic energy that no human actor could exude).  

Right down to the quilted 'scales' pattern.....  

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2016 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Heartbreaking to read that the Luke Cage showrunners put the 'swear jar' bit into the show....as a way to lure PRINCE to appear in the final episode and perform at 'Harlem's Paradise'!

According to reports...since Prince was a Jehovah's Witness...he gave up swearing...and kept a 'swear jar' in his home for those who did.  The LC showrunners intended on using the swear jar bit to help talk Prince into making a cameo.

But of course he died before the plan could be put in motion.

Can you IMAGINE His Royal Badness bringing down the house in the final episode!?

We WUZ ROBBED!

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version