Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Re-Imagining "Acts Of Vengeance" In Your Image (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2016 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 1  

Whilst I'm not claiming everyone here didn't enjoy "Acts of Vengeance", I know some of us, myself included, felt it to be underwhelming and not worthy of the hype. I liked the premise, but, with a few exceptions, it didn't seem to deliver what was expected.

How about we re-imagine it here?

It's quite simple. Pick the heroes who were originally part of the arc and match them against villains who've they've rarely or never battled previously. Use as many heroes as you like, but they must be ones who featured in the original series.

Mine would be:

Spider-Man VS Mandarin
Iron Man VS Abomination
Thor VS Sauron
X-Men VS Kang the Conqueror 
Captain America VS Blob
Fantastic Four VS Grey Gargoyle
Wolverine VS Sandman
Hulk VS Molecule Man
Daredevil VS Mister Sinister
Dr. Strange VS Thanos
Punisher VS Magneto 

Not the most creative choices, perhaps, but it's a subjective topic.

I liked Spider-Man's battles against Doom. I'd welcome him battling someone else with delusions of grandeur in Mandarin.

I'd like to see Iron Man's armour put to the test against Abomination!

Thor VS Sauron would be a visual treat for me. Watch out for Mjolnir, Sauron! 

Have X-Men ever fought Kang? It could be their biggest challenge, given how close he's come to defeating the Avengers.

Good luck against the Blob, Captain America!

One man he may be, but the FF would be advised not to touch Grey Gargoyle. They'd probably subdue him relatively easily, though.

I chose Sandman as a Wolverine opponent because all of Wolverine's skills appear useless against Sandman! Adamantium claws aren't much use against Sandman's powers!

I'm also not sure how much use Hulk's strength would be against Molecule Man's powers, but the green-skinned goliath would no doubt find a way to persevere.

I'd like to see Mister Sinister's mental powers used against Daredevil's own super-senses!

Has Dr. Strange ever fought Thanos? Is Thanos well-protected against magic? Let's find out.

And in perhaps another mismatch, Punisher would have an incredibly tough time against Magneto.

Like I said, all subjective, but over to you!
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2016 at 8:54pm | IP Logged | 2  

Phew! No way the Punisher walks away from a fight with Magneto. Talk about a one-sided butt kicking contest! (Also, to answer your question, Doc Strange faced Thanos during the Infinity Gauntlet affair.)

I always liked the concept of "the Acts of Vengeance", so I'll take a stab at it.

Iron Man vs. Magneto
Thor vs. the Abomination and the Rhino
Captain America vs. Sabertooth
Avengers vs. the Sinister Six
Fantastic Four vs. the U-Foes
Spider-Man vs. Juggernaut (Rematch!)
Daredevil vs. the Hobgoblin
Punisher vs. the Red Skull
Dr. Strange vs. Molecule Man
Hulk vs. the Blob, Pyro and Avalanche
X-Men vs. the Masters of Evil

Okay, so I tried to remember which characters were around back then as much as I could.

It's tricky finding an opponent for the Punisher, since once you get into the superpowered types, he's in serious trouble! Still, I think there could be a cool story in the Punisher taking on the Red Skull, trying to foil some plot of his.

I always thought it would be interesting to see DD take on one of the Goblins since I don't think that's ever happened. He's got no emotional connection to either Goblin, so the angst of the Spidey vs. Goblin(s) fights gets removed from the equation.

The FF vs. the U-Foes...has this never really happened?? Seems like such a no-brainer to have the two groups tussle at least once!

The Avengers vs. the Sinister Six. C'mon, that would be fun!

Iron Man vs. Magneto seems like it could be a battle of constant one upsmanship.

Thor fighting the Abomination and the Rhino (didn't they used to team-up to fight the Hulk?) would be a heck of a donnybrook.

Cap vs. Sabertooth would be the ultimate battle of a super soldier against a virtual wild animal. Lots of fun stuff could happen there.

Dr. Strange vs. the Molecule Man could be a fun magic vs. science story. Each of them doing their best to outdo the other.

The Hulk taking on the goon squad from the Brotherhood, the Blob, Pyro and Avalanche could be a cool fight. I think, with their powers, the mutants could give the Hulk a tussle.

The X-Men against Zemo and his Masters of Evil? Now that would be a knock down, drag out fight for survival!

And Spidey vs. the Juggernaut would be a classic rematch! Only happens once every 20 years or so.

So, that would be my picks off the top of my head. I know all the match-ups don't make sense, but that was kinda the point of the deal, so I feel we can cheat a little.

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2016 at 9:47pm | IP Logged | 3  

Wolverine Vs Sandman

++++++++++
There is no way i see wolverine winning this unless the villain is a complete
idiot.

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2016 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'll try a few:
Luke Cage and Iron Fist vs the Cobra and Mr. Hyde
Marvel Girl vs Vector
Iron Man vs Madcap & Baron Bliztkrieg
Shang-Chi vs Batroc
Captain America vs Mister X
Xmen vs The Night Shift

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 January 2016 at 10:00pm | IP Logged | 5  

My brain still seizes up at the thought of the Punisher being considered one of the good guys.

David Philpott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 January 2016 at 10:09pm | IP Logged | 6  

I like both lists.  Very imaginative. I wish we could see some of those match ups.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2016 at 4:33am | IP Logged | 7  

Hmm...would the Grey Gargoyle's power work on the Thing?  He's already "stone" of a sort.

And it would be fun to see stories with the Sinister Six against most of these heroes!  Together, they're powerful enough to be trouble for Iron Man; and yet, matching them against Daredevil could be quite a tale too.

Again, a reminder that there are a million stories we haven't seen...and way too many we've seen more than once.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2016 at 5:02am | IP Logged | 8  

Captain America vs. Green Goblin
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2016 at 5:10am | IP Logged | 9  

Thing VS Grey Gargoyle? Hmmm. Yes, stone.

There are no doubt lots of stories we haven't seen. I don't know for sure, but I don't recall Fantastic Four ever having faced Juggernaut. I'd love to see that.

It's the fresh spin that appeals to me. The fresh angle. Such as Cap VS Vulture. Cap is probably stronger than Vulture (I assume Vulture has no specific super-strengths). However, Cap caught in mid-air with the Vulture is, well, it's a long drop, isn't it?

It's the little things that can be fresh with a new opponent. Vulture can avoid Spider-Man's webs - but can he avoid Cap's shield? Is Iron Man adequately protected against Electro's powers? 

I like the idea of characters (good and bad) being taken out of their natural environment. Scorpion may enjoy beating on Spider-Man atop a roof - but how would he fare dragged underwater by Namor? 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2016 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 10  

The Punisher vs Galactus.

Right, this fight doesn't even take a