Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 81 Next >>
Topic: STAR TREK: DISCOVERY - New TV Series Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2017 at 1:02pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I really enjoyed the third episode. Especially the relative lack of Klingons.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2017 at 10:16pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

With the fourth episode it feels more like an ensemble, with Burnham not so heavily central and I'm finding it a very compelling series. It is frustrating how ill-fitting it is with the rest of Star Trek, but what is on the screen looks absolutely fantastic and is intriguing. A couple of aspects to admire are how a new alien species is taking a decent amount of time to comprehend and the lack of homogeneity among the behaviour of the Klingons. Having a variety of motivations and behaviours lends weight to the idea of a genuine, whole, complex species and culture. 
Back to Top profile | search

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t0wVyNC3CA

* * * * Spoilers * * * *

I can be wrong but I think the fellow prisoner Lorca meets is Harry Mudd, and yeah the writers/producers re-imagined him to be some gritty survivor. (At least I think it is the same actor who played the character who identified himself as Harry Mudd in the trailer)

Can you imagine Roger C Carmel's Harry Mudd being held by contemporary Klingons like Kor or Koloth.

Harry maybe sneaky but I don't think he would be ever "hardcore" enough to be willing to undergo torture by the Klingons.

How the **** is this the same character who was a silly con man in the Original Series? Trying to sell things like love potions and such.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Maybe Harry cracks at some point.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2017 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Would it make sense to keep this thread for discussing what has actually been broadcast and start another for speculation about what has not been broadcast? I know you wrote spoilers, but it didn't stop my eye crawling over what I thought would be a discussion of events in the most recent episode. Just a suggestion.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 12:01am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Finally caught the third episode. It was definitely an improvement over the first two but still grim and gritty with nary a laugh. So far the only character I really like at all is Saru, though the cadet bunking with Burnham seemed likable enough. Even the new captain is a dark shadowy figure. Yet more of the Burnham is brilliant and great at everything that really plagued Star Wars: The Force Awakens with Rey being great at everything, including things she'd never done before.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 12:30am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Yet more of the Burnham is brilliant and great at everything that really plagued Star Wars: The Force Awakens with Rey being great at everything, including things she'd never done before.
++++++

This is what I've friggin' been saying, man. Social-justice agenda-stuff is pretty much all over the entertainment industry, now, and at the expense of logical storytelling and good characterization. Rey's awesome because she just is. Burnham's a mutineer, but she's awesome enough that her career will go on in spite of it all.

Of all genre properties, STAR TREK--the trailblazing franchise which featured diverse ensemble casts working together as equals in an idealized and positive future--should be affected the least by this trend, but, no. 

From what I saw of the pilot, Burnham is a thoroughly unlikable f***up of a character...and yet everyone keeps saying how awesome she is. So...does Blackness and Womanness give one a free pass in Starfleet? Did affirmative action become a thing in Starfleet for awhile, in-between ENTERPRISE and TOS?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 1:27am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Episode 4.    Hmmm.

*The Klingon intrigue is interesting but they really need to drop the subtitles.   Not only are they on screen for too short a time (I had to rewind a few times) but the font is annoying to the eye.   Deliberate design choices for alien-ness are not necessarily the right ones for audience engagement.

*I'm not sure how to process the revelation of the Klingons eating Captain G's body.   Definitely a writer shock-value tactic, no matter how practical it appears from a resource standpoint or what religious connotations can be wrung from ritualistic cannibalism.   I think someone's been reading a little too much Heinlein.

*I'm sure it's no coincidence that two of the main characters are named after Archangels.  Additionally, a semi-androgynous human character named "Michael" who was raised in an alien environment is a little too obviously on-the-nose.   More Heinlein cribbing.

*Leaving your opponent alive on a derelict vessel instead of killing him outright is a fail worthy of the worst James Bond villains.  Yeah, that's *never* going to bite you in the ass later.

*You'd think Starfleet would send someone to salvage intact battle wrecks, if not for the resources then surely for data security reasons.
(yet *someone* thought to retrieve sentimental junk like the Captain's telescope?  huh?)

*For that matter, you'd think Binary Stars site where the whole goddamn war started would be full of Starfleet ships or at least cleared of Klingons.

*Why does the derelict Shenzhou even have any power or life support?  Why isn't access to the crew records and logs protected?

*The sensitive-alien-hooked-into-the-ship-as-navigator thing has already been done (better) by Sci-fi author Stephen Gallagher in a Doctor Who script. ('Warrior's Gate')

*While we are already ripping off Doctor Who authors this week, why not make it a two-fer and borrow some of Douglas Adams' ideas like the Infinite Improbability Drive while you're at it?

*Here we see tech that makes all of the secret-squirrel stuff Starfleet has developed over the next 100 years completely irrelevant.  That includes the transwarp technology used by Voyager and the phase-cloaking of the Pegasus.

*So holo-projectors can function as personal mirrors too?

*Michael doesn't officially exist and officially isn't part of the Discovery's crew so how did Starfleet's mail service even find her on a top secret ship on a top secret mission that no one is supposed to know about?  

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 10 October 2017 at 1:28am

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Social-justice agenda-stuff is pretty much all over the entertainment industry, now, 

Pro tip: Phrasing stuff like this never sounds good.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I wonder how much the choice of "Michael" is also due to it sounding like "Myco" AKA mushrooms/fungus?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Look at this:

Why would 45 watch it? It isn't a mirror. It doesn't praise him. Why would he watch it? 

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 October 2017 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The only thing I got out of that Screen Rant article was the word "Internert".

<< Prev Page of 81 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version