Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Should the tail wag the dog? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2016 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 1  

The movies don't seem to create that many comic readers do they?

So I don't see where keeping them totally consistent with each other is that important.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2016 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 2  

A good recipe for finally killing the comics. The mainstream movie audience couldn't care less about what goes on in the comics. Either you already enjoy reading comic books or you don't.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2016 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 3  

It's ridiculous. Past history is that movies do not increase readership. Pandering to these non-readers isn't going to help.

The real answer is one that nobody has thought of yet, but it isn't making comics reflect movie and TV versions of those characters.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2016 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 4  

No, the tail should not wag the Great Dane (sorry, it's my favourite breed).

I was pissed off years ago when Sandman didn't appear in the 90s Spider-Man cartoon. I later learnt that the movie (which wasn't even made when the cartoon was on air) wanted Sandman. So, using Marvel 'logic', a cartoon which would have had NOTHING to do with the film wasn't allowed to use my third favourite Spider-Man villain. What a mess. Sandman didn't get a live-action incarnation until 2007, years after the cartoon ended. So, in retrospect, the cartoon could have used him, given the film was in "movie limbo" during the lifetime of the cartoon.

I've read other things.

Can't we just have separate continuities, i.e. the way the Bond novels and the Bond films follow their own timelines with no interference from the other? Inspiration, yes (maybe), but tails wagging the dog? No!

Oh, and as for crossover appeal, well I suppose there's some, but I know my stepfather watches ARROW and THE FLASH, but he tells me he's never read a superhero comic in his life. I doubt he's going to start now. Let the separate incarnations exist on their own merits/terms.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 March 2016 at 2:00pm | IP Logged | 5  

Marvel has the same problem as PLAYBOY -- the trend setter has become the fad follower.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2016 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 6  

Don't know if this pertains to your words, Mr Byrne, but I recall a time, maybe 11-13 years ago, where a lot of villains, i.e. Red Skull and others, seemed to be wearing black leather jackets. At the time, I thought, 'Are leather jackets back in fashion again?'

I'd prefer unique costumes. Lizard's lab coat, Skull's boiler suit, Crazy Quilt's colourful costume, etc. Not leather jackets.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 03 March 2016 at 2:45pm | IP Logged | 7  

The black leather was "realism." I think the nadir was Arnim Zola in a trench coat!!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2016 at 2:52pm | IP Logged | 8  

Oh god!

I don't want "realism" as far as attire goes. I can see leather jackets by walking down the street (I used to own one, too). I want colourful boiler suits, primary colours and the like.

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2016 at 3:29pm | IP Logged | 9  

"I couldn't be bothered to read the whole thing..."
I'm not picking on anyone here; I see this statement often on another forum I frequent. My response is "Then why should we be bothered to read what you have to say?"

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2016 at 4:16pm | IP Logged | 10  

Because brevity is the soul of wit, my friend.

Michael Murphy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2016 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 11  

I read so little from the Big 2 any more that I have no emotional investment in them any longer. I do watch most of the TV and movie stuff they put out and enjoy a lot of it; I accept that they are different takes on the characters than what I expect from a comic. Because I am so far removed from the comics any more I doubt I would notice if the comics became like the live action characters. Heck, I have a hard time imagining that I would care if the Big 2 stopped publishing comics altogether and just focused on TV and movies.

Jess Sowerby
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2016 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 12  

In response to Tim,when i tend to ramble on as i did in my second post i have no problems with you guys just scanning it lightly and not reading everything lol. I've not seen many of the superhero tv shows that i've liked. Neither arrow or gotham ever got past 1 episode for me,and i liked flash more but haven't continued.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version