Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Q4JB:Biggest Misconceptions about Comic Industry (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2016 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 1  

Question for John Byrne:
What are some of the biggest/common misconceptions that comics fans and civilians have about the inner working of comics?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 May 2016 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 2  

Good question! Here are some of the things I have encountered:

• We all work together in one big office. I'll admit that it surprised me, too, when I visited Marvel and DC back in '71 and learned that mostly it was only production staff who actually worked in the offices of the various companies. Artists and writers were scattered everywhere.

• We're all pals and hang out together after work. A cousin to the above. And some do. But most don't. Geographical distance makes it impossible, even if clashing egos did not sometimes get in the way.

• The writer does the lettering. I suppose that's sort of logical, from an outsider viewpoint.

• Artists just draw what they're told. Even to this day there are lots of fans, never mind civilians, who do not understand the plot/pencils/script approach, sometimes called the Marvel Method.

• Coloring is done on the actual boards. Again, I suppose that's sort of logical for someone not in the know.

• The person(s) working on particular characters created the characters. Sometimes true. But when I moved into my old house there was some disappointment from kids on the block that I was not Stan Lee. After all, it had gone 'round that the "guy who created Spider-Man" was moving in. This based on a misapprehension on the part of the realtor who sold me the place. I still sometimes get people looking at me askance when I say I have done Batman or Superman. Surely I am not old enough. . .

• Royalties are paid on resale. Somehow there is an idea that when a second/third/fifteenth hand comic is resold at a comic shop, the creative team gets a piece of the sale.

• Comics are huge moneymakers. This is mostly in the wake of the hugely successful movie franchises. The assumption is that all that success crosses over to the comics themselves.

• Comics just sort of happen. They spring fully grown from Zeus' head or something. So many times I have met civilians who have given no thought at all to the creative process.

• The creators of Superman were targeted for particularly nasty treatment by the huge, faceless corporation. Can't count the number of times I have tried to dispel this one, with civilians and fans alike. People have trouble understanding that is was all just business as usual.

• The above happened because the Corporation saw the goldmine in Superman and wanted to squeeze his creators out of the game as quickly as possible. Nope. But try and convince people of that eighty years after the fact!

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2016 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 3  

Thanks!

You left of the one where comic creators are rich and live in mansions. That's what I figured when I was a kid - if people who hit a ball with a stick and run in circles are millionaires, surely comic creators were! Was it just me?

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2016 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 4  

Here's a misconception I had when I was a kid;
-Comics are like newspapers put together and shipped just days before I bought them.

And here is one I had no misconception of;
-when reading the letters page I used to cringe when people would write in criticizing an artist or writer solely on their style. And these are just the letters that were printed. I know you need to have a degree of thick skin, heck there was many an art class where my art was critiqued but it least it was from other artists.
Comic creators have feelings too.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 May 2016 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 5  

You left of the one...

•••

Damn. I broke my own rule about not making lists, and immediately I am reminded why I have that rule in the first place.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2016 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 6  

• We all work together in one big office. I'll admit that it surprised me, too, when I visited Marvel and DC back in '71 and learned that mostly it was only production staff who actually worked in the offices of the various companies. Artists and writers were scattered everywhere.

Guilty as charged (but I was about 8). I just envisioned a production line.

An interesting list, anyway. 

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2016 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
You left of the one...

•••

Damn. I broke my own rule about not making lists, and immediately I am reminded why I have that rule in the first place.

Sorry, JB. I didn't mean you literally left off anything. Poor choice of words, should have said "One of my own misconceptions ..."

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2016 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 8  

I think the one that still prevails today is that the publishers were looking to screw the writers and artist and tricked them into giving away their characters.

And it would be nice if the guys who created the characters we're seeing in movies nowadays (from both Marvel and DC) were making more money (or made more while alive), but comics in the 30's, 40's or 60's were a completely different industry than they are now.  Writers and artists mainly saw it as a way to pay the bills and publishers took the financial risk in exchange for holding the rights to whatever they published.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2016 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 9  

Here is my perception but i hope someone tells me i have it all wrong or grossly distorted. 

I get the impression there is so much egotistical in-fighting that the politics gets in the way of the "fun".

While i know ill never get a chance to work for a comic company, based on my perception i wonder if i would ever accept an offer if it did come my way.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 07 May 2016 at 2:51pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2016 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 10  

Comics are huge moneymakers. This is mostly in the wake of the hugely successful movie franchises. The assumption is that all that success crosses over to the comics themselves.

•••••

Good point…. honestly can't see HOW anyone would still make that connection considering how different the characters are from comics to the big screen these days!!

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2016 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 11  

Regarding the notion that comics, movies, etc. are big money makers; last month Zach Toback, VP of News and Non-Fiction production & Studio Operations at ABC News stopped by my company's sales meeting when he arrived in Las Vegas for NAB. He explained that his division was responsible for 80% of the company's revenue. The perception that the parks, movies, comics, etc. are the big money makers at ABC/Disney is a huge misconception. While I am sure the "sexy" products at the company represent a nice chunk of change, they pale in comparison to the News Division. I had not checked the company financial statements since hearing Zach talk about this, but there isn't any reason to doubt him.

Comics and their related properties generate revenue, but they are far from the flagship product line for the company.

Edited by Eric Ladd on 10 May 2016 at 10:22am

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2016 at 11:16am | IP Logged | 12  

That's, uh, news to me. I thought that the proliferation of free news websites was threatening their profitability?

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version