Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Rooftop Rambler - 02.02.2016 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 February 2016 at 6:36am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I think Batman is probably my favorite character for JB to draw to as a result of this even though he's never been particularly associated with Batman.

••

I have often wondered if that, which is true of many apparently, is precisely because I have not had a long run with the character?

Back to Top profile | search

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2016 at 6:54am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"I'm also realizing I much prefer Batman without the yellow oval around the bat symbol on his chest. "

I'm getting there. Although my childhood nostalgia is with the yellow oval, my recently reading early Batman stories and seeing pieces like JB's has me realizing how much better the sans oval works.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2016 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I think Batman is probably my favorite character for JB to draw to as a result of this even though he's never been particularly associated with Batman.

••

I have often wondered if that, which is true of many apparently, is precisely because I have not had a long run with the character?

That could very well be part of it. Although if you add up all the Generations mini-series and Batman/Captain America and the first issue of Untold Legend of the Batman and his appearances in Man of Steel and Legends and I'm sure several other books you've still drawn him quite a bit. One of the things I loved about your run on Action Comics was getting to see your take on all the DC characters you'd never gotten to draw before and every one was damn near the perfect version of them in my eyes. 

I really wish you would do a long run on Batman or Detective though. It would get me to start buying a DC comic for the first time in something like four years. And they are apparently rebooting again soon, so...

Edited by Shane Matlock on 04 February 2016 at 6:59am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 February 2016 at 6:59am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I really wish you would do a long run on Batman or Detective though.

••

I dunno. As I have said before, writing Batman -- at least, writing him properly -- is a different skill set from the one I possess. I can crash two planets into each other with the best of 'em, but a locked-room mystery is outside my talents.

(Not surprisingly, most of the Batman work I have done has been in a context other than straightforward detective stories.)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2016 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Well, how about you do the art with a detective/crime writer writing it? After all, Adams didn't write the Batman stories that catapulted him to the top of most Batman lists.

Edited by Brian Miller on 04 February 2016 at 8:27am

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2016 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It seems like a lot of Batman writers over the years haven't been particularly good at that aspect of writing Batman. Scott Snyder's recent fan-favorite run, which I didn't particularly enjoy or read very long, leaned more towards horror than mystery and I do think the book works best when there is the whole-locked room mystery as you put it and detective stuff going on. So many writers neglect that aspect of the character. Just the fact that you put that much thought into what makes Batman work is probably more thought than a lot of writers put into their Batman stories. That's a real epidemic in just about all the superhero books at the big two these days though. "Let's make the Fantastic Four incestuous!" "Let's have the Joker cut his own face off!" "Let's have Commissioner Gordon be Batman in a giant mech suit!" 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2016 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Brian, the only writer I've really enjoyed writing for JB  since he started writing his own comics is Roger Stern. But would Roger Stern work well on Batman? Most of his best books have tended to be the same kind that JB writes so well.  That said, now I really want to read a Stern-Byrne co-plotted Batman book.

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2016 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

This is a really neat piece.  It is one I can just picture on my wall next to a black-costumed, Spidey piece over the city. Something along the lines of Peter Parker 101.  Or maybe the one here about halfway down (sorry not sure where the original commission page is.)

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46120 &TPN=2

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2016 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Think how cool a Batman/ Black-costumed Spider-Man piece would be...

...drool...

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2016 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

WOW! Stunning piece. 

I like the statue on the top of the right hand building. Can tell what its supposed to be despite the distance.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2016 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Absolutely stunning, JB. Love the stance. Pure Batman. And I cannot offer anything else about the background that hasn't been said.

Love seeing you draw Batman. You can feel the respect for the character from your work.

Congrats to the commissioner.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 February 2016 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I think my favorite parts are all the things in the windows in the background. I'm sure it all amounted to nothing more than some random line work, but viewed as a part of the whole, it LOOKS like stuff you would see in lighted rooms at night in a city. Brilliance.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version