Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2017 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Growing roses, I'm sure.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 17 April 2017 at 10:56pm
Back to Top profile | search | email

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2017 at 9:26pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

If and when Discovery makes it to the airwaves. I'll watch the first episode. I don't expect to follow it after that. I mean the first episode has to be a home run and the ship needs to be better looking than what we've seen so far. If those two things happen I might continue watching it.
Back to Top profile | search

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

First full trailer released.  I don't see how this can be in any continuity other than JJ Trek....

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

First let me say that visually it's impressive. But that isn't the proper look for a pre Kirk era. Even by NuTrek standards. If this weren't Star Trek I would be excited by what I saw. And lastly  WTH have they done to the Klingons??  

I will watch the pilot on tv. But there is no way in hell am I going to pay CBS to watch the rest of the series. 

I'm really beginning to think that it's time to accept that the Star Trek that I was a fan of is over and done with.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 4:09pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It almost looks as if every new Trek that comes along will be getting its own timeline from here on in. 

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 5:22pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

First of all, quite a challenge to actually find a place where I could view the trailer and I could still only see part of it as a newsletter add was in the way that refused to close despite that I made it clear I am not interested in updates from that site (It was gamespot BTW)

Second, this is indeed a trailer for a NewTrek prequel and has less to do with the original timeline and its series.
Star Trek Enterprise still feels like more of a part of it than this series ever will.

And a species focused or whatever it was called on approaching death? So from the moment they are born they anticipate their own biological end?
Hmm how long would such a species fare if it were natural? Or if it were genetically engineered into them, what is beneficial about this ability?

Why do I have the feeling that this character during the show from time to time will say "I feel our death approaching"
Kirk will probably tell him "Drop the attitude mister, we are going to get out of this alive."

And the cherry on top: https://www.trektoday.com/content/2017/05/seth-macfarlanes-t he-orville/

If this show turns out to be more Trek like despite being made and headed by the guy who made Family Guy you know how far Star Trek has fallen.

Edited by Marten van Wier on 17 May 2017 at 5:31pm

Tim Cousar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 5:34pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

"Please install Adobe Flash Player to view."

No, thanks. 'Bye.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 5:41pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

First of all, quite a challenge to actually find a place where I could view the trailer and I could still only see part of it as a newsletter add was in the way that refused to close despite that I made it clear I am not interested in updates from that site (It was gamespot BTW)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The trailer is on youtube. It was the first place I checked.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Nope. No interest.

As far as I'm concerned, my love for any of the newer iterations of STAR TREK ends at FIRST CONTACT, and that's now over 20 years ago.

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Looks kinda...bad.  With Enterprise they teased a show that was completely different than what was delivered.  In this case it looks like they're teasing what they think fans want, I'm not quite sure which is worse.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 6:06pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

The trailer is on youtube. It was the first place I checked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dxe_ugmIVM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not available, or at least not in my country.

As far as I'm concerned, my love for any of the newer iterations of STAR TREK ends at FIRST CONTACT, and that's now over 20 years ago.

Parts of Deep Space Nine and Voyager were still decent for me, but what I liked about Star Trek Enterprise was as was discussed here pretty much fan fiction.

I think we are going to have to settle that Star Trek for some people will from now only live on in spin off media; comics, books, and video games.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Not available, or at least not in my country.

That stinks

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

My son dislikes that this is set before TOS. He wants Star Trek to move forward. He would like a series set around the same time as TNG if not a bit further down the line. If that were the case with Discovery. I would be as bothered by the look of the tech and the uniforms.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

As a total non-TREK fan, that looked pretty okay.  If it were on broadcast TV, I might watch; but there's zero chance of me paying for CBS All Access to watch this.

Funny to see some comments on other sites about this being "too PC" because of the diversity of the cast.  Really missed the point of STAR TREK didn't they?
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Watched it twice. Still don't like star ships in the atmosphere. The ship looks better than last year. There is clearly a budget. It does nothing for me. It's just a slick sci-fi show borrowing the Star Trek name. Time to move on I think. I would like this much better between TOS and the movies. But I'm not the target audience anyway. Maybe it will be Good enough that we can forgive all crap that is wrong.

