Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: HULK Request for advice from JB & forum buddies (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2016 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 1  

Hi Everybuddy,

I have the opportunity to purchase a copy of the HULK OMNIBUS vol. 1, which collects Lee and Kirby's HULK 1-6, plus TALES TO ASTONISH 59-101 OR wait for the June 21st release of Marvel's INCREDIBLE HULK EPIC COLLECTION: MAN or MONSTER? trade paperback which collects issues 1-6 of Lee and Kirby's HULK plus issues 12, 25-26 of FANTASTIC FOUR.

I have heard JB describe those first 6 issues of the HULK as akin to magical!  I forget his exact words.  My question for JB and the forum is would you recommend I pick up the fairly expensive omnibus (with all the TALES TO ASTONISH) or wait for the much less expensive trade (minues the TALES)?  Thoughts?

Thanks so much!
Marc

Edited by Marc Baptiste on 07 May 2016 at 6:29am
Back to Top profile | search

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2016 at 6:38am | IP Logged | 2  

Marc what is the price difference between the two sets ?How much is it worth it to you to have the TOA stories?..................Edit to addOkay I just checked it's about a 60 dollar difference.

I'd go with the trade. You can find the Tales to Astonish stories in trade for a cheaper price.

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 07 May 2016 at 6:44am

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2016 at 6:47am | IP Logged | 3  

Anthony,

Thank you for your thoughts!  I should have added my main concern is not about price - it's mainly about the quality and entertainment value of the Tales to Astonish issues.  If they had been written and drawn by Lee and Kirby it would be a no-brainer for me to get the Omnibus, but they weren't, hence my hesitation.

Thanks again,
Marc

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2016 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 4  

Well, if it was me I'd buy the Epic Collection for the convenience of having all of the pre-TTA Hulks in one place. Then, whenever Marvel got around to putting out an Epic Collection or two of the Tales to Astonish stories, I get those as well.

But for your consideration -
* Steve Ditko did Hulk #6, not Kirby.
* Stan Lee wrote all of the TTA stories (it's possible he missed one or two, but no more than that).
* Jack Kirby did around a dozen of the TTA stories, taking over from Steve Ditko, who kicked off the feature. (Marie Severin was the primary artist after Kirby (eventually), but Bill Everett, John Buscema, Gil Kane and Bob Powell also made appearances.)
* Storywise, I prefer the TTA stories, especially the extended Leader storyline (#60-74) that kicked it off.
* In the original 6 issues, there's a sense that they're not quite sure how they want to handle the character. (Up to you if that's a plus or a minus.) Things are a little more stable in TTA, with changes occurring more gradually/naturally.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2016 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 5  

Does it have to be one of these?  The softcover MARVEL MASTERWORKS first HULK volume has just the first six issues for $25 (I think--most of them are $25, but this one was shorter), but I bought it for half off at a con and it's listed on Amazon for around $10 from various sellers.

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2016 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | 6  

If the Hulk Epic Collection had Avengers 1-5 included, it would be worth purchasing.  

Why have Fantastic Four 12, 25 & 26 and not any of the mentioned Avengers issues? Those Avengers tales give as much background to the Hulk as the FF stories.

Greg Nyman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2016 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 7  

I have the Hulk Omnibus, but I also have that Epic Collection on order too.

The Hulk Omnibus is great because you get all of the pages oversized, letter pages are included, plus it has extras in the back like original art pages and reprint covers. One drawback is that the Hulk 1-6 issues do not have remastered artwork like the other issues do. (Marvel has been going back and improving the quality of artwork restoration that don't meet their current standards.) Plus, I just love all those Tales to Astonish Hulk stories.

I've ordered the Man or Monster Epic Collection in hopes that issues 1-6 will have remastered artwork (1-6 don't look horrible in the Omnibus, but compared to the Tales to Astonish issues and 102, they look less crisp). And, it will be nice to have those in-between appearances from FANTASTIC FOUR 12, 25-26; AVENGERS 1-3, 5; AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 14; TALES TO ASTONISH 59 (this is in the omnibus); and JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY 112 all collected in one spot.

So, for me, it's worth having both, but I'm a Hulk nut.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2016 at 9:47pm | IP Logged | 8  

I have the Masterworks (at least for the first six issues) and the
Omnibus, and they're both great. Love the first six issues, and there's a
lot of good stuff in the TTA stories, as well.

The Omnibus probably has the best overall presentation, but the trades
are nice, too. Guess we'll soon see how the Epic Collection compares.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version