Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Q For Mr. Byrne: Any Good Examples Of De-Uniquing (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2016 at 5:31am | IP Logged | 1  

For anyone new to this forum who may not have read the FAQ yet, this is what I am referring to:

Mr Byrne, are there any examples of de-uniquing that you enjoyed or approve of?

Thanks in advance.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 March 2016 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 2  

When I was a child, I loved all the variants of Superman and Batman. Supergirl, Batgirl, Krypto, Ace, you name it. I was just the right audience.

It was as I grew older that I began to see how this almost reflexive habit of "creating" more and more characters with the same powers slowly diluted the original.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2016 at 6:25am | IP Logged | 3  

Thank you for your answer.

I guess I was the same. As a kid, and someone who loved animals, it was cool. I remember desiring animal spin-offs for the likes of Spider-Man, but it does dilute the originals.

I visited my comic store recently (I rarely go there) and in addition to mainstream Spider-Man, there was Miles Morales, Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen and Silk.

Jess Sowerby
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2016 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 4  

Note to self Robbie. Visit comic book store a lot less,and what robbie doesn't know,doesn't exasperate him ;)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2016 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 5  

Most characters that are very popular experience some form of this, it seems. Superman and Batman early on, but Spider-Man, Captain America, Hulk, Captain Marvel (DC's version) and many more have had offshoot characters with identical or almost-identical powers. And that isn't even getting into villains who share that same power set (except usually bigger and badder).

As JB notes, it starts off being kind of fun but after a while...

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2016 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 6  

Multiple Green Lanterns on Earth makes no sense to me.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2016 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 7  

I tap into my inner child when I need it to make sense and have some fun.  My inner child is quite wise.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2016 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 8  

Note to self Robbie. Visit comic book store a lot less,and what robbie doesn't know,doesn't exasperate him ;)

I'll try and remember that, Jess. ;)

It seems villains, for the most part, have avoided de-uniquing. Not all, of course, but quite a few. I know there were multiple Green Goblins and then you had Hobgoblin. I know there was a female Dr. Octopus at one point. That said, there are some supervillains who are still unique.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2016 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 9  

Wallace Sellars:
Multiple Green Lanterns on Earth makes no sense to me.

The Green Lantern Corps itself is the most 'deuniqued' thing DC ever came up with. I think that's why I liked Alan Scott better, in the Earth-2 days. There really was nobody like him, and there was no 'Legion of Green Superheroes' on his world to worry about.
Abin Sur 'passing the torch' to Hal is still a great origin, but if Abin had been the only GL at that point, it would have made even more of an impact. 
'What If...' being a GL was like possessing the Captain Universe power...only one customer at a time?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 March 2016 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 10  

When I "met" Green Lantern, the Corp was implied, by the presence of Abin Sur, but it was yet to become an overwhelming presence.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2016 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 11  

It seems to me that the writing style of DC in the 50's and 60's suited the concept of a family of, say, Superman characters much better than what came later.

Marvel's/Stan Lee's writing style is almost like an opposite approach. I'm not sure how to put it accurately, but the "realism" of Marvel's comics partly came from the strong sense that there couldn't be that kind of "family" around each character at Marvel.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2016 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 12  

Marvel's/Stan Lee's writing style is almost like an opposite approach. I'm not sure how to put it accurately, but the "realism" of Marvel's comics partly came from the strong sense that there couldn't be that kind of "family" around each character at Marvel.

That's an interesting point, Mark. 

Plus, although I accept coincidences and the like in comics (i.e. robbers robbing a bank on the day Clark Kent or Bruce Wayne deposit their cheques), sometimes, even within fiction, it may go too far. I mean, I recently learnt - within the last few days - that someone else was bitten by THAT radioactive spider (who I thought had died after biting Parker).

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version