Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Star Trek Beyond - Spoilers begin Pg 3 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 26 July 2016 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 1  

Non TREK fan here; my enjoyment of the franchise basically begins and ends with WRATH OF KHAN.  I have none of the attachment that many here to earlier iterations of TREK. 

I found the first of these films to be passably entertaining in a slick & hollow way, but forgettable.  The second looked so bad, I just skipped it.  I enjoyed BEYOND more than the first, although it's not likely to become a favorite. 

Probably a very different perspective than many others here, but I like the actors in the film who make the least effort to recall their predecessors.   I enjoyed Chris Pine's Kirk and Zoe Saldana's Uhura because I never found myself thinking about the earlier actors.  With some of the others, it was like watching Rich Little do an impersonation.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2016 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 2  

Amazed to find myself enjoying the film. No, it's not real Star Trek but it is an enjoyable Science Fiction movie in its own right.

One thing I'd like to mention was that although I had no emotional investment in the NuTrek Enterprise it was shocking and horrifying to see the ship being ripped apart. I think that's because we saw crewmembers dying in the process, so it wasn't just a glorified CGI model kit being broken up, it was life and death we were watching. Equally horrible to see the escape pods being cruelly picked off too. There was nothing throwaway about those scenes and it set up an interesting dillemma for the survivors where, as far as they knew, there was no way off the planet they were now stranded on (something that, sadly, was solved far too easily: "Oh look, someone left a spare starship lying around!").

The film goes off the rails a bit with the now stereotypical revenge-seeking bad guy - personally I would have enjoyed seeing the Enterprise crew just battling to survive on an alien planet - but I did feel like my cinema ticket was money well spent.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2016 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 3  

How did people feel about making the warp bubble a visible distortion
when the starship was in warp? I kind of liked it.
Back to Top profile | search

Paul Newland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 July 2016 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 4  

I liked the warp bubble too.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2016 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 5  

Red Letter Media weighs in on the film:

LINK!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2016 at 5:52am | IP Logged | 6  

As a summer popcorn movie it was a decent actiony film.

Shame it had to hang the Star Trek banner on it.

The Star Trek lover inside me though kind of wonders why they chose to mine the least successful and regarded TV series as inspiration for this film.   ENTERPRISE never really clicked with me because it seemed they weren't really interested in world/Federation building (as the series was sold to us) and instead had them inventing or perfecting practically every technology seen in TOS every other week. 

Do the producers of these films think ENT was cut short in it's prime after meadering for four years with no direction and not even getting close to something resembling the Romulan War described in BALANCE OF TERROR?  I suspect they've latched onto ENT for reasons purely of asthetics -- they've borrowed the look and style of ENT and evolved it a little but lazily slapped the recognizable names of TOS characters on it.  Would a Captain Archer film have any bums in seats?  Anyone?  Bueller?  There was a lot of ENTERPRISE back story and name dropping for an audience whose was mostly in diapers when ENT was new so I'm not sure to whose benefit it was for.

It's interesting that the film makes reference to being three years into their five year mission (sort of an oblique reference to where TOS stories stopped on television) but the characters seemed like they had freshly come out of INTO DARKNESS the day before.  Even Kirk in the script complains how 'episodic' his life feels.   If this were a GALAXY QUEST style parody I would have found it a funny joke.   As STAR TREK, it feels like they missed the point of celebrating the franchise rather than making fun of it for the sake of some cheap laughs -- it very coldly feels like they weren't meeting some sort of magic [laughs+action]/[time*popcorn sales] forumula and had to throw in some one liner jokes to keep the bean counters happy.

The design of the 'alien' baddies was so bland and derivative I thought it might have been an homage to the nosepiece-of-the-week method that made a variety of aliens possible for weekly television.   Why else on a budget of hundreds of millions would you just lazily combine a Cardassian with a Narm from Babylon 5 and call it a day?

Does the third film for a Star Trek franchise have to include both destroying the ship and driving a dune buggy/dirt bike?

