Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2017 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Hmmm.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 May 2017 at 11:58pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

That was an interesting video and I really wonder if any of the mentioned facts are true.

First of all the idea that this might be another "reboot" of the franchise as is suggested (well it is already a re-imagining) designed to appeal to both Kelvin-verse fans but also to bring back the original fans.
It is perhaps understandable from a marketing point of view but if CBS has been paying attention they would notice that the while reboot trend that is going on has not been working out so well in general.

I also think it would only damage the trust of the audience, especially if this fails and CBS over a couple of years decides to do yet another reboot in order to "revitalize" it.
A lot of people like the continuity in the franchise, why else would so many comics and books sell that continue on episodes and movies.
To throw that out of the window every time producers and writers claim that it restrains their creativity speaks more of their talents than of the franchise's lore and state.

I also think that it continues to "cheapen" the franchise.
Of course Star Trek from the beginning was made to earn Roddenberry and his people a paycheck but the franchise has become so much more to so many people.
But I feel that all these reboots are distilling the franchise more into a product line like Disney has done with the Star Wars franchise.
The whole "It is called Star Trek so we should support it" mentality that some people have is ridiculous, as fans we are still allowed to be critical.

As for the project have serious production problems, I think we have already been suspecting that for a long time and it will be interesting to read records and journals of the development process if they one day get released.
I would not be surprised though to find out that problems are mostly caused by the people higher up in CBS who think Discovery should represent certain goals that marketing has told them are now currently "in the minds of the general public" rather than trying to make a good Star Trek series.

Having Bad Robot be involved in this again, after Abrams tried to make his company the master of the franchise and its future development I would have thought CBS would have tried to keep them as much as possible out of the picture.
It is not as if all their Star Trek products have been lightning strikes. The first movie was received well but the second and the third have been mostly disappointments.

The franchise is suffering from very bad management who don't want to accept the fact that they themselves are the problem.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 May 2017 at 1:31am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Re-boot, he-boot, a' we-boot
I- boot, you-boot, a' they-boot
Be-boot, Be-boot a' lu-boot
I hope they will understand...
Re-boot, he-boot, a' we-boot
I- boot, you-boot, a' they-boot
Be-boot, Be-boot a' lu! Re-boot!
Oo, Oo, Re-do, Re-boot, Re-boot!

Everyone sing it with me! Once more! Once more again! Let's hear it one more time now! Again! Over... and over... and over... and over...

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2017 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The premiere date has been announced September 24th 8:30 pm est The time is approximate. Because it is following NFL football and 60 minutes.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2017 at 3:52am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

A look at the modified design of the USS Discovery (at least on a poster)

http://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-our-best-look-at-star-trek-disc overys-new-ship-1796995099

I don't believe it, they actually have managed to make the design we saw in the 2016 trailer look better!

What is the deal with the separation in the saucer section? What kind of design purpose would this have?

I even prefer the old warp nacelles over the ones shown here.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2017 at 4:44am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I like the saucer design and that's it but it doesn't matter anymore. I've seen nothing that makes me want to see the show. In fact all it's done is push me further away from it. I was going to watch the first episode and than decide. Now I'm not even sure I'll do that.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

SDCC Trailer is out now. Still looks like JJ's prequel at best. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

They used some good angles of the ship in that trailer. 

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

At SDCC the panel, it was revealed that series lead Michael Burnham (played by Sonequa Martin-Green) is the half-sister of Mr. Spock from Star Trek: The Original series.

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Oh, dear. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 9:53pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Smells like Abrams.

Marten van Wier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2017 at 11:56pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

What!!!!!
Half sister? Who came up with that crap? That is like pulling another Sybok.
Sarek went around sleeping with various women?

I am not going to say that Vulcans are prudes but being promiscuous? For a species to whom family matters a lot that seems way out of character, especially for a character like Sarek.

Edit: My mistake, the main character is the daughter of Amanda, but this is still pulling a Sybok. If Spock had a human sister he would mention her and I doubt his mother would hide that from him or Sarek.

Just smells like Abrams? I think it will taste like Abrams and be made up of little Abrams molecules.

Honestly, I still wonder why both Hollywood and the general public thinks that Abrams is a good director and a producer. All he goes for is visual appeal and convoluted plots that once they have lost their impact reveal that there is nothing of true intellect (not the pseudo intellect he fills his productions up with) or quality underneath.
This is one of the guys who worked on Armageddon.

If it had not been for his family connections he probably would never have been able to make a start in Hollywood when relying on his own skills.

