Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: "Gut" question for JB (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 1  

(Please excuse if this has been covered elsewhere. I didn't come across it.)

Comics-wise, which "universe" of the Big Two (in terms of characters) do you feel yourself connected to, deep down, like a gut feeling: DC or Marvel?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 2  

When it came time to choose -- mostly due to restrictions on my comicbook buying imposed by my mother -- my young self dropped DC books for Marvel, so I suppose that's as close to an answer as there could be.
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 3  

Batman was probably my favorite character as a kid and, if pushed, probably I'd say he still is now. I still love a host of DC characters. But for me: Make Mine Marvel.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 5:14pm | IP Logged | 4  

MAKE MINE (TRUE) MARVEL!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 6:59pm | IP Logged | 5  

Marvel all the way for me - it's not even a contest. I didn't take to DC until New Teen Titans. I tried some Superman and it didn't feel like the movie

I had quit reading comics by the time JB was on Superman, so I missed it the first time around. It's been fun reading them since, so I see why the stories mean so much to people.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 6  

It's quite amazing, when I think of how big a role Marvel has played in my life, to realize that there was a time for me when there was no such thing as "Marvel Comics". Even when I occasionally saw the pre-superhero comics at the barber shop (my introduction to Fin Fang Foom!) they were not labeled as such. Only the initiated knew what that tiny "MC" on the cover stood for.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 7  

More of a Marvel guy growing up. Though I really liked the Justice League of America and the Brave and the Bold from DC. I was introduced to most DC heroes via  those books. For Marvel Avengers and Captain America were my favorite books. Oddly enough I didn't really follow Marvel's flagship books: the Amazing Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four.  

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 8  

Batman's my favorite although Thor gives him a run for his money. But, I'm a Marvel guy from head to toe way down in my bones. DC has just never had that "magic" that Marvel seemed to have. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 9:54pm | IP Logged | 9  

Marvel for me,as much as i liked Batman and Superman,the other DC characters seemed hokey to me,while Marvel`s characters seemed more real.

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2016 at 10:33pm | IP Logged | 10  

Other than occasional barber shop reads and following JB over during his times there, I have never been a DC fan.  Marvel almost exclusively here, since I was about 10 years old, starting with Star Wars and G.I. Joe, then moving on to FF, Avengers, Amazing Spider-Man and X-Men all via Secret Wars, then Alpha Flight not long after. Been a fun ride, other than finding most of their output unreadable for years. I spend more time in the Comics section of my local Half Price Books than an LCS these days. 

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2016 at 3:41am | IP Logged | 11  

I always liked both, from Day One right up to the present.  Even though I can't stand the latest DC reboots, I still get excited when Neal Adams decides to do a Superman or Batman mini-series!  Or even when I find an Elliot Maggin/Curt Swan SUPERMAN I never read in the discount box.  I have a pile of Bob Haney/Jim Aparo BRAVE AND THE BOLDs sitting right next to me that I never read before!  And they only cost me a dollar each!  (So much for the thought that I could retire on selling my old comics!)

But I always knew they were different (ever since I was nine and started reading both) and I had to be in a DC frame of mind to read DC comics, and I had to be in a Marvel state of mind to read the Marvels.  Of course, the DCs I read often had a self-contained story where Batman or Superman had to figure something out to stop a threat; over at Marvel, the stories were usually something more obviously fun like the Thing and the Hulk just slugging it out or Spider-Man swinging through a ton of bad guys while spouting some fun one-liners.  Smart and fun, fun and smart.

Present-day DC could possibly end this life-long double love affair though.  Marvel always returns to its roots it seems to me, but it has been a very long time since DC was smart OR fun.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 23 April 2016 at 8:20am

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2016 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 12  

Well, I started off as a DC guy, I guess....as Super Friends and the Adam West Batman series were early staples. Although, around the same time, I was also enjoying the 60's Spider-Man animated series...

Once I started actually reading comics, Spider-Man was first. Was also now seeing him on The Electric Company. I discovered the Hulk in comics. And that pretty much locked me in...then his TV show hit. Discovered the FF, the Avengers...the "Marvel Universe". I read Marvel comics pretty exclusively. Didn't keep me from the theater when SUPERMAN came out, though.

By the early 80's, I was a huge Marvel fan. Subscriptions to The Incredible Hulk, The Fantastic Four, Uncanny X-Men. I had little to no interest in DC stuff (unless it was the company crossover books  -- Batman Vs. The Incredible Hulk reminded me that Batman was pretty cool...).

By the mid-80's, I was still a Marvel guy, but I would read "high profile" books like Crisis and The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Year One, etc. Oh, yeah...and JB jumped on Superman....which reminded me how cool HE was (Superman, that is...though JB is pretty cool, too). I was reading Superman books on a monthly basis...for the first time, ever...

Then the 90's hit....and my trusty Marvel comics weren't as enjoyable, anymore.  I left Superman not long after JB did. I stopped collecting, for the most part (new issues, anyway).

The best representation of heroes - on screen or books - that came about during that time were the Batman and Superman animated series (later, Justice League). 2005 saw BATMAN BEGINS...probably the best live action portrayal of a superhero since 1978.

Then, 2008 -- IRON MAN hits. And THE INCREDIBLE HULK. Suddenly, there was a new Marvel Universe...a cinematic one. As it's grown, I've found it as engaging and enjoyable as some of those old Marvel comics. And once again, I have little interest in what's going on with the DC side...

I'm back to being a Marvel guy. Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with new Marvel comics.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 23 April 2016 at 11:14am

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version