Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Comics Creators on Fantastic Four (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2016 at 10:13pm | IP Logged | 1  

If any forum members live near a Books a Million, you might want to have a look to see if they have any copies of Comics Creators on Fantastic Four by Tom DeFalco. The one in my hometown has like four copies and I picked up a copy today in the bargain trade paperback section for 4 dollars and it has a wealth of interviews from various creators who have worked on the Fantastic Four including JB. I've been engrossed in the book since I picked it up earlier and am just now getting to the very entertaining and informative John Byrne interview about halfway through. There's a great bit from Joe Sinnott on his first conversation with JB that I don't want to spoil, but it's pretty humorous. It's cool to see some of the other FF creators praising JB so far, which include Mr. Sinnott and Keith Pollard. Other interviews in the book are with the aforementioned Sinnott, Pollard, Stan Lee, Roy Thomas, Doug Moench, Walt Simonson, Ralph Macchio, Mike Wieringo, Warren Ellis, Jim Lee, Paul Ryan, Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, and Mark Waid. But my favorite interview, so far, is the Byrne one, since I'm such a huge fan of his Fantastic Four run. Anyone who accuses JB of being an egotist will probably be taken aback by his labeling of his first two FF issues as "the two dullest issues of the FF ever published" and the story with how and why they came about. The book came out in 2005 so it's likely several forum members have already read it, but for anyone who hasn't and likes to read creators talking about working on comics, it's definitely worth picking up.

I noticed there were a couple of threads about this book posted in 2005 back when it first came out and both were already closed. I apologize if they were closed for any reason other than being older threads. 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 09 July 2016 at 10:22pm
Back to Top profile | search

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2016 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 2  

Thanks, Shane.  I ordered a copy on line.  I see there are also similar DeFalco books on Spider-man and the X-men, though the FF book will probably hold me.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2016 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 3  

And of course, comments by Marvel's current management: "The Fantastic WHO?"

Lackwits.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2016 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 4  

It was an odd choice to have Warren Ellis do the intro I thought, but one bit kind of depressed me: "... the Fantastic Four, over more than forty years of continuous publication..." Not anymore. Thanks, Marvel! Then again, only a few creators ever did the Fantastic Four right anyway, but it's still kind of sad that Marvel refuses to publish their flagship title over their own decision to sell the movie rights to 20th Century Fox. The idea that the comics will in some way sell more tickets to the movie is kind of silly anyway. Maybe the comics that came out back when Kirby/Lee or John Byrne was still doing the Fantastic Four but not the ones these days that sell 30k copies. Even the flop that the last FF movie was sold exponentially more tickets than the comics can ever hope to sell.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 10 July 2016 at 3:19pm

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2016 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 5  

Robert, thank you for the heads up on the Spider-Man and X-Men books. I'll definitely be looking for those as this book has been a real pleasure to read.

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2016 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 6  

I received my copy of 'CCs on the FF' today, looking forward to reading it asap.

I have the Spider-Man volume, and years ago when I found a copy of the X-Men volume at the library I photocopied the John Byrne interview so I could always have it. (collection obsession)

I've been on the lookout for the FF book at used book stores for years with no success.
This thread prompted me to go ahead and internet-order it. Thanks Shane!*

*It totally deflates the thrill of the hunt by simply ordering it online, but my predatory booklust must occasionally take a backseat to my need to acquire Byrne goodness!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 September 2016 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 7  

I wonder how long Joe's memory is. Our first conversation was circa 1974, long before I was assigned to the FF. I was just a fan showing my work to a living legend!

(He was complimentary, tho!)

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2016 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 8  

Thread drift; Talking of JB interviews, I came upon this one just a couple of days ago that I didn't know existed. It's short but sweet (and funny).

And I will be picking up that CC on FF book if I can find it!

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2016 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 9  

Please note that this week's copy of Previews has the pre-order for Artists Edition of Kirby FF, which will include issues 82, 83, and Annual 6.  I placed my order!

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2016 at 11:14pm | IP Logged | 10  

Lars, hope you enjoy it. I certainly did. Lots of great interviews in that book. Especially enjoyed the JB, Simonson, and Sinnott ones. And the fact it was Tom Defalco conducting all the interviews, who also wrote the FF, makes it even better.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 01 September 2016 at 11:17pm

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version