Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Hulk VS Lizard (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2016 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 1  

Since I was at least at 9 years of age, I have craved a Hulk/Lizard battle. To the best of my knowledge, it has never happened.

It'd be a treat for me, from both a storyline perspective and artistically. I know it's a slight mismatch - the 70s Hulk would no doubt subdue Lizard quickly - but a brief battle would be most welcomed, at least by myself.

What do the rest of you think?

Only way I can see to make it competitive is to have a weakened and depowered Hulk (perhaps the early one from the first issue) against a Lizard on his best day. Even then, I can still predict a Hulk victory.
Back to Top profile | search

Ed Fahey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2016 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 2  

The Lizard is one of those (many) characters that was softened and de-powered as time wore on. He was incredibly strong in his first appearance, but not so much after. A battle between that early Lizard and the Hulk may not be as one sided as many might think. I think he could also communicate and control all reptiles as well, so he had that ability as well.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2016 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 3  

Cool idea, Ed (I like the idea of Lizard summoning a LOAD of crocs and alligators against the early, lumbering Hulk). 

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2016 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 4  

It seems to me that the Lizard as he appeared in his debut issue would be somewhat akin to the very early Thing, perhaps a similarly hard-to-pierce hide and maybe with the Lizard's tail hitting nearly as hard as the Thing's fists. Since Ben Grimm stood toe-to-toe with the Hulk, maybe the Lizard could have too... for a bit. I think in the same way the Hulk outmatched the Thing, the Thing would have outmatched the Lizard, so more likely the Lizard was two notches below the Hulk.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2016 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 5  

Really constructive and intriguing comments, guys.

Sometimes questions like this are hard. The 70s era Hulk, who I grew up with, would probably pound the Lizard to within an inch of his life - and it'd probably take one or two panels. However, early Hulk VS Lizard might be a little more competitive.

It's the same with, say, Hulk VS Superman. The 1938 Man of Steel versus 1970s Hulk would be fairly competitive - and Hulk may stand a chance, but 1970s Superman versus 1962 Hulk would be, well, I'd give the victory to the Man of Steel!

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2016 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 6  

I think it's an interesting idea. Both characters are scientists with an alter-
ego they would like to get rid of created through science gone awry.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2016 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 7  

I hadn't considered that angle, Paul (my brain was fixated on the punch-up!). 

I can imagine Banner and Connors working in a lab together to see if they can help each other out - before the inevitable clash.

This is the sort of thing I'd like to see DC and Marvel do rather than yet another origin retelling, untold tale or reboot/relaunch. There must be encounters that have not been done (I don't recall a Hulk/Lizard encounter and Bing images doesn't show anything). 

Instead of giving us another origin/Year One story, or a reboot, why not put two characters together who've never fought?

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2016 at 4:46pm | IP Logged | 8  

Robbie, I think you'll just have to commission JB to draw a picture and find out!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2016 at 5:07pm | IP Logged | 9  

If you needed to even the odds a bit, Doc Connors could be exposed to a little gamma radiation while doing his research with Banner.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2016 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 10  

I can picture that commission. Maybe the Lizard and the Hulk fighting in a
lab, you can see that they were in the middle of an experiment that went
wrong. Maybe it "went wrong" because of Spider-man or the Leader
showing up?

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2016 at 8:15pm | IP Logged | 11  

The Hulk vs. the Lizard in a locked white room would be over pretty quickly.  In reality though (or more reality at least), you drop the two of them in a crowded New York neighborhood, throw in a lot of Lizard-controlled reptiles attacking innocent citizens (including perhaps somebody Hulk cares about), with some back story about Drs. Banner and Conners meeting beforehand (working on a mutual cure perhaps), and remember that the Lizard is quicker and more brutal than Hulk--you have the makings of an awesome graphic novel!  Make it oversized, get John Byrne to write and draw it, put Tom Palmer on inks and Steve Oliff on colors, and you have one of the best things ever!

Paul Reis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 April 2016 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 12  

i like the idea of "The Lizard .. was incredibly strong in his first appearance" v. the early Hulk.

Not meant as a thread drift but i immediately thought of the Avengers 1 1/2 by Bruce Timm - i think that was a much better way to get those "what if fanboy scenarios" rather than fitting them into current timelines with flashbacks and other tricks. (and since i don't really buy comics anymore, new comics wedged in to the old continuity that i did buy, and do love, would get me buying new comics) 

how about a "The Incredible Hulk 114 1/2" (i have no idea a Lizard story would fit there, i just like a new comic that would try to fit into a  run with a "1/2" stuck on the end.)

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version