Back to Season 6 of Voyager. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 7:50pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I don't know why they bothered making this a prequel to TOS if they
don't even come close to following the aesthetic of TOS. It looks fine as
a sequel to ENTERPRISE, I guess.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Nothing in that trailer seems to demand that the show be set "ten years before Kirk, Spock..." except the ongoing tension with the Klingons (if those are Klingons, and it wouldn't take much to restore that plot element ala' "Yesterday's Enterprise") and, of course, Sarek.... 

They seem to really, really, really want to hit the standard beats of Spock's childhood. We're even shown a Vulcan child being told he'll never learn to speak Vulcan because his tongue is too human in construction... which pretty much guarantees us a flashback-within-a-flashback since "ten years before Kirk & Spock" is still solidly within Spock's tenure with Pike.

Set the show one year after the last time we saw Picard and a lot of its storytelling problems disappear. If only they could let the fixation with Sarek and the toddler Spock go...

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 8:55pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I don't know why they bothered making this a prequel to TOS if they 
don't even come close to following the aesthetic of TOS. It looks fine as 
a sequel to ENTERPRISE, I guess.

I still don't understand if you are going to create an "in universe way" of rebooting something like they did in 09 why you would then go back and make things completely inconsistent with what happened before the timeline changed like completely changing the klingons or making Khan look like a pale british man. If you want to completely reboot something, then just say "we are rebooting it". It doesn't really matter. It's not like this is appeasing the original series fans. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 9:38pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sbLGQf9WIK4

...anyway, I'm not filled with confidence. This looks like Abrams on a TV budget. And, of course, we live in a reboot and remix culture, now. There was a time when TREK had some sense of canon. When creators were still willing to color inside the lines, and tried to acknowledge what had come before without totally reinventing and/or picking and choosing elements to keep like they were in a buffet line. This looks and feels like nothing we've ever seen, and the idea that it takes place in the same era as "The Cage" is laughable. If I knew nothing about the show, I'd never have guessed that it was set within the TOS timeframe. They're not even trying.

And those are just the visuals. What about the writing?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 9:43pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Nothing in that trailer seems to demand that the show be set "ten years before Kirk, Spock..." except the ongoing tension with the Klingons (if those are Klingons, and it wouldn't take much to restore that plot element ala' "Yesterday's Enterprise") and, of course, Sarek.... 

+++++++++

Saying that this comes before Spock and the Enterprise--when it ostensibly takes place after "The Cage"--is just stupid. That's on the same level as the GHOSTBUSTERS remake trailer which said "30 years ago, four scientists saved the world", when Winston was never a scientist.

Minor quibbles? Maybe. But such errors still make the people in charge look bad, especially when TREK fans have a reputation for being sticklers for detail.

But, then, the Abrams films, and now maybe DISCOVERY, have been pumped out by people who are apparently not well-versed in the source material, and look to be making a product for people of a similar mindset. STAR TREK for jocks, and for people who don't like STAR TREK.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 17 May 2017 at 9:44pm

Ron Goad
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 10:04pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

^ Pretty much sums it up - pointless show and a waste of acting talent.

JJDrek on a TV budget? - yep...

Excessive use of Lens Flare (tm)?- yep...

Claiming to be in the "original" timeline and bearing little resemblance to anything in the original timeline? - yep...

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Supposedly, Bryan Fuller wanted the show to look era-appropriate but was later over-ruled by execs who wanted to know why their superslick, up-to-the-moment special effects show didn't look superslick and up-to-the-moment. At that point, the show was told to go forward looking as if it were the most modern, up-to-date thing possible but retaining its bizarre, backwards-looking place in the timeline. 

There must really, really be something specific about that date "10 years before Kirk and Spock" that Fuller and the producers really wanted to roll around in and get the smell of on themselves...

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2017 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Can't see the trailer but can see photos.

Jumpsuits. Again with the jumpsuits.

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version