Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: Alpha Flight Omnibus (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 1  

I don't necessarily agree with the non-JB contemporaneous work being included, but at least it has some (however slight) connection with his work. I don't get the 98 X-Men/Alpha Flight crossover's inclusion at all.

I just looked up some information on the 1998 X-Men/Alpha Flight issues. Even though those issues came out years later than the other issues collected, the story is set in the past during the same time frame as the other issues, which I'm guessing is why it was included.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 2  

I just looked up some information on the 1998 X-Men/Alpha Flight issues. Even though those issues came out years later than the other issues collected, the story is set in the past during the same time frame as the other issues, which I'm guessing is why it was included.

That is true but I recall two flashback one shots set around the time of the origin stories, which I assume will be included. Why not include them too? I can cope with other inferior stories, such as Machine Man and Two-in-One being included given that they were published at the same time, but these later publications will jar, I fear.
Back to Top profile | search

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 3  

Marvel does not have the rights to ROM anymore, so they can't reprint stories that feature the character.

Good point. Thanks.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 4  

One final thing, for now, but would have been nice to have included the Secret Wars 2 story that fits in between AF 27 and 28 along with other JB covers they featured AF (such as the two parter Mutants in Asgard).

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 5  

I'm hoping that the later JB covers get included. Marvel has been good lately at putting lots of bonus material like that into these collections so I expect to see posters, house ads, Marvel Age articles and similar to be included. It's been a long time since I've looked at Secret Wars II but if the portion applicable is short enough, it might still be included and just not have gotten mentioned in the solicitation because of its shortness.

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 July 2016 at 4:48pm | IP Logged | 6  

The cover image isn't available yet. What would make a good one for this? Off the top of my head, I'd probably go with the Alpha Flight #1 cover.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 2:32am | IP Logged | 7  

The cover image isn't available yet. What would make a good one for this? Off the top of my head, I'd probably go with the Alpha Flight #1 cover.

I think you will probably be right although I would plump for the house ad for issue 12.

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 3:21am | IP Logged | 8  

AF1 for me. Not sure whether JB likes the yellow background used on the original printing but I loved that cheerful vibe it gave off.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 5:18am | IP Logged | 9  

There was a house ad that ran that was similar in composition and color to the cover to Alpha Flight #1, but without the other Marvel heroes on it. That would be the one I would go with...

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 5:27am | IP Logged | 10  

That's a good shout, Brian.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 5:40am | IP Logged | 11  

Looking for the AF in-house ad for 12 online I came across this curiosity:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=761887

Clearly looking to ape JB's style, some of it lands better than others. My one gripe is to Wolverine's inclusion I always considered him a member of Department H but not AF per se. Thoughts?

Ed Fahey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2016 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 12  

Ugh Matthew that drawing is not to my taste. And it looks like they swiped one of JB's Wolverine commissions as well. The house ad Brian posted above is my favorite AF scene....I hope that one gets used.

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version