Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 81 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: DISCOVERY - New TV Series Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2016 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Here's a bit of an interview with Bryan Fuller.
Back to Top profile | search

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2016 at 1:15am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Bryan Fuller actually got his start writing for television as a member of the writing staff on Star Trek:DS9 and Voyager. Judging from some of the stuff I've read, during his tenure he was treated quite poorly by Brannon Braga and Rick Berman and his scripts were messed with quite a bit. So here's hoping he gets to write the Star Trek stories he wanted to do the first time without micromanagement from the nitwits that ran Star Trek into the ground.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2016 at 2:10am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Well at the time Berman did a pretty good job but I think the guy grew a bit to comfortable in his role and position.
Plus there were the higher ups who wanted yet another Star Trek series after Voyager which already suffered from declining ratings.

That does not excuse Enterprise or Nemesis of course but Berman wasn't some sole destructive force of Star Trek.

Braga, well he could in general only write well when partnered with someone else to keep his more ludicrous ideas in check. I don't think he should have been made a producer to begin with.

I am a bit worried that the new team wants to make the new series a lot more political and military oriented as a lot of the books have become such as the TNG, DSN, Voyager, and Enterprise books.
That is one of the reasons why I stopped reading as the focus shifted almost completely from exploration, adventure, and mysteries to political and military crises.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 June 2016 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Bryan Fuller actually got his start writing for television as a member of the writing staff on Star Trek:DS9 and Voyager. Judging from some of the stuff I've read, during his tenure he was treated quite poorly by Brannon Braga and Rick Berman and his scripts were messed with quite a bit. So here's hoping he gets to write the Star Trek stories he wanted to do the first time without micromanagement from the nitwits that ran Star Trek into the ground.

Unless you've read his original scripts, I'd say that falls very much under the heading of "be careful what you wish for!"

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 June 2016 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"Unless you've read his original scripts, I'd say that falls very much under the heading of 'be careful what you wish for!'"

Hahaha. A holodeck episode featuring villain Hannibal Lecter.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2016 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Before he did "Hannibal," Fuller did much more light-hearted fare such as Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies, and Dead Like Me. "Dead Like Me" was not upbeat and cheerful at all times, but there was an underlying sense of sentiment, humor, and humanity throughout, elements entirely missing from "Hannibal" where twisted, bizarre ugliness and a sense of utter futility against evil ruled. 

He nodded at his previous work by having Ellen Muth guest-star ("Am I alive?") and, of course, Gretchen Speck sauntered through ("Lost the hyphen, kept the ring") only to wind up thrown into a trunk and buried alive on a drip of drugs and saline so her living body could be used as a grotesque mushroom-harvesting community... so I guess that's kind of funny... As for the note the show hit in it's final season, I suppose one could find auto-cannibalism amusing, if one were of a certain bent...

I no longer trust Fuller to provide something worthwhile, and Kurtzman is, of course, a complete creative loss. This show doesn't seem very promising at this point. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 June 2016 at 8:57pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Oddly enough, WONDERFALLS and DEAD LIKE ME, which are both favorites of mine, are reasons I can't see Fuller in this role. It's like asking me to do SPAWN. The sensibilities do not align.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 June 2016 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I was a big fan of Dead Like Me and Hannibal, but he did write 22 or so, I believe, different episodes of Star Trek Voyager and Enterprise. Okay, not the two best Star Trek shows, probably the two worst, but this quote gave me a bit of hope about the upcoming series:

On 2 March 2009 Fuller told iF Magazine that he is pushing for a new Star Trek TV series based on "old style" Star Trek. In the interview he stated that "I told my agent and told the people of J.J. Abrams' team I want to create another Star Trekseries and have an idea that I'm kicking around. I would love to return to the spirit of the old series with the colors and attitude. I loved Voyager and Deep Space Nine, but they seem to have lost the '60s fun and I would love to take it back to its origin."

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 28 June 2016 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

On 2 March 2009 Fuller told iF Magazine that he is pushing for a new Star Trek TV series based on "old style" Star Trek. In the interview he stated that "I told my agent and told the people of J.J. Abrams' team I want to create another Star Trekseries and have an idea that I'm kicking around. I would love to return to the spirit of the old series with the colors and attitude. I loved Voyager and Deep Space Nine, but they seem to have lost the '60s fun and I would love to take it back to its origin."

When directors and producers and writers say things like this, it is always a big red flag for me. I go back to the first SWAMP THING movie, which everyone concerned declared would be absolutely faithful to the comics. Things do not seem to have improved much, since.

(It's also a big alarm bell when someone refers to the "fun" of some past project or era. Almost every time, "fun" turns out to be something in their minds utterly different from what it is in mine!)

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 1:22pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

New series is to be streamed on Netflix, along with all previous Star Trek TV series: LINK

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2016 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Just read the 'excluding the US and Canada' line... Great.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2016 at 5:44pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

First look at the USS Discovery:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqm9HSYbf0o

Cropped screencap:
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 81 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version