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 30 July 2016 at 5:53am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Newland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2016 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 7  

I think the trick is making something appealing to the general audience as well as Trek fans and that is a tough circle to square.  This one seems to have got closer than many and I say this as someone who has found most of the movies to be lacking in one thing or another.  I watched this review below and I thought it was pretty much on the nose IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_7Pz85XJ7Q

I think you're right that there were a number of parody moments, such as Kirk shooting the ship into working and a few gag lines.  However, I found them more palatable than the 'homage' to Wrath of Khan which was an unintentional parody.  If you've ever seen Pegg's 'Spaced' you will know that the man is a pro at comedy homages.  If you don't like that sort of thing then this won't appeal but I thought Pegg did a better job than STV and STVI, which I thought was more cheesy and forced.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2016 at 1:48am | IP Logged | 8  

(spoilers peppered throughout)

The best I can say is that it was not the complete steamy pile of dung that Into Darkness was.  It had a couple funny lines in it, but there was so much plot convenience theater on display here.  Keenser can sneeze acid now, which of course helps at just the right moment.  The transporters work unless there's some kind of geological interference, and when they need to work (Kirk and alien babe holding hands while flying through the air) they figure out a way for it work perfectly.  The Franklin is poised on the edge of a cliff that is just steep and deep enough that they can jump start the ship. 

But then in the finale, on a giant space station with probably thousands of transporters, they could have ended the fight in seconds with the transporters.  Just about every stage of that final fight could have been solved by them zapping the bad guy and/or the maguffin out into space.  He wasn't even moving much during long sequences. 

I guess I sort of liked the loose structure of the movie, i.e., the crew works amazing feats when they are all together, then they lose the ship and get separated, then they get a ship and come back together.  I can appreciate that (even if it seems like something else they have mined from the novel Prime Directive), but yet another in a string of revenge seeking bad guys with impervious weapons?  Why does he even need the bio weapon when his bees can shred through anything (including shields)? 

And also, the way they beat the drones...with the Minmay defense from Macross?  Riiiiight. 

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2016 at 3:07am | IP Logged | 9  

ENTERPRISE never really clicked with me because it seemed they weren't really interested in world/Federation building (as the series was sold to us) and instead had them inventing or perfecting practically every technology seen in TOS every other week.

------------------------------------------------------------ --

They were starting to do that in Season 4 when Manny Coto got a bit more freedom to delve into the original shows history. But it was of course, too little, too late by that point.

As far the Romulan War. A rare criticism I have of the original show's idea there, is that I never quite bought that the Federation could have a war with an alien civilisation and never even discover what they look like! (Maybe if the Romulans had been known to wear some kind of helmet..) And it certainly would have been difficult to do that type of War in an actual weekly show. So I can understand why they were reluctant to get to that..

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2016 at 3:12am | IP Logged | 10  

The transporters work unless there's some kind of geological interference, and when they need to work (Kirk and alien babe holding hands while flying through the air) they figure out a way for it work perfectly.  The Franklin is poised on the edge of a cliff that is just steep and deep enough that they can jump start the ship.

------------------------------------------------------------ -

To be fair that idea of geological interference has come up in the shows before. And though I don't quite agree with the notion of being able to transport people together when they're moving like that, the 2009 film had them doing it with Kirk & Sulu's fall towards Vulcan.
But yeah I do agree that that Franklin bit, seemed a bit of a stretch..

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2016 at 4:24am | IP Logged | 11  

As far the Romulan War. A rare criticism I have of the original show's idea there, is that I never quite bought that the Federation could have a war with an alien civilisation and never even discover what they look like! (Maybe if the Romulans had been known to wear some kind of helmet..) And it certainly would have been difficult to do that type of War in an actual weekly show. So I can understand why they were reluctant to get to that..

Or it was a war that took completely place in space with no ground battles.

Spock said the following in Balance of Terror: Which allowed no quarter, no captives. Norwas there even ship-to-ship visual communication. Therefore, no human,Romulan, or ally has ever seen the other.

Seems to me it got explained.

I think it is more of a fan thing that there is a demand that humans and their allies had to face the Romulans in ground battle/boarding actions.

Dave Kopperman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2016 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 12  

Box office dropped over 50% on the second weekend.  I guess audiences don't like the beats and shouting, but I sure do.

