Posted: 11 July 2016 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 1  

Given how much Tennant nailed the recent BIG FINISH 10th audio adventures,
I'd fall over myself to have his Doctor return...if we're playing the re-(de?)-
regeneration game
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2016 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 2  

If there was going to be anyone return. I want Paul Mcgann so we can get a proper series from him.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2016 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 3  

I would be happy to see lost adventures from McGann's time.

A season that was bookended by Capaldi in the 'present', casting his mind back to various adventures would be -- I'm sure -- warmly embraced by fans.

A 13 episode season comprising several episodes each with McGann, Tennant, Smith and Capaldi. A bit backward looking, perhaps, but why not utilise the previous Doctors if they are willing? It would make a change from the team-up format that is the usual way of giving a little something to the fans around anniversary time. Could do it for the 55th anniversary.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2016 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 4  

A season that was bookended by Capaldi in the 'present', casting his mind back to various adventures would be -- I'm sure -- warmly embraced by fans.

A 13 episode season comprising several episodes each with McGann, Tennant, Smith and Capaldi. A bit backward looking, perhaps, but why not utilise the previous Doctors if they are willing? It would make a change from the team-up format that is the usual way of giving a little something to the fans around anniversary time. Could do it for the 55th anniversary.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

A full season made up of short arcs featuring the different Doctors might be interesting.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2016 at 8:20pm | IP Logged | 5  

I just thought of something: Wouldn't the showrunner taking over for Moffat have some say in this? I don't think it would be fair for Moffat to saddle the person taking over the show from him with a past Doctor if they don't agree to it. Because they'd probably be pissed off if they had signed on to do the show believing they got to either work with Capaldi or to help create and mold a new incarnation of the Doctor, only to end up with Eleven back.

But then again I'm also not sure how much power a showrunner has. If Moffat did do that, could the new showrunner just as easily say :"Welcome back, Matt. After you film this regeneration scene, you're fired."?

(And I'd love to see an Eighth Doctor spin-off.)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 July 2016 at 5:15am | IP Logged | 6  

"McGann's time" was twenty years ago, and unlike Time Lords he is just as vulnerable to the ravages of time as are the rest of us.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2016 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 7  

While what you say is, of course, inarguable, I thought he looked pretty good in Night of the Doctor.

Though we're a handful of years on from that, I'd still contend it would be better to see him in more live action as the Doctor than not.

10 years from now the way he looks now will seem young! 

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2016 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 8  

On the subject of Paul McGann, I've enjoyed the 8th Doctor's audio adventures from Big Finish. Sad to say, but as a word of warning, River Pong is now polluting the audio range too.

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2016 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 9  

I don't think it will happen, but as Matt was my favourite of the modern Doctors, I'd have no problem with it if it did. I do agree though that if they wanted to use previous Doctors, they could just do it as specials or a spinoff show. I'm actually surprised something like that hasn't happened already.

(Those as others have pointed out, that's pretty much what the audio adventures do..)

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 12 July 2016 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 10  

I do agree though that if they wanted to use previous Doctors, they could just do it as specials or a spinoff show. I'm actually surprised something like that hasn't happened already.

It starts to become rather painful when 40-something actors reprise their 20-something roles.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 13 July 2016 at 5:09am | IP Logged | 11  

In the end, it all comes down to just how hard and fast we think the "rules" are in WHOdom -- especially under Moffat. After all, he's already given us a Doctor nobody knew about before -- usurping the role that so clearly belonged to McCann's character -- as well as slipping an extra few hundred years in here and there, establishing arbitrary limits on where and when the Doctor can go (to strand Rory and Amy) and, of course, giving us River Song, who any day now I expect to be revealed as the first incarnation of the Doctor.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 12  

Matt Smith has come out and said he won't be returning to the show. 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 12:32pm | IP Logged | 13  

Matt Smith has come out and said he won't be returning to the show.

But "the Doctor lies. . . ."

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 14  

A Doctor Who story set in the 70`s with the current Doctor or Tennant and Smith along for the ride too,meeting Doctor number 3 played by Sean Pertwee...a 55th anniversary special?

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2016 at 3:21am | IP Logged | 15  

"...meeting Doctor number 3 played by Sean Pertwee...a 55th anniversary special?"

