Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Star Trek Beyond - Spoilers begin Pg 3 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2016 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 1  

The first trailer (with Beastie Boys music) was the worst I have seen for a Star Trek movie.  Totally inappropriate tone, not recognizably Star Trek, a complete miscalculation that suggested the filmmakers were clueless about what property they were working on. 

When I saw there was a new trailer, I almost didn't watch it.  However, morbid curiosity...

I actually like the new one.  More appropriate music, a more personal and serious feel and tone (including this Kirk's recriminations about being too shallow), the usual lovely FX eye candy, an interesting new threat, some reasonable emotional stakes.  As much as I hated that first trailer, this one attempts to reassure.  The one aspect from the first trailer I liked besides the McCoy wisecrack was the hint of a new and overwhelming hive-like alien attack on the Enterprise.  This second trailer expounds on that briefly but impressively.  They should have gone with this trailer first because it would have given me hope. 

However... it's hard not to think that this trailer was constructed entirely as a reaction to pacify fans like myself who so hated that first trailer.  In short, I don't trust these Trek creators.  The first impression that they wanted to give us in that initial trailer was so wrong-headed it's hard to believe that this new trailer is what we'll really get.  One of the trailers (or both) is a lie.  After the last movie, as much as I am starved for good new ST and as well constructed as this new trailer was, I remain highly dubious that Star Trek Beyond could deliver it. 

(Edited for subject -- Tim)

Edited by Tim O'Neill on 22 July 2016 at 11:52pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Spurlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2016 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 2  

I just watched it for pretty much the same reason as Rick, it's a train wreck I couldn't avoid looking at for curiosity's sake. One interesting thing that jumped out at me was a certain ship that looks like an older Enterprise from a certain show of the same name. Not a good thing, in my humble opinion.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2016 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 3  

I just don't recognize or like these characters.

The classic STAR TREK trilogy (II, III, IV) was about a great man dealing with
mortality*. These movies are about an average guy dealing with being an adult.
That's less impressive.

*This, I think, is also the "Marvel Style" done correctly. The FF, Iron Man,
Spider-Man -- they're all better than us, more noble, more admirable *but*
they grip with issues to which we can relate.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2016 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 4  

Fool me once...

(And after these trailers & film, no one should be allowed to ever again tease Shatner about his hair... what the heck is up with Chris Pine and Simon Pegg in this footage???)

Back to Top profile | search

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2016 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 5  

Not sure if I can sit through this entire movie, just to see if they get a better ship than the Abramsprise in the final scene...

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 22 May 2016 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 6  

As a non-TREK fan, I don't approach the new franchise with any expectations or emotional connection.  Even still, I found the first one to be no more than minimally entertaining, in a hollow, forgettable manner.  I haven't even bothered with the second, so the third is likely a pass for me as well.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2016 at 6:21am | IP Logged | 7  

I see what they did there.

I have a hard time believing this will engender goodwill towards the larger TREK fan base. I'm actually not sure what they were trying to accomplish.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2016 at 7:49am | IP Logged | 8  

Simon Pegg is a major Trekkie, and he said he wanted to throw up after he saw the first trailer. He feels the script for Beyond is closer in tone to TOS than either of the first two movies, and then the first trailer emphasized all the wrong points. We shall see.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2016 at 6:52am | IP Logged | 9  

I like the Naval inspired jacket,not the design drawning,but the one worn by Chris Pine.

Edited by Bill Collins on 11 June 2016 at 6:53am

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2016 at 10:09am | IP Logged | 10  

Han Solo?

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2016 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 11  

Bleech. Too busy.

Hollywood Costume Overdesign Syndrome strikes again!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 11 June 2016 at 1:57pm | IP Logged | 12  

Hollywood Costume Overdesign Syndrome strikes again!

•••

In a nutshell! Designers being designy. Same thing that afflicted TOS after the series went off. Impractical uniforms. Impractical ships (inside and out). "But it looks so cool!"

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2016 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 13  

(Incidentally, I saw THE CONJURING 2 in the theater tonight... during the coming attractions, they played the latest trailer for STAR TREK BEYOND.

For a theater that was a little less than half full, it was met with absolute dead silence.)

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2016 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 14  

For a theater that was a little less than half full, it was met with absolute dead silence.)

Oh boy. Question: I don't know what kind of movie the Conjuring 2 is but was the present audience withing the group category the producers of Star Trek Beyond are aiming for?

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 15  

Marten, considering there was some sort of reaction, positive or negative, to all the other trailers and ads, I don't think it mattered if they were STAR TREK fans or not... the major point was that there was nothing. No groans, no snickers, no murmurs of support or whispers of derision.

Like I said, dead silence. Which I found rather telling.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 13 June 2016 at 6:05pm

Ron Goad
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2016 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 16  

Total, utter, disinterest... Does not bode well at all...

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 17  

Like I said, dead silence. Which I found rather telling.

