Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: KONG: Skull Island ~ SPOILERS begin Pg 3 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2017 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The trailer does say "from the producers of Godzilla," which could be the extent of that ref, though
 INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
the Rodan, Mothra, etc. credits are something else.
Definitely wish I didn't know the spoiler if it's genuine, but if so, that secret won't survive opening night.  John C. Reilly's jovial delivery of "we're all gonna die together out here... you shouldn't have come here...!!" is hilarious.

Edited by Matt Reed on 23 February 2017 at 11:37pm
Back to Top profile | search | email

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2017 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The first Godzilla movie only mentioned Godzilla and
"Mutos", it didn't introduce (or name) any other
classic Godzilla foes so I highly doubt a solo King
Kong movie is going to introduce 3 of them.
I suspect the upcoming Godzilla: King of all monsters
film will be where those foes are introduced.

Everything I've read about the upcoming King Kong
movie suggests that the ties to Godzilla are slim.
Kong lives in the same world, and the organization
that knew about Godzilla and Mutos, knows about Kong,
and that's it.

There hasn't been a spoiler revealed here, just
speculation.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 7:03pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I've read elsewhere that King Kong is going to include a teaser for Godzilla 2. What I DO NOT like is that they're apparently calling the second movie either "Godzilla: King of the Monsters" of "Godzilla: King of All Monsters". 

(Then again, I don't like that their plans include doing a King Kong vs. Godzilla movie. That fight should last all of 10 seconds. 15, if Kong can dodge Godzilla's breath weapon. Then he gets taken out by a tail smash, instead.)

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 8:43pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

(Then again, I don't like that their plans include doing a King Kong vs. Godzilla movie. That fight should last all of 10 seconds. 15, if Kong can dodge Godzilla's breath weapon. Then he gets taken out by a tail smash, instead.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's a good thing you aren't writing the screenplay Brian.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2017 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yeah I don't see this as much of a spoiler if the company
making the movie told you two years ago that they were
doing a shared universe that would lead to a Godzilla vs.
King Kong film. I would and did already think that the
other names were going to be part of the package.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 23 February 2017 at 11:31pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Combined the two threads and tried to inviso-text any spoilers.  

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2017 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Is it bad that I have ZERO interest in seeing this movie?  The trailer laid out all of the beats of the entire movie practically.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2017 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

No it isn't bad that you have zero interest in seeing the movie Jozef.
 How do you know that the trailer laid it all out? Unless you see the film you won't know for certain.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2017 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Totally psyched for this one... my son and I can't wait!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2017 at 11:35pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'm probably going to see this in the cinema. I like what I have seen so far. Yes, Kong is too big, but to be honest, the fact that Kong is alive at all should be enough to be a deciding factor on the yes/no question.

So, if I'm going to accept that he is alive, I'm accepting this is a parallel universe to the 1933 film, so he can be 100 feet tall.

He just can't be a silverback

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2017 at 10:22am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

With the exception of SON OF KONG, wouldn't you have to consider any other Kong film as taking place in a "separate universe" from the original?

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2017 at 4:21pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Generally decent reviews starting to trickle out now... sounds like just the fun ride I'm hoping for.  The capsule review that interests me the most:

"Imagine Spielberg's THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK as if it had been written & directed by GREMLINS-era Joe Dante."

Yes, please!!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2017 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Brian, I don't consider any other Kong film after the original to even exist. This one may, may, get a pass. If it's rubbish? Ceases to exist and back to one Kong movie

paul naring
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2017 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I was happy with Jacksons 2005 remake. That can sit on my shelf quite happily next to the original. This new version doesn't seem to have anything 'new' in it.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 09 March 2017 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Ech.  Couldn't disagree more with that sentiment if I tried, but to each his own.  Saw Jackson's film once and that was enough for me to vow never to watch it again.  I think it's awful, beginning to end.  

KONG: SKULL ISLAND looks more to my liking.  It obviously can't take place in the world of the original '33 film unless there's an explanation given for naming a second giant gorilla Kong, but it looks like a rollercoaster ride with an excellent cast.  Consider me "in"!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 March 2017 at 9:36pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

As I mentioned once before in some other movie or Kong-related thread... I'm not even convinced there's necessarily a great KING KONG film buried somewhere inside Peter Jackson's 2005 remake; all I know is that it's one of the most ridiculously bloated major productions of the last 20 years.

I liked it okay when I first saw it in the theaters, but each attempt afterwards only helped underscore what a shockingly lousy movie it really is.  SKULL ISLAND can only be a huge step-up, as far as I'm concerned.

Edited by Shaun Barry on 09 March 2017 at 9:59pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2017 at 12:53am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I'll pile onto the hatepile stacking up on top of the Jackson version of King Kong. Almost every decision made in that picture was the wrong one, from casting to story to the deeply twisted feminist slant ladled into the mix. An artificial, overly-calculated sludgefest of a film. That thing is 187 minutes long and I enjoyed exactly two of them, and not all that much either. Dreadful beyond description.