Josh Goldberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2016 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 13  

I saw it this evening.  I liked it best of these new-fangled "Kelvin Timeline" movies.  And, for me, it had the added effect of making "ENTERPRISE" and the NX-01 cool retroactively.  I wanna go back and (re)watch that show now.

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 14  

I rightly skipped the second one and in a moment of weakness (and boredom) went to this. I bought a ticket for Bourne but decided on a whimto duck into this one instead. I regret that.

I hated it and thought about leaving several times. It really is style over substance but not in a cool and exciting fast and Furious 7 sort of way but in a "I'm embarrassed that they are feeding me this shit" kind of way.

I like the new character Jaylala. She was pretty captivating to watch and listen to. 

Who doesn't love Idris Elba? But he is largely wasted in this. Uninteresting villain with a slightly interesting but also somewhat telegraphed twist.

I, too thought they were going to the "weary" space traveler Kirk WAY too soon in his career. Like they forgot that the REAL Kirk had seen many more than just half of that initial 5 year mission. 

I'm surprised that so many of you liked it. I didn't like it as Trek 100% I didn't like it as a movie at all either.

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 15  

I did get emotional at the picture of the real crew, though.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 16  

I saw it Friday, and quite liked it. I agree that Idris Elba was kind of wasted in his role; if I hired Idris to be in a movie, I would get the heavy makeup off him and give him half the lines in the film!

So how come Scotty could fix the Franklin, but its own crew could not?

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 August 2016 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 17  

So how come Scotty could fix the Franklin, but its own crew could not?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`Oh come on man make the question hard. This one is so easy to answer. Scotty is a Miracle Worker.

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 02 August 2016 at 12:31pm

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2016 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 18  

I liked the new look Enterprise, even tho it was a short lived face lift, and I thought the character were finally developed where I could have an investment in.  I thought Karl Urban shined in the film.  I'm tired of the villain who's monkeying off of Ricardo Montalban but I guess Trek will never be original in that department.  Expect a villain from the same mold in the next film, and next film.

Paul Newland
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 August 2016 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 19  

Krall was a bit ropey but it was fun to have a decent female villain who didn't in any way feel the need to use sexiness as a weapon.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2016 at 11:09am | IP Logged | 20  

Looks like I'm going to see this tomorrow. A buddy is dying to see it and can't get his wife to go. He loved the other two films. 

At least I'll get movie theater popcorn. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2016 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 21  

So how come Scotty could fix the Franklin, but its own crew could not?

-----

I thought Jaylah had scavenged the parts it needed from the ships Krall
had captured over the years and had done some of the repairs herself.
Scotty just finished the job.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2016 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 22  

The obsession with Khan, and Khan-like (lite?) villains, is a bit curious... after all these years, I wonder why no single STAR TREK film has ever taken a crack at Q, Trelane, Charlie X, or the like?

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2016 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 23  

The obsession with Khan, and Khan-like (lite?) villains, is a bit curious... after all these years, I wonder why no single STAR TREK film has ever taken a crack at Q, Trelane, Charlie X, or the like?

I feel with you regarding Khan 'inspired' Star Trek villains. I think TWOK saved the original movies but I really hate how that movie came so merged with the Star Trek franchise and fandom that even non Trek fans think ST movies should be like that.

Well there have been four of them so far, Nemesis, Star Trek 2009, Into Darkness, and now Beyond and I would not call them exactly the highlight or embodiment of Star Trek unless you enjoy watching spaceships go 'pew pew'.

As for a 'villain' like Q, Trelane, or Charlie X, do remember that these are foes that the crew needed to fight with their intelligence as weapons and physical prowess was useless against them.
And often the goal over which was fought was philosophical in nature. (human aggression and maturation, growing up and learning to become an adult)

All themes the movie audience in general would not go watch a Star Trek movie for. They want lasers, and spaceships, and "beam me up Scotty".

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2016 at 7:40pm | IP Logged | 24  

I actually totally agree with Sam. The sky will be falling shortly. 

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2016 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 25  

I haven't seen the film yet, but, when I saw the trailer and saw in it Enterprise being ripped apart by the smaller ships, I kept thinking it looked familiar, and I've been trying, not too hard, to figure out what it reminded me of. It hit me today. It's the Jem'Hadar attack on USS Odyssey from Deep Space Nine.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version