Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum
Topic: Fresh Encounters Rather Than Reboots (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2016 at 6:11am | IP Logged | 1  

As I've stated previously, whenever DC or Marvel announce their umpteenth reboot, I think to myself, 'Instead of another reboot, why not give us fresh encounters that may not have happened before.'?

In decades of comics, every conceivable encounter has been done. Some battles, i.e. Spider-Man VS Dr. Octopus, have happened countless times. There's been plenty of cross-pollination, i.e. Iron Man VS Rhino and Superman VS Joker. 

However, surely there are encounters that have not been done previously? And which would surely be preferable to yet another origin tale/Year One/reboot?

Here's some I'd like to see. I can't state they've never taken place, but I'm not familiar that they have:

Fantastic Four VS Juggernaut
Superman VS Riddler
X-Men VS Dr. Octopus
Spider-Man VS Mandarin
Dormammu VS Nightmare
Juggernaut VS Destroyer
Hulk VS Lizard

Those are a few I'd like to see. To the best of my knowledge, they haven't been done. I'd like to see Juggernaut against Reed's brain, Sue's force-field, Johnny's flames and Thing's strength; I'd like to see brains vs brawn between Superman and Riddler; X-Men VS Octopus would be fun; Spider-Man VS Mandarin would be something different; I'm curious about Dormammu's powers against Nightmare's realm; and I'm curious whether Juggernaut can give Destroyer some slight offence.

Why can't we have more editors/writers exploring the unknown instead of doing more reboots/navel-gazing? I know the above scenarios are my own ideas (and others may not find them as intriguing) but surely they are preferable? 

If approached by an editor/publisher, and he offered you a choice between another CRISIS event/reboot or Teen Titans VS Professor Zoom, wouldn't you opt for the latter? If a Marvel editor told you of an upcoming issue featuring Juggernaut VS Destroyer, and an upcoming reboot/Year One origin tale, which would you find more intriguing? 

Despite the decades of tales, I am sure there must be some battles/scenarios that have not yet taken place. I don't recall X-Men ever taking on Octopus or Dormammu invading Nightmare's realm. I'm not saying I have all the answers. Nor am I saying I could do the job better than current publishers/editors, but I'd like something fresh.

I *love* superheroes. As do you all (why else would we read them?). I'd relish the prospect of seeing Juggernaut test Destroyer's capabilities or seeing just how Nightmare would handle Dormammu's magical abilities. I'd like to see Riddler test Clark Kent's journalistic brain. I'm enjoy seeing Octopus' tentacles deflect the X-Men's abilities (i.e. Cyclops' beams). Wouldn't some new and exciting encounters be better than the same. old reboots/renumbering/navel-gazing?

Back to Top profile | search

Jess Sowerby
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2016 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 2  

If there was a rationale behind such a battle it might interest me more.That's what i liked about 'Acts Of Vengeance' and to see that sort of thing done 25+ years later would not bring me back to monthly comics in a great hurry. So if i had a choice between another crisis reboot or a teen titans vs professor zoom tale or the other combination you mentioned,i'd opt for neither. I'm not a kid anymore,i wanna read something that's fun and that's gonna take me on a ride i don't wanna get off of until it's over,and i'm not finding that.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2016 at 6:47am | IP Logged | 3  

Rationale can be good, but sometimes, in my view, there doesn't need to be an earth-shattering reason. Having Cap passing by a Vulture bank robbery whilst on his motorcycle is good enough for me. 

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2016 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 4  

Okay, I'm going to take one villain from each of the big guns and shift him/her over to another big gun (mostly).  Here goes--

Captain America vs. the Jester
Daredevil vs. Madame Masque
Iron Man vs. Mysterio
Spider-Man vs. Dr. Faustus
The Hulk vs. Dragon Man
Fantastic Four vs. the Squadron Sinister
The Avengers vs. Dormammu
Dr. Strange vs. the Enchantress
Thor vs. Juggernaut
The X-Men vs. Tyrannus. 

Aquaman vs. Starro
Justice League of America vs. Ocean Master
Green Arrow vs. Deadshot
The Batman vs. Heatwave
The Flash vs. Chronos
The Atom vs. Shadow Thief
Hawkman vs. Silver Swan
Wonder Woman vs. Trigon
The New Teen Titans vs. Bizarro
Superman vs. Mordru
The Legion of Super-Heroes vs. Mr. Mxyzptlk

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2016 at 5:39pm | IP Logged | 5  

Some good ones there. This is the sort of thing I was thinking of. Why not encounters like these rather than another reboot?

X-Men VS Tyrannus is certainly loaded with flavour, Eric! :)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version