Yep, that is why I was curious if these are the type of people Paramount wants to attract and go watch Star Trek Beyond.

But these are really bad signs, it does not generate interest or dislike, or even make people just chuckle how silly or stupid some parts may look in their eyes.

The brand doesn't entice them and what they saw of the movie may not even have made them think "hmm, this could be a fun action adventure movie with aliens and spaceships, perhaps I will check it out."

It was just wasting their time as they were waiting for the main movie to start.

Of course we don't know what the public's reactions will be once the movie is in the theaters but right now there is absolutely no massive anticipation for its release. (there are probably some people looking forwards to it)

And already there are plans for the next Star Trek movie.
Paramount does not seem to be in contact with its audience, and the audience no longer seems to care as the gimmick of the Star Trek looks like it has worn out its welcome.

I still really would like to know what influence the Star Trek reboot has had on the general public, not just the movies but also the comics, video games and so on.
Has the reboot restored public awareness of the Star Trek franchise and attracted new fans who are now also checking out the television shows, movies, and comics, books, and games. Has it remained stable? Or has it decreased.

A while back I was checking out the comic sales on Star Trek titles as I wanted to know how well New Visions sold, but during that I also checked out the sales of other IDW titles including the monthly comic based on the new movies.
When you compare these sales numbers to earlier years or those from other publishers they has been dropping. The ongoing comic does not even sell 10000 issues anymore while before some ST comics sold more than 20000 issues.

From that point of view I would be saying that Star Trek awareness is decreasing but I also need to take into account that comics have sort of gone out of fashion as well with the younger generations.

Anyway I did not mean to change topics. I just wanted to say that the new movies seem to have failed at restoring the brand awareness.
I think the 2009 movie was mostly well received because it was the current 'in' thing, the 'something' you have to have seen. (and because Abrams was probably attached to it)

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 18  

I remember when the first teaser for STAR TREK VI : THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY played at my local theater, there were a lot of mutterings from the audience of "Not again", plus a few groans and boos. No cheers, nor applause. Such was the aftermath of FINAL FRONTIER.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 19  

I just wanted to say that the new movies seem to have failed at restoring the brand awareness.
----------------------------------------------------
Something Geoff Johns said in the apologies leading up to DC Rebirth resonated with me viz-a-viz NuTrek.  He said that what they failed to take into account when they launched the New52 was how the changes would affect the audience.  He gave the example of Superboy, a character who he himself wrote for some time, and loved.  The New52 version, however, was so dramatically changed that he found it cut the emotional ties he had to the character that made him want to come back and read the comic.  He wasn't particularly mad, he just didn't care anymore.  It wasn't his Superboy.

I think that's pretty much where I am on NuTrek.  I'm not mad.  But that's not my Captain Kirk, or my Spock, or my McCoy, so I just find myself not particularly caring much anymore.

Edited by Steve De Young on 14 June 2016 at 9:47am

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 20  

I think that's pretty much where I am on NuTrek.  I'm not mad.  But that's not my Captain Kirk, or my Spock, or my McCoy, so I just find myself not particularly caring much anymore.

I wonder, does the new audience care about their Captain Kirk, Mr Spock, or doctor McCoy? And I mean the characters, not the actors portraying them.
Would they be sad if one of the big three died? And I mean permanently dead, not brought back by a plot device.

I remember when the first teaser for STAR TREK VI : THE UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY played at my local theater, there were a lot of mutterings from the audience of "Not again", plus a few groans and boos. No cheers, nor applause. Such was the aftermath of FINAL FRONTIER.

Let's hope that they were pleasantly surprised with the actual film when they saw it.

Edited by Marten van Wier on 14 June 2016 at 10:00am

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 9:08pm | IP Logged | 21  

The Abrams reboot has given us one film that was a crashing failure in its attempt to be the next GalaxyQuest and another that is a derivative hodgepodge of bummer moments and nonsense. The brand "Star Trek" as a film property is not likely to inspire audiences at this point to anything except derision and dismissal. 

Paraphrasing from the musical 1776: "Never was such a valuable property so stupidly and recklessly managed..."

Exactly why would anyone be excited about another of these coming to the screen? Because the third one in any series of films can always be relied upon to be the very best..?

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2016 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 22  

Brian: Exactly why would anyone be excited about another of these coming to the screen? Because the third one in any series of films can always be relied upon to be the very best..?

It's Goldfinger. Every time!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2016 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 23  

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2016/06/17/chris-pine- says-star-trek-cant-be-cerebral-in-2016/

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2016 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 24  

Oy gevalt.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2016 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 25  

Chris Pine: "...in a world where everybody’s trying to kill one another all of the time, that’s an important thing. Is working together important? Should we all go our separate ways? Does being united against something mean anything?”

Finally, Star Trek has the guts to tackle the prickly issue of teamwork- pros and cons. Beyond indeed!

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version