Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: Praise for John Romita Jr. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2016 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 1  

Did anyone catch JRJR on Comic Book Men last week doing a sketch for the guys at the store?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Philippe Cordier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2016 at 1:16pm | IP Logged | 2  

yes
He did this pencil piece
Back to Top profile | search

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2016 at 9:52pm | IP Logged | 3  

<<At some point it became fashionable among the dimmer of the dim bulbs in fandom to declare how much they "hate" JR's work. Serving only to demonstrate what utter clods they are.>>

I must be the dimmest of the utter clod dim bulb out there.

Although my all-time favorite artists are Neal Adams, John Byrne and George Perez.

I have utterly failed to have an appreciation of John Romita, Jr.'s work.  The guy is a really nice guy.  But the only time I enjoy his work is when the inker (as JB put it) obliterates JRJr's work.  I actually dropped Uncanny X-Men because JRJr was put on it and I felt SO let down after the magnificence of Cockrum, Byrne and Smith.  

I actually refuse to buy any comic by JRJr because it disturbs me how much his work bothers me.  I don't mean to be mean.  I just don't get it.  The only other artist I can compare it to is Liefeld.  I cannot buy his work either.  It just looks wrong.  And I just cannot fathom why industry greats think highly of him.

I know I am in the minority here.  I wish I could appreciate his work.  It just doesn't ring with me.

I love almost all the other artists that others have mocked or scorned (Kirby, Infantino, etc.).

Maybe I'm lacking a certain gene.
Maybe I'm just a dim utter clod dim bulb.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 March 2016 at 10:47pm | IP Logged | 4  

You seem to be enjoying your martyrdom so much I almost -- almost -- "hate" to take it away from you, but it's time to put that red sweater back in the closet.

You express a dislike for JR's work. A strong and even irrational dislike (Liefeld? Really?) but you draw up short of saying you HATE it. Unless you mean that and are merely expressing it poorly (Liefeld? REALLY??) you don't get to wrap yourself snugly in the hair shirt I prescribe for the idiots who can only express themselves in extremes.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 16 March 2016 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 5  

I think JR Jr. is amazing. It was great to finally read the IRON MAN books he and JB did. I got them a few years ago and they are fantastic.

Philippe Cordier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2016 at 2:41am | IP Logged | 6  

I can understand someone not liking every pages ever done by JR,
But to dislike everything!!!?
His style changed with the passing years. No one can hate his Spider-man and his DD and his X-Men and Iron-Man, and...
A lot of so called "fans" dislike the work he's doing now. ok. I guess it's a matter of taste. There are some comics he did that I don't like that much (Kick Ass being one) but his storytelling skills are as sharp as ever
Take a look at his recent Superman work; he's always been as good (if not even better) at the mundane/quiet scenes as he's been at the powerful pages

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2016 at 3:17am | IP Logged | 7  

When I first discovered JRJR it was on the X-Men. An issue with Nimrod in it. I hated the artwork and I didn't give him another look until years later. It was JRSR who suggested I look at his son's work. So when I gave it another look this time it was on Spider-Man. JRJR had improved as an artist and my taste had changed. I became a fan. I've liked everything of his I've seen. Up until I saw his Superman stuff. JRJR isn't a right fit for Superman IMO.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2016 at 5:49am | IP Logged | 8  

You lost me with the Liefeld comparison. A google search of "John Romita Jr swipes" does not return much. However, a search of "Rob Liefeld swipes" returns quite a few. So there is no direct comparison on their abilities to layout a page. I'll give the advantage to JR Jr for demonstrating originality in layout and story telling.

Published anatomy mistakes are also weighted heavily to Mr. Liefeld's. Perhaps JR Jr has just as many difficulties with anatomy that Rob has, but JR must throw them away instead of allowing them to be published. Speculation aside, I'm going to give JR Jr the advantage on draftsmanship and anatomy.

We could go on with body of work, longevity in the business, evolution in style, but I think we are beating a dead horse when trying to directly compare these two artists. They are worlds apart.

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 17 March 2016 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 9  

I get that a certain artist isn't your cup of tea. I even understand that
JRJr may not be your cup of tea. But I don't get why you would gleefully
embrace your dislike of said artist on a thread that is meant to show
appreciation for the artist. I find that to be bad form.

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2016 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 10  

I run the opposite to the way fandom frequently goes when it comes to
my JRJR fandom. I mean that in this way - using JB as an example,
fans will oftimes claim "his old stuff was better" as they cling to the
nostalgia of when they first encountered a particular artist. With JRJR I
find myself enjoying him more and more as the years go by. I didn't
care at all (and still don't) for his X-Men run (my first encounter with his
art) for instance, but I've enjoyed his projects following the X-Men more
and more.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 March 2016 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 11  

I was watching a YouTube video last night that compared "Days of Future Past," the comicbooks to the recent movie. Lots and lots of Byrne/Austin art on display.

Next person who says my old stuff was better will be drop kicked into the closest live volcano!!

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2016 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 12  

That drawing of the guy with the cape punching Grape Ape is amazing… but I
don't think anyone can make me see that character as the Man of Steel.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version