Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Announcements
Byrne Robotics > Announcements << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: New, Recent and Classic by John Byrne - Updated 12-22-2018 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 May 2016 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

STAR BRAND was a moment best forgotten, as part of my career, and as part of Marvel history. When Howard Mackie, as editor, asked me if I would care to take on Jim Shooter's version of Green Lantern, I agreed, making a promise to myself that I would do the best STAR BRAND I could, not destroy it as everyone expected.

Circumstances made my best work difficult to achieve, and the parts did not come together as I had hoped. Nothing was actually destroyed, I just cannot recommend the series.

So, even tho I get royalties from this reprint, you all have my permission to pass it by!

Back to Top profile | search

Bert Kruger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2016 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I read it, still have them I think.
They're not that bad JB, I would think you were pretty limited as it being a different universe and all the Marvel characters you could use you couldn't and were stuck with the hand dealt to you. All in all it wasn't that bad, better than most stuff being printed today IMO.

Bert Kruger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2016 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

JB only does a couple issues #189 & #190... 

MARVEL MASTERWORKS: THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN VOL. 18 HC

Written by MARV WOLFMAN with
BILL MANTLO & JIM STARLIN
Penciled by ROSS ANDRU & KEITH POLLARD with SAL BUSCEMA, JIM STARLIN &
JOHN BYRNE
Cover by KEITH POLLARD
Spider-Man has become the world’s favorite super hero — and together with Ross Andru, Keith Pollard and guest artists including John Byrne and Jim Starlin, Marv Wolfman will prove why! Sure, there are fearsome villains to fight — such as Electro, Jigsaw and the Spider-Slayer! And unlikely enemies to face — such as Rocket Racer and the Big Wheel! And J. Jonah Jameson has an even sharper axe than usual to grind with Spidey after their latest encounter with the Man-Wolf! But the true drama, as always, comes from Peter Parker. As Aunt May hangs onto life by a thread, will Mary Jane accept Peter’s marriage proposal? And when Betty Brant walks back into his love life, what’s a Parker to do? Collecting AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (1963) #181-192 and material from AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ANNUAL #12, plus the MIGHTY MARVEL COMICS CALENDAR 1978.
272 PGS./Rated T …$75.00
ISBN: 978-1-302-90028-1

Bert Kruger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2016 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

LEGENDS 30TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION
U.S. Price: $16.99
ON SALE 6/1

In the wake of CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS, the heroes of the DC Universe must find a new purpose and direction in the battle for justice! When G. Gordon Godfrey arrives on behalf of Darkseid to create a hate campaign that outlaws super-heroic activities, the world’s greatest find themselves fighting the very people they swore to protect! Don’t miss this new edition collecting the 6-issue miniseries, including the first appearance of the modern Suicide Squad!

Bert Kruger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2016 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

MARVEL MASTERWORKS: THE BLACK PANTHER VOL. 2 HC
Written by JACK KIRBY & ED HANNIGAN with JIM SHOOTER & CHRIS CLAREMONT
Penciled by JACK KIRBY & JERRY BINGHAM with JOHN BYRNE
Cover by JACK KIRBY
Jack “King” Kirby returns to the character with whom he made history as the Marvel Masterworks presents Kirby’s complete Black Panther series and its never-before-reprinted conclusion in one massive volume! Kirby’s limitless imagination unfurls before you as T’Challa unlocks the secret of King Solomon’s frog, encounters alien races, battles eternal samurai warriors and more! The history of the Wakandans, their majestic city and their amazing technology, and the origins of Vibranium, are all explored with a power and passion that only Kirby can offer. Then, Ed Hannigan and Jerry Bingham present an epic battle between the Black Panther, the Avengers and Panther’s nemesis, Ulysses Klaw! And finally, T’Challa returns to the American South to root out the evil Soul Strangler’s cult! Collecting BLACK PANTHER (1977) #1-15, MARVEL PREMIERE #51-53 and material from MARVEL TEAM-UP (1972) #100.
352 PGS./Rated T …$75.00
ISBN: 978-1-302-90020-5

I think only the Marvel Team-Up #100 has the JB art.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2016 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Hey, what happened to Kirby's little finger nail nubs on the Panther's hands?

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 09 June 2016 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Speaking of MARVEL TEAM-UP, here's a great collection that didn't make the list above:

This trade paperback of MARVEL TEAM-UP collects issues #59-70 and #75 by JB and Chris Claremont

Bert Kruger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2016 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Avengers By John Byrne Omnibus

Earth's Mightiest Heroes by one of comics' biggest names! John Byrne transforms the West Coast Avengers as the dismantling of the Vision sets the android's bewitching wife, Wanda Maximoff, down a path that is far darker than scarlet! On the East Coast, Byrne steers the Avengers through attack by the Lava Men and into the Negative Zone in search of the Eternals! Then along comes a spider as a friendly neighborhood wall-crawler joins the Assemblers on a journey to the stars! But what is Immortus's ultimate plan? From the Evolutionary War to Acts of Vengeance and more, it's an eventful volume filled with epic tales written and/or drawn by Byrne! Collecting WEST COAST AVENGERS (1985) #42-46, AVENGERS WEST COAST #47-62 and ANNUAL #4, AVENGERS (1963) #305-318 and ANNUAL #18, and material fromAVENGERS SPOTLIGHT #23 and WHAT THE--?! #6

Comes out July 6, 2016

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2016 at 9:36pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

(whispers, so JB doesn't hear)

Bert,

Are those Star Brand editions in color??  I find it impossible to pass up JB stuff!!

Marc

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2016 at 10:45pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

When I first read Star Brand as a kid, I found the scene that explored what would happen if death were eliminated to be thought-provoking.  When people do things for the benefit of society, they should consider the unintended consequences.

Bert Kruger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2016 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Marc, 
I'm not sure, but I would think they are.
I have the originals so I haven't bothered to look at the trade...
Remember only Vol. 2 has JB's work in it.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 13 July 2016 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The first post in this thread has been updated to include the release of JB's adaptation of "The Cage" as the STAR TREK NEW VISIONS special edition:

I also added the AVENGERS BY JOHN BYRNE omnibus to the first post - it collects JB's amazing run on AVENGERS WEST COAST.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version