Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 5
Topic: Star Trek Beyond - Spoilers begin Pg 3 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2016 at 11:42pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

QUOTE:

The obsession with Khan, and Khan-like (lite?) villains, is a bit curious... after all these years, I wonder why no single STAR TREK film has ever taken a crack at Q, Trelane, Charlie X, or the like?

QUOTE:
I feel with you regarding Khan 'inspired' Star Trek villains. I think TWOK saved the original movies but I really hate how that movie came so merged with the Star Trek franchise and fandom that even non Trek fans think ST movies should be like that.

Well there have been four of them so far, Nemesis, Star Trek 2009, Into Darkness, and now Beyond and I would not call them exactly the highlight or embodiment of Star Trek unless you enjoy watching spaceships go 'pew pew'.

I wanted to add we've had 5 Khan style revenge movies since TWOK.

First Contact: With the Borg, and Picard being the one quoting Moby Dick this time.

Nemesis: TNG second crack at a revenge story, meant to echo TWOK.

ST09: Nero and his silly vendetta against the Spocks. Somehow Nero blames Spock for the death of his wife and not, you know, the Romulan government.

Into Darkness: TWOK fanfic film.

Beyond: Krall and his vendetta against the Federation.

So 6 out of the 13 Trek films follow the same model. Boring.
Back to Top profile | search

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2016 at 5:52am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I think to much focus from the higher up on 'what worked the first time'.

Mind you, Hollywood in general has never understood what science fiction is other than spaceship battles and men in silly outfits carrying laser pistols.

I fear that if Star Trek is canceled that Paramount would say that it is because there is no interest in Star Trek or science fiction.
No, there is interest in science fiction, just constant stupid action movies and cliches that are constantly being brought back.

I am really interested in finding out if the digital media can defeat the traditional media and it could result in less mainstream appeal shows and movies being made, but of good quality and a decent budget.
Hollywood really needs the proverbial kick under their ass to wake up and realize that people are going less to the theater as they are making average to lousy movies in existing genres that try to appeal to everyone and their dog.

Sam Houston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2016 at 7:04pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I saw it this morning (3 of us in the theater...and it was freezing!!). Anyways, I did enjoy it, but found it frustrating that the NuTrek movies are following the pattern of the original Trek movies (#2 Khan, #3 Enterprise is destroyed). Of course the revealing of a new Enterprise was bumped from the 4th movie to this one, but if space fish/whales are bought in for the next one...*sigh*.Great special effects and, as mentioned by others, a sense of dread as the Enterprise was being ripped apart and crew members being sent into space. I enjoyed the various pairing of the characters. I found watching Chekov was surreal due to Anton's recent passing. Nimoy's passing was acknowledged nicely as was the tip of the hat to the original crew of our time line.

Now, can anyone tell me why Krall looked almost back to his normal human Edison self towards the end?? How did this happen and was he able to do this all along? It just seemed to convenient. This leads to me to wonder if some of the others of his crew were also survivors of the Franklin. His last message:"Captain's log, I don't remember the stardate. All distress calls unanswered. Of the crew, only three remain. I'M LEFT BEHIND! The indigenous race abandoned this planet long ago. They left behind sophisticated mining equipment and a drone workforce. They have some sort of technology that prolongs life. I will do whatever it takes for me and my crew...The Fed-Federation do not care about us. You'll probably never see me again. But if you do...Be ready." Does the technology to prolong life also change appearances or give the ability to change appearances?

Edited by Sam Houston on 24 August 2016 at 7:05pm
Back to Top profile | search | email

Paul Newland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2016 at 3:53am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think yes, the three alien villains were the original human crew and Krall was turning human because he had started to feed on the captive Enterprise crew.

Frederick Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 August 2016 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Uhura actually says after they find the wasted crewmen in the wake of Krall's escape from the Franklin inside the Yorktown that "I've seen this before...it changes him." 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2017 at 9:35pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Just tried watching it through Amazon Prime streaming, to see how far I could make it...

5 minutes.  Does the film get any better?  Don't know and don't care.  Those first 5 minutes were painful enough.

And supposed TREK fan Simon Pegg helped write this dreck???

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version