Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Dr. Who
Byrne Robotics > Dr. Who Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: 11...12...11? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2016 at 12:05am | IP Logged | 1  

Ugh. Moffat has hinted at the possibility of the Twelfth Doctor regenerating back into the Eleventh when Capaldi leaves the show. Because Matt Smith misses it and regrets leaving.

My response to that idea: AWWW HELL NAW! 

I'm not opposed to an actor returning to the role....if its a new incarnation. But if it means Twelve turning back into Eleven, no! Its bad enough that Moffat already made Eleven the longest living Doctor (not counting Twelve's time in the Matrix). I'd rather see a brand new incarnation, played by a new actor. Would love to see Sean Pertwee as the next Doctor, as it would be fitting. His father was 3, and he'd be 13.
Back to Top profile | search | email

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2016 at 12:52am | IP Logged | 2  

I'd be interested to see Matt Smith's Doctor under a different
showrunner.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2016 at 4:40am | IP Logged | 3  

I don't see the point. Wondering if some of it is ego: "Look, I've done something that has never been done before." Makes no sense, whatsoever.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 10 July 2016 at 5:12am | IP Logged | 4  

To my own great surprise, I can find no fault with this!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 10 July 2016 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 5  

One thing that this does underscore, that has nothing to do with whether or not Matt Smith comes back, is that after 50+ years, fans have become terribly blasť abut the regeneration process. I've noticed how many start speculating on the next one as soon as the current one happens.

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 10 July 2016 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 6  

I think it's all toying with the fans and having a bit of a laugh, but it could make
for an interesting story line.

One of the Titan comics with the 10th doctor had a brief bit of him being
caught in some kind of temporal thingamajig and briefly de-regenerating back
to 9 for a few panels.
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2016 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 7  

One thing that this does underscore, that has nothing to do with whether or not Matt Smith comes back, is that after 50+ years, fans have become terribly blasť abut the regeneration process. I've noticed how many start speculating on the next one as soon as the current one happens.

True.

Maybe it's my perception, but I don't remember it years ago. Even in the pre-internet days, there were countless sci-fi publications, newspapers and, of course, the official DW Magazine - and I don't recall any of them speculating constantly over the regeneration process.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2016 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 8  

Just film some Matt Smith Dr Who and sell it as LOST ADVENTURES as a fill in show like an Agent Carter type of thing.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2016 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 9  

If Paul McGann is game do the same with him. Or even Sylvester McCoy. 

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2016 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 10  

I, too, would like to see some Smith and/or McGann LOST ADVENTURES.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 10 July 2016 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 11  

Doesn't Smith have about 300 years worth of "untold tales"?

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2016 at 7:10pm | IP Logged | 12  

I once thought of a way they could have the Doctor regenerate into a previous incarnation. Except my way was a contingency plan for a situation where the actor was incapacitated due to injury or illness for a significant period of time.

Then I later realized that it would just be easier to either bring in a previous Doctor for a few episodes or just have someone else play the Doctor until the actor recovered and explain that the character is either in disguise or has somehow had his appearance changed temporarily.

My idea was this: The Doctor suddenly and spontaneously regenerates into a new incarnation for no apparent reason. But the twist is there's no regeneration sickness; the Doctor isn't weak or confused at all like he normally is after changing. The Doctor surmises that the change was caused by him contracting a very rare illness - the only one that Time Lords are vulnerable to, and the way their bodies fight it is to trigger a regeneration. However, simply regenerating doesn't cure the illness. Rather the energy released by regenerating slowly fights it off. What the Doctor doesn't know - because he's personally never known anyone with the illness - is that once the illness is cured, a retro-regeneration back to the previous incarnation occurs. The `cure' regeneration doesn't actually use up a regeneration. So the new, temporary Doctor would be referred to as...for example....Doctor 13.5 rather than 14 if it was the 13th Doctor that had regenerated. And much like chickenpox, once you've had the illness, you're immune.

(I realized after coming up with this idea that it would be rather lame, but it could be used to surprise/shock the fans if the change in actors wasn't announced ahead of time. Or a douchebag move if the producers and showrunner lied about it being a permanent change.....)

Edited by Brian Floyd on 10 July 2016 at 7:11pm

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 10 July 2016 at 7:33pm | IP Logged | 13  

Since the Doctor is technically "over his limit" it sort of makes sense that he might "recycle."