Edited by Marten van Wier on 23 July 2017 at 12:13am

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2017 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

The article has been amended--looks like she's not a blood-relative at all. Just a human child taken in by Sarek and Amanda, which is what the early reports and such indicated. 

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2017 at 10:33pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I predict lukewarm-to-good ratings (I'm talking today's TV yardstick, so a couple million at best) for the premiere episode, made up of mostly people tuning in to check out what the fuss is all about.

This will be followed by a whiplash-inducing precipitious drop in ratings that will make ENTERPRISE seem like the best thing to ever happen to television.  A second season might squeek it's way in the door, if only because the bankrollers of this thing will want to avoid the dubious honour of being bested for total screen time by THE ANIMATED SERIES.

(ouch)

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2017 at 11:54pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

This will be followed by a whiplash-inducing precipitious drop in ratings that will make ENTERPRISE seem like the best thing to ever happen to television.  

----

Like most streaming networks, CBS All Access doesn't reveal viewership data. 

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2017 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

A prequel series comes with baggage, necessarily. It seems like the show's creators want to pile on even more baggage. For a casual viewer like me, this is going to be a bore to watch. 

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 24 July 2017 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

This show may be intended to REMOVE "baggage". Set at roughly the same time as Pike's Enterprise, it may be intended to fill the gap created by the Jar Jar 'verse.

More erasing of TOS.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2017 at 8:24pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Holy hell.  I don't know what I just watched.  It certainly wasn't any STAR TREK that I'm familiar with.

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2017 at 9:25pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

The new trailer is an absolute dumpster fire. I can't imagine anyone, least of all the new viewers CBS presumably wants to pull in, being motivated to watch Discovery by that exercise in explosions and gloom.

If the series serves up whole hour-long chunks of the same dismal stuff--and I've really seen nothing to suggest that it won't--it might achieve the impossible feat of making JJ-Trek look thoughtful and respectful by comparison. I mean, hell, at least Abrams got the uniform shirt colors right.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2017 at 9:43pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

It should be remembered that the rights to TREK are currently split up. CBS has the TV rights, and Paramount has the movie rights.

DISCOVERY is being produced by CBS. Which means that they can't actually do a TV series set in the Abramsverse. So, it looks like they're doing the next "best" thing--an Abrams-ish show, with lip-service paid to the oh-so-shaky notion that this is set in the "Prime" timeline of TOS and the other spin-off shows. 

There's been lots of lip-service paid. "This will respect canon!", they say. I guess "respect" means "rewrite and reboot everything". They're not even trying to play by the rules. As with Abrams, this is filling cracks in TOS that don't need to be filled, in order to tell the story they want to tell, while maintaining some brand-name recognition to lure the fans in. Their hands would be less tied if they just set this show a century after TNG, and made it the ACTUAL "next chapter". 

Remember, this series is set in-between the two TOS pilot episodes. But, it's completely and totally incongruous with those pilots on every single level. From the style to the ships to the uniforms to the tone. 

And, yeah, we've never seen or heard any mention of Spock's adopted sister, which means that she could theoretically have been there the whole time. I mean, just because she was never seen or mentioned on TOS doesn't mean she didn't exist, right?

Of course, we also never saw his insane uncle, Spook, who likes to dance naked around the Vulcan Science Academy while wearing the bloody pelt of I-Chaya, either. Does that mean we need to see him, too? Just because he's never been seen or mentioned doesn't mean he didn't exist, right?

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 24 July 2017 at 9:44pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2017 at 10:02pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

The trailer for THE ORVILLE feels more like Star Trek than DISCOVERY. 

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2017 at 11:32pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Of course, we also never saw his insane uncle, Spook, who likes to dance
naked around the Vulcan Science Academy while wearing the bloody pelt of
I-Chaya, either.
+++++++++
That made me smile.

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2017 at 11:33pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

One thing I'm going to commit to is giving this show a fair chance. I didn't
watch much of Enterprise before I gave up but when I went back I found i
enjoyed it. This time I'll try to stay positive and give the writers a chance
before I check out.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2017 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Of course, we also never saw his insane uncle, Spook, who likes to dance naked around the Vulcan Science Academy while wearing the bloody pelt of I-Chaya, either. Does that mean we need to see him, too? Just because he's never been seen or mentioned doesn't mean he didn't exist, right?

Or they will just pull a 'Sybock' and say it's the mailman's kid.  Lol.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 25 July 2017 at 1:24pm

Ron Goad
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2017 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Just looks dark and dreary to me.

Not the upbeat, hopeful future that Star Trek is supposed to be about.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version