Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 8
Topic: New TV Series Gets Showrunner Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2017 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Fuller's release was purportedly based on his desire, rejected by studio execs, to delay the project.  Now that the launch has been delayed basically a year, that departure seems particularly ill-conceived since this was Fuller's vision yet he won't be involved.  Sometimes troubled productions result in great final product (JAWS anyone?) but at present, I see no reason to hold out much hope.

Edited by Rick Senger on 03 March 2017 at 11:58am
Back to Top profile | search | email

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2017 at 2:40am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Hmmm.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2017 at 5:55am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

grrrrrrr
Back to Top profile | search

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2017 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

As I discussed with someone else, I think there are "to many cooks in the kitchen"

I have the feeling that this Star Trek series did not so much start with a premise for a show, but rather than that the studios wanted to depict subjects that are currently in the news or in the minds of the public, and wanted producers and writers to craft a Star Trek show around it.

This is probably going to turn out to be a very disjoined project, with the show trying to accomplish so many goals that there is no clear direction for it to go.

As someone else pointed out here I think, once that fails to entice the public the series will go back to more "regular" Star Trek style episodes. You know, the filler types we saw on TNG, DSN, VGR, and ENT.

Edited by Marten van Wier on 05 March 2017 at 11:29am

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2017 at 3:12am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I do wonder what sort of Star Trek Netflix would make if they were in charge. While they do make changes, the product they produce that I have watched has been top notch.

They seem to understand an audience/fanbase and I think it would be far better if they just produced the thing and CBS took a back seat

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2017 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

If that YouTube link is more than just rumors, then it's oddly heartening that the likes of "The Big Bang Theory" and TREK licensees are taking up the cause of honoring TOS, and helping to stick a big 'ol fork in this J.J. Abrams/Kelvin universe nonsense!

And Star Trek: Discovery sounds like it could end up as Star Trek: Phase II - Part 2... another new "lost" TREK show, perhaps?

Edited by Shaun Barry on 06 March 2017 at 3:14pm

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2017 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

If those rumors are true. I hope that it does end up a "lost" episode.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2017 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

To add:  That supposed Mark Lenard/Sarek bit would be anal-retentive, dunderheaded fanwankery of truly epic, biblical proportions... I mean, holy shit...

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2017 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

If that kind of plotline (intersecting parallel realities with one cast member as different aliens) is what they are using as a hook for this series then I hope they put it (and Star Trek) out of it's misery now.  With fire!

Makes the Temporal Cold War plot of Enterprise seem like a grand idea...

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 06 March 2017 at 4:26pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2017 at 5:49pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Well, if that idiot idea is correct, Marc Alaimo is probably waiting by his phone, expecting to be a big, big part of this new show...

You can almost see it being the sort of wackadoodle concept non-fans might think fans would go for. Nothing I can think of so far in fandom anywhere is as far up its own butt as the notion of transdimensional beings living lives in multiple alien forms thereby "explaining" the same actor in multiple roles. In further news, the fans JB once overheard speculating that Sarek was a Romulan agent... would now be right, more or less.

Even the Doctor "wearing" the faces of people he's met in his travels to "remind" his new incarnation of something he shouldn't forget* isn't quite this off-the-(you should pardon the expression) Mark.

* What was Commander Maxil supposed to remind the Sixth Doctor of, I wonder?

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2017 at 1:38am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

If that kind of plotline (intersecting parallel realities with one cast member as different aliens) is what they are using as a hook for this series then I hope they put it (and Star Trek) out of it's misery now.  With fire!

I read this yesterday on the forum but did not respond on it as I had no idea what to honestly say about.
But even within the context of Star Trek this is bad fan fiction level quality of writing, something a fan would do who really seeks to connect everything even when it is not necessary.

Also, what is the damn point?
I though Discovery was suppose to be a bit more "grounded", science fiction or at least a story in space but more the focus on the elements that don't really on the more fantastical.

Even the Doctor "wearing" the faces of people he's met in his travels to "remind" his new incarnation of something he shouldn't forget* isn't quite this off-the-(you should pardon the expression) Mark.

Honestly? This is what was said in Doctor Who to explain why an actor who played a different role on the show before he was cast as the Doctor has the same face?

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2017 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

<MVW> Honestly? This is what was said in Doctor Who to explain why an actor who played a different role on the show before he was cast as the Doctor has the same face?

Not on the classic show as such -- there's a couple of instances of TARDIS crew members coincidentally looking like another character (Nyssa in Black Orchid and the first Doctor looks remarkably like the Abbot in The Massacre) but those are more dramatic/literary devices used to add tension to the story.  The kind of misunderstanding hyjinks that drives the story in Twelfth Night.

However, they've broadly hinted in the new series that Peter Capaldi's Doctor took on that face for a specific reason, but they haven't elaborated beyond that.   Maybe we'll find out this season.  For a show like Doctor Who it's fine, if not entirely necessary IMO.

Back to Star Trek.  

I just can't wrap my brain around this kind of plotting when they seem to be spending so much money to convince us that two actors who don't look alike are the SAME character (eg. Quinto and Nimoy).   Now they want us to believe the reverse is true -- at the same time!

Next we'll be told that James R. Kirk is a completely different individual from James T. Kirk... 

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 07 March 2017 at 6:20am

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2017 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Actually, they did more-or-less flatly state that the reason Capaldi's Doctor wears the face of the one man he saved in Pompeii was to remind him to save somebody in the episode with little-boy-Davros.

Once you start going down the storytelling avenue of bifurcated identities and this-person-for-that you tumble into a rabbit hole ala' NuBSG. Seriously, this burning question in fan's minds since the first airing of "Journey to Babel" in1967 has pretty much gone out by now. No one is really dying to find out what the connection was between Sarek and the Romulan Commander. This is one case where the third point (the Klingon in ST:TMP) does not establish a line. Establishing a race of extra-dimensional whosises who go about playing multiple roles with the same faces to riddle fanboys is really playing to a section of the theatre that was never there to begin with.

However, more power to 'em if this means that Yeoman Mears and Hippie Chick No. 3 along with Smiling Crew Woman in Lounge and McCoy's Cabaret Girl No. 1 were both transcendent, ultra-powerful agents moving undetected amongst us all along...

And, by the way, of COURSE we know James R. Kirk and James T. Kirk are two different people! Their shirts don't match. :-)

Edited by Brian Hague on 07 March 2017 at 1:21pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 8
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version