Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Wars
Byrne Robotics > Star Wars << Prev Page of 15 Next >>
Topic: Rogue One - SPOILERS begin on Pg 7 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2016 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

That shot of them shooting up at the AT-AT was awesome!
----------------------------------------------------

But why did its 'head' flinch? They're not alive...

And Forest Whittaker looks like he's doing a Morgan Freeman impression.

Beyond that, I'm sold.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2016 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I didn't think it flinched. I thought the force of the blast made the head move. I'll have to watch it again.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2016 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Definitely no flinch. The head didn't move until the explosion upon it. 

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2016 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Greg>>Yeah, but it's not like STAR WARS made use of the specific characters, music, tropes, etc. from, say, FLASH GORDON in order to lure people in. It was its own thing--a synthesis of/homage to a lot of different sources that proved greater than the sum of its parts.<<

Of course, but Star Wars was also (at the time) not a sequel.  Certainly it's both fair and expected for a sequel to have a high level of consistency with other installments in the furtherance of an over-all story?

The expansion of the story is entirely due to George, and frankly Disney is tying up the thematic package that he left flopping about at the end of Jedi.  Yes, that was mostly retroactive themes introduced by the prequels, but still...

If TFA had been made *not* thematically part of the previous six, it couldn't really be a sequel any more than Rogue One is, or the upcoming Han Solo movie.
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2016 at 5:11pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It looks fine... but then, a lot of fan films don't look that much worse, these days!

Jaren Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2016 at 11:29pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

^ Hahahaha

Trailer looks fine. I don't really know what to expect, but it could be a nice distraction for a few hours.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2016 at 11:37pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

New International version of the trailer.  A little different, with some new info:

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2016 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Apparently the U-wing slides it's long split-delta kinard vanes/forked things backwards to become wings that mount on the engines and trail behind them. 

And the forwards position is to facilitate hanger/carrier storage then? Or to reduce forward profile? The wings spread out only in atmosphere?

Not sure what this is other than a toy-gimmick. 

Looks pretty much like something purpose-built from parts of old damaged Y-wings.

Edited by Emery Calame on 05 September 2016 at 11:37am
Back to Top profile | search | email

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 September 2016 at 4:53am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

It looks like the cockpit of a Y-Wing grafted onto 4 X-Wing engines.

In the trailer it's a troop carrier with a 2 person cockpit, but the toy makes it look like a one-man fighter.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2016 at 10:55pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Michael Giacchino takes over as composer from Alexandre Desplat, apparently because of the reshoots:

Hollywood Reporter

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2016 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Now THAT has me excited!

David Spurlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2016 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

New trailer out today and I can't really explain why, but I'm getting more of a Star Wars vibe from this than I did for any of the TFA trailers.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2016 at 6:55am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC9abcLLQpI

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2016 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Because it's gonna be AWESOME, David. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2016 at 5:01pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Still, no real hook for me. I can't convince myself that this is a story that NEEDS to be told. Next year, I anticipate an Honest Trailer where they re-label the film "ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS EXCUSE TO PRINT MONEY."

If I didn't have a 6-year old son, I might be more inclined to wait for a rental, but oh well. We'll see it... hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2016 at 9:38pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Meh. Not terrible, not totally awesome.

At least they look to be trying something new, in terms of the look and feel. But, we again have plenty of nostalgia-milking. And another prequel. And Superboy Syndrome, in terms of the Death Star, Vader, etc. And it seems to give off that same sort of fanfilm-y vibe as TFA. 

We'll see. It would be nice to be pleasantly surprised. At least they can't screw up established characters this time, right? Right...?

Jaren Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2016 at 10:23pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Rogue One is a prequel! Haha

I really don't see the point of a movie detailing the plan to steal the Death Star plans. The Empire/First Order has lost 3 planet killers in a row and all because they have implausible weaknesses. The Death Stars from ROTJ and TFA didn't require an Ocean's 11 gambit to steal the schematics, and the Rebels successfully destroyed them anyway.

Nostalgia seems to be the hook for this film, just like TFA. Oh well, hopefully the adventure is a fun ride at least. And not a retread of other movies plot points and callbacks.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2016 at 12:03am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Really, Death Star II did require a plan to steal the plans. 'Many Bothans died to bring this information'

There are so many plot gaps in TFA that we have no clue as to how they got the plans there

Jaren Cole
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2016 at 1:33am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

^ Ah! I forgot about the Bothans. Even then, they only relayed the location of it's construction and that somehow the Emperor was going to be on board it at the time. But later, it seems the leak of information was a plant by the Emperor. With how he reveals to Luke how he knew of the Rebel's attack and that the weapons systems are working. Plus the Emperor had the foresight to hide the fleet in a nearby, so it would be undetected.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 October 2016 at 11:15pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Did anyone else wince a little at the edit in the trailer where Jyn says "rebellions are built on hope," then they cut to everyone nodding, like "Oh, yeah...  Hope!  She's right!"

I realize that like most trailers, the context of those scenes has likely been shuffled extensively to deliver the narrative of a trailer, but still.  In an era of slick trailers, that edit was a little clumsy.

If that's actually in the movie, I fear I will have one of those uncomfortable moments when you realize you are the only person in a crowded room who is laughing.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2016 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Maybe not an eye-roller, but yeah, that looked a little clumsy, Conrad.

For me, I guess the best word I can think of to describe the trailers has been "tiresome."

I was thinking any first spin-off would have a stronger identity of its own, but aside from some new locales, I think the ROGUE ONE ads just seem to be giving us less of a distinct spin-off feel, and more of an EPISODE 3.5 aura... which may be good or bad, depending on your own STAR WARS feelings.

Many fans will eat it up, but I wasn't expecting so many callbacks to Vader, Stormtroopers, the Death Star, X-Wings, TIE fighters... I even saw a Death Star Droid in there!

(I will give it this much credit though: At least we're not seeing wall-to-wall lightsaber battles, for once... even as a STAR WARS fan myself, I can safely say those have been done to death at this point.)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2016 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

So, in what had been billed as a war movie set in the Star Wars universe, you don't want to see Stormtroopers, Tie Fighters or X-Wing fighters? 

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2016 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Did anyone else wince a little at the edit in the trailer where Jyn says "rebellions are built on hope," then they cut to everyone nodding, like "Oh, yeah... Hope! She's right!"

That was a clumsy edit, because I think that actually is everyone's reaction to her saying "May the Force be with us" from the Celebration Reel (especially the Donnie Wen character's emotional response).

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2016 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Brian, I understand that if the intent was to make the first spinoff a "war movie," then yes, Rebels vs. the Empire makes sense... but for me, it's just starting to get old. Between the original trilogy and TFA, we can only see it so many different ways, and I don't necessarily want to see another Jedi vs. Sith arc, either.

I guess I was expecting something a little different when it was first announced, and we didn't have any real story details to go on. In a way, even though I'm not big on the idea of a HAN SOLO Prequel film, I hope that one's a bit more rollicking, fun & loose, and doesn't rely on any Empire/Rebels or Sith/Jedi plot points.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 October 2016 at 11:51am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

If those conflicts are getting old with you, you should probably just step away from Star Wars at this point. 

<< Prev Page of 15 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version