Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: My Favourite JB Scene Is (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2016 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 1  

This is one of those things that is too hard for me to decide. I have so many scenes I like for so many reasons that it is truly too difficult to choose a single one as best in my mind.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 June 2016 at 1:08pm | IP Logged | 2  

As I have often mentioned, when I pick what is "best" in my art it is usually at the other end of the spectrum from what fans appreciate. I go for the subtle, rather than the spectacular.

Goes back to the early days of my career. I knew I would never have the power of Kirby, or the photorealism of Neal Adams, or the quirkiness of Ditko, or the grace of Gil Kane -- in fact, I wouldn't have most of the best qualities of most of the artists working! But I did have a knack for subtlety -- the tip of a head, the turn of a wrist. And I decided that, while I would do the best I could to include those other things, I would make subtlety my "thing."

So, naturally, what I seem to be best known for is big piles of broken stuff!!

Back to Top profile | search

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2016 at 2:18pm | IP Logged | 3  

That Doc Sampson knock out blow is a great choice!  That would make my top 5 I'm sure. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2016 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 4  

"Quick Art Lesson: That is actually a BAD scene. Big shot of Thor and a swirling mass of. . .   something. No way to tell that it's a tugboat being destroyed. In visual storytelling, where virtually every panel should tell its own complete "story." that's really unforgivable."

I recognize the 'flaw' in the storytelling.  BUT....the payoff panel of Thor swinging the hammer is 

JUST!  

TOO!  

AWESOME!

So there!

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2016 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 5  

I remember when that issue of the FF came out...the one with the page Josh posted...

I hated the artwork. Even sent one off to the Letters page to let them know. I was 12, what did I know? Just thought it was, well, ugly. I think, partially because the Thing is so ugly on that page. But, he's supposed to be. This wasn't the first time I'd seen JB's work, but maybe the first time with his own inks.

Over the next couple of issues, I came to enjoy the art. Love it. Still do. JB's FF run remains a personal favorite of comic book writing and, especially, art. That, ladies and gentleman, is how it's done.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 09 June 2016 at 4:20pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2016 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 6  

Ben and Alicia walking away from the rest of the F.F. after "adult" Franklin transforms him. Reed explaining to Sue why Ben will never be able to cured of the Thing. Love the shots of Ben and Alicia walking away with Reed discussing it.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steven Ely
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2016 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 7  

"You're getting sloppy, Luthor."

One of my favorite scenes is when the Bronze Age Luthor green and purple super suit actually appeared in the Superman reboot, and one of Luthor's goons was wearing it, not Luthor himself. Very clever, JB.

Luthor was behind the scenes and still had short red hair as an adult and was wearing a suit and tie - as Siegel and Shuster's Golden Age Luthor authentically had (the reboot was basically a restoration and modernization of the Golden Age basics, along with some Silver Age and Bronze Age elements that didn't contradict the Golden Age basics - Superman's Krypton's sole survivor (not just one of over 1,000,000 survivors), Clark Kent works at the Daily Planet (not WGBS), Lois is his rival reporter (not Steve Lombard), Luthor's an egotistical conman (not a grown man stuck in teen angst - blaming Superboy for his baldness and destroyed experiment), etc.).

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2016 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 8  

As I have often mentioned, when I pick what is "best" in my art it is usually at the other end of the spectrum from what fans appreciate. I go for the subtle, rather than the spectacular.
••••

Gotta say, I love the quiet scenes without dialogue - 

Still, the best quality you have JB, is your diversity as a storytelling artist.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 09 June 2016 at 4:43pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 09 June 2016 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 9  

Excellent example, Charles

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 09 June 2016 at 8:07pm | IP Logged | 10  

This is a hard one to choose!  I have to go with this one from "Terror in a Town" (FF #236).  This scene has been burned in my brain for a long time:

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2016 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 11  

My god. No one does machinery like John Byrne. Nobody. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2016 at 9:00pm | IP Logged | 12  

I was probably only about 12 years old when the issue featuring the news of Sue losing her baby hit the stands.

Being only 12, I still remember getting to that last page and quietly blurting out: "Holy shit."

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version