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2016 at 8:21pm | IP Logged | 14  

In the 50th Anniversary episode, Tom Baker appeared as The Curator, and implied he was a future generation of The Doctor who sometimes liked to revisit favourite faces. I assumed it was a bit of fun to explain Baker's cameo, but having teed the idea up perhaps Moffat finds himself tempted to take a swing at it if Smith is game.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2016 at 11:06pm | IP Logged | 15  

If Matt Smith wants to return to Doctor Who, and not just for a brief appearance, fine. But I'd rather not see 12 regenerate (or would that be degenerate?) into 11. 

How about....

Missy regenerates, and Smith becomes the first actor to play both the Doctor and the Master?

Or he waits about ten to fifteen years and plays a different incarnation of the Doctor instead of 11?

Or he becomes 13, and looks and acts completely different than 11, playing a serious version of the character. By looks different I mean he has a different hairstyle and clothes. Definitely NO BOWTIE!!

(My dream casting for 13 is Sean Pertwee, though.)

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 11 July 2016 at 4:07am | IP Logged | 16  

So... Sean Pertwee as a whole new regeneration who just happens to strongly resemble a previous one? That you'd be okay with, but Matt Smith returning is cause for all manner of sturm und drang?

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2016 at 4:43am | IP Logged | 17  

It would be too soon for this viewer. Maybe ten or fifteen years from now but, personally, I feel like that particular Doctor's story has been told.

PS Not sure how I feel about casting actors as the Doctor just because their fathers once played the role. If we're going to make the position hereditary then Sean Pertwee had better get in line behind David and Michael Troughton hadn't he?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2016 at 6:09am | IP Logged | 18  

JB is speaking my thoughts in this thread!

I'd have no problem with Matt Smith coming back. One of my favourite Doctors, I thought he still had a tonne more to give.

Having Sean Pertwee as a regeneration would seem more gimmicky to me.

Robbie asked what's the point: it's someone we know who was fantastic in the role who wants to do it again. That's the point.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 11 July 2016 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 19  

And, while I hate to invoke this "rule," we have seen nothing in the fifty years of the series to suggest such a thing could not happen.

I realize this is the same argument being used by some to justify "revealing" that STAR STREK's Mr. Sulu is Gay, but while I dispute the use there (since it is not really valid) over here it is one of the few times the rule does work.

Besides, I agree with Peter. Smith became my favorite Doctor almost instantly. and I would like to see him back. Preferably with Amy and Rory and NO RIver F**king Song!!!!!!!!!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2016 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 20  

River Song should go where Bruce Wayne's crazy older brother went (if you ask me)...

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2016 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 21  

If you want to go REALLY wacky then have him snap back and forth between Smith and Capaldi throughout the season like some kind of demented glowing werewolf so either actor can have the breaks they want to do other projects. 

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2016 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 22  

So... Sean Pertwee as a whole new regeneration who just happens to strongly resemble a previous one? That you'd be okay with, but Matt Smith returning is cause for all manner of sturm und drang?

+++++++++++++++++++++++
Smith hasn't been gone all that long, though. And while casting Sean Pertwee might be gimmick casting, it would be fine as long as his Doctor doesn't have big white hair, wear ruffled shirts with smoking jackets or Inverness capes, use Venusian Akido/Karate, and end up trapped on Earth.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2016 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 23  

If I were Sean Pertwee, big hair, ruffled shirts, smoking jackets, Venusian Akido and a classic car name Bessie would be conditions of taking the role. 

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2016 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 24  

River Song should go where Bruce Wayne's crazy older brother went (if you ask me)...
-----------------------
I guess I'm gonna be the one to have to tell you they brought him back in the Nu52?

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2016 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 25  

I'd like to see Smith come back for some 'Lost Adventures' specials.  Him coming back to the series would give us more adventures with him, which would be a good thing, but doing specials of that kind would have a lot of other advantages.

For one, they'd be more likely to be able to get Amy and Rory back.  For another, if they became popular, it would open the door to similar specials with McGann and Tennant.  And think of the storytelling possibilities that would open up...have the same villain in a McGann special, then a Tennant special, then a Smith special, leading into that villain appearing in the new season with the current Doctor.  Plus with specials, they could take the time to make them just that...special...a little more time, a little bigger budget.  It could be a great thing.

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version