There seems to be a lot of interest in Doctor Who fandom for having Sean Pertwee step into his father's shoes, but I wonder if it might be a case of being careful what you wish for. Although Sean looks quite like his father he really hasn't got Jon Pertwee's distinctive voice or flamboyant style. At best it might be a passable impersonation like Richard Hurndall's recreation of the 1st for The Five Doctors. I'm not against the idea if it pleases other fans but, personally, I feel uneasy about re-casting the classic Doctors.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2016 at 4:22am | IP Logged | 16  

I know what you mean Andrew,i saw an interview with Sean on tv recently,and they showed a picture of him dressed as the 3rd Doctor for a Halloween party,he looked the part,as for his voice,i think it`s close enough!
But,yes maybe we should be careful what we wish for!

Edited by Bill Collins on 23 July 2016 at 4:25am

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2016 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 17  

I would like Sean Pertwee to play the Doctor. But a new incarnation, not his father's version. 

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2016 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 18  

I was hoping that, while they had the cast together for An Adventure in Space and Time, they might give a try to refilming a few missing episodes.

edited to remove a superfluous "that"

Edited by Tim Cousar on 23 July 2016 at 10:16am

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2016 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 19  

I loved Smith in the roll and wouldn't mind at all another run.  Or even McCann coming back would be cool as an older 8th Doctor. 
After all, Tom Baker made a brief visit as the Curator and mentioned revisiting some of his old favorites. That was a wonderful scene. 
As long as the stories are fun, I'm for it. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2016 at 2:25am | IP Logged | 20  

My favourite Doctor was Patrick Troughton, who was more or less talked out of staying in the role by his wife (who thought he should be playing more 'serious' parts), so we got Jon Pertwee as his replacement. Now, suppose that, later on, things had changed for Troughton and he was offered - and accepted - the role of the Doctor again when Jon Pertwee left. I'm sure that stories like Robot, The Ark in Space, The Sontaran Experiment, etc would have worked just as well with a re-regenerated Troughton Doctor, but we, the audience, would have missed out on Tom Baker's Doctor - and, worse, we'd never know that we'd missed out on that amazing man's incredible performance. So maybe regeneration is one area where the Time Lord should keep moving forwards?

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2016 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 21  

He doesn`t need to regenerate,he`s a time traveller,we could just accept that they`re adventures we`ve not seen until `now`.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2016 at 9:07am | IP Logged | 22  

One of the Matt Smith episodes suggested that the Doctor's moving about through time has the effect of "writing over" previous events again and again. One of the characters expresses shock that he's a space alien and he says something to the effect that surely Earth people must be used to space aliens by now... the blood spell that took over a good portion of London... Shooting their ship out of the sky... Giant Cybermen stomping all over Victorian London... And the character doesn't have any knowledge of any of those things.

We in the audience saw them all happen and history recorded those events... until it recorded some other series of events over them, proceeding from some other point of time travel that preceded the first domino in that chain. The "earlier" domino knocked over the ones we know about, even though that temporal incursion into an earlier period happened "later" from our perspective. And time travel does this sort of thing over and over again, presumably with each trip through time taken by anyone, effectively sabotaging the idea of going back and revisiting a previous adventure or incarnation of the Doctor, since there really isn't any "there" there any longer. Almost certainly by now, history records something else happening that day.

It doesn't mean that what took place didn't matter. It very much did, if only to preserve time and space for that next thing to occur, which history now records instead of those events...

So there really aren't vast swathes of the timeline during which this version of the Doctor is "still" extant or that one is "still" running around. History and the Universe "remember" something else in most cases. Of course, there could arguably be a great number of events that didn't get rewritten as well, and those could be visited, should we ever choose to do so. "Wibbly wobbly, timey-wimey ball of stuff" and so on... 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2016 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 23  

Right. While ignoring that the actors have aged. After all, it wasn't brought up in The Five Doctors, or when 2 met 6.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 24 July 2016 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 24  

Maybe Pertwell can appear as yet another Doctor we didn't know existed.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2016 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 25  

"McGann's time" was twenty years ago, and unlike Time Lords he is just as vulnerable to the ravages of time as are the rest of us.
+++
McGann appeared in a short during the 50th Anniversary celebration where his Doctor regenerated into John Hurt, so he doesn't need to look like he did twenty years ago, he just has to look as good as he did in 2013. Considering how he's held together since the Nineties he could hold on to his boyishly fiftyish good looks well past age 100 at this rate.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version