Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2017 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Hmmm.

Back to Top profile | search | email

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2017 at 11:58pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

That was an interesting video and I really wonder if any of the mentioned facts are true.

First of all the idea that this might be another "reboot" of the franchise as is suggested (well it is already a re-imagining) designed to appeal to both Kelvin-verse fans but also to bring back the original fans.
It is perhaps understandable from a marketing point of view but if CBS has been paying attention they would notice that the while reboot trend that is going on has not been working out so well in general.

I also think it would only damage the trust of the audience, especially if this fails and CBS over a couple of years decides to do yet another reboot in order to "revitalize" it.
A lot of people like the continuity in the franchise, why else would so many comics and books sell that continue on episodes and movies.
To throw that out of the window every time producers and writers claim that it restrains their creativity speaks more of their talents than of the franchise's lore and state.

I also think that it continues to "cheapen" the franchise.
Of course Star Trek from the beginning was made to earn Roddenberry and his people a paycheck but the franchise has become so much more to so many people.
But I feel that all these reboots are distilling the franchise more into a product line like Disney has done with the Star Wars franchise.
The whole "It is called Star Trek so we should support it" mentality that some people have is ridiculous, as fans we are still allowed to be critical.

As for the project have serious production problems, I think we have already been suspecting that for a long time and it will be interesting to read records and journals of the development process if they one day get released.
I would not be surprised though to find out that problems are mostly caused by the people higher up in CBS who think Discovery should represent certain goals that marketing has told them are now currently "in the minds of the general public" rather than trying to make a good Star Trek series.

Having Bad Robot be involved in this again, after Abrams tried to make his company the master of the franchise and its future development I would have thought CBS would have tried to keep them as much as possible out of the picture.
It is not as if all their Star Trek products have been lightning strikes. The first movie was received well but the second and the third have been mostly disappointments.

The franchise is suffering from very bad management who don't want to accept the fact that they themselves are the problem.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2017 at 1:31am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Re-boot, he-boot, a' we-boot
I- boot, you-boot, a' they-boot
Be-boot, Be-boot a' lu-boot
I hope they will understand...
Re-boot, he-boot, a' we-boot
I- boot, you-boot, a' they-boot
Be-boot, Be-boot a' lu! Re-boot!
Oo, Oo, Re-do, Re-boot, Re-boot!

Everyone sing it with me! Once more! Once more again! Let's hear it one more time now! Again! Over... and over... and over... and over...

Back to Top profile | search | email

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2017 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The premiere date has been announced September 24th 8:30 pm est The time is approximate. Because it is following NFL football and 60 minutes.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2017 at 3:52am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

A look at the modified design of the USS Discovery (at least on a poster)

http://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-our-best-look-at-star-trek-disc overys-new-ship-1796995099

I don't believe it, they actually have managed to make the design we saw in the 2016 trailer look better!

What is the deal with the separation in the saucer section? What kind of design purpose would this have?

I even prefer the old warp nacelles over the ones shown here.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2017 at 4:44am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I like the saucer design and that's it but it doesn't matter anymore. I've seen nothing that makes me want to see the show. In fact all it's done is push me further away from it. I was going to watch the first episode and than decide. Now I'm not even sure I'll do that.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 11
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version