That said, there is still something intrinsically appealing about Kong and his story, and no matter how many times they screw this up, I still somehow find myself wanting to love the next one. I'll see SKULL ISLAND at point, I'm sure, and until then, I'm going to hope against hope it isn't in the hands of anyone even remotely like the team that brought us the last one.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2017 at 3:03am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

From  a review that I read and from people who have seen it. They say this isn't a remake of the original. It has more in common with Toho studio's King vs Godzilla than it does the original. Which is a good thing in my book. Nothing can touch the original film. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2017 at 6:59am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

It dawns on me that Kong is my 'Lucy's football'. Far more so than say X-Men movies which I have given up on and stopped viewing.

I see so many bad Kong movies, yet every time a new one comes out, I go, expecting something great and walk out think 'That was rubbish'.

Now, you may be thinking 'This can't of happened that often' but one of the first movies I saw in a cinema was King Kong Escapes. probably when I was 3 or 4, depending on the year it was released. I hated it. i then hated the 1976 version. I then saw King Kong Lives on TV (well, a bit of it) and hated it and finally the Jackson one. Which I hated.

The only one I love is the 1933 one, which I have loved since I was either 3 or 4 (I know I had seen that before I saw King Kong Escapes).

So yeah, Lucy and the football, since I was 3 or 4

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2017 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Thinking about it some more this morning, I like the fact that SKULL ISLAND seems to be taking a somewhat different approach to a Kong film... between the 1933 original and 1976 & 2005 remakes, we already have 3 Kong movies essentially telling the same story.  At least this new one seems to be forgoing the usual beats of capturing Kong, hauling him to New York, and watching as he trashes the city, before falling from a skyscraper.

Could it end up simply being a Kong-and-monster throwdown and nothing more?  Maybe, but it still looks like a lot of fun, and more entertaining that the surprisingly odd & subdued GODZILLA remake from 2014.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2017 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Among the many things that made KONG '33 great is the tragedy of it. Kong was a rampaging, terrifying beast and had to be put down. But only because he was ripped from a world where he did relatively little harm (other than to a native girl from time to time).

And we came to root for him, kinda. Which makes us want to see more. But seeing more of a dead character is problematic.

Therefore, you get familial sequels like SON OF KONG, homages in spirit and effects like the first MIGHTY JOE YOUNG, re-interpretations like the Toho stuff and remakes such as '76 and '05. Again, with remakes...hitting the same beats, you don't have much sequel material (see KING KONG LIVES! as evidence).

With SKULL ISLAND, they needed a Kong that is going to eventually face the new Godzilla. So, there were two key things: He has to be bigger, and he has to survive the movie.

So, you won't get cracked over the head with the Beauty-and-the-Beast bit (though there seem to at least touch on it to some degree), but it seems they're keeping some crucial elements: giant gorilla-type animal* on remote island, kicks all kinds of other giant monster ass, hunted by humans.

*They've thankfully seemed to have kept him upright with a kind of a generic ape-ness, harkening back to the original (and to some degree, the '76 version). He's not a literal giant silverback gorilla.

So, using Woodcock's analogy, I'll be taking another run at the ball.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 10 March 2017 at 11:57am

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 March 2017 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Just watched it! Kicked all kinds of ass! Will watch again for sure!

David Lopez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2017 at 12:56am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Just got back from seeing this, and I enjoyed it. A lot. Though the lack of dinosaurs (apart from a Triceratops skull) was puzzling, in my mind the movie as a whole hearkened back to the Kong mythos that was featured in Toho's KING KONG ESCAPES - Kong as not merely an oversized silverback gorilla, but as a powerful monster - the '33 Kong on steroids. 

Hopefully, this will earn enough to justify a sequel of it's own, but until then...
I will be impatiently awaiting the Godzilla/Kong throw-down.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 March 2017 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Saw this last night. Wildly better than the last Kong big screen outing.

Definitely a different take on the legend. You get nods to all the classic stuff: the hidden island, the natives, the big wall, Kong as king/god of said island, a little beauty-and-beast stuff...

Kong looks great. Sure, he's bigger than we're used to (and "still growing"...so, he'll presumably have another 47 years worth by the time he meets Godzilla). He's a nice combo of the design of the stop-motion original mixed with the '76 suit, but CGI'd up. Straight up gorilla face with some human-level emoting (at times, it seems he's on the verge of speaking, just can't find the words). He walks upright, has stocky legs and forearms, looks very formidable. His fighting style is impressive, as well.

And while he is savage and deadly when provoked, they made him quite subdued at times. He doesn't fall in love with Brie Larson (though, who could blame him if he did?), but there is a clear fascination established. He can distinguish between friend and enemy, those who aim to help him, those who aim to harm.

That kinda bugged me. Seems to be a trend in movies, this "noble giant beast" thing. They did it in GODZILLA, to some extent - which I kinda get. These are ostensibly the world's protectors in this new shared universe. But we saw it in JURASSIC WORLD, too. Can't big scary monsters just be...big scary monsters?

Kong is basically the classic savage Hulk: an immensely powerful, nearly unstoppable fighter. But when the fighting stops, he likes quiet, furry animals, cute girls, and pretty lights in the sky. At least he didn't go ass skating in this one.

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 11 March 2017 at 2:18pm

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 11 March 2017 at 3:31pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Since the film opened yesterday, be warned...there be SPOILERS ahead.  Read at your own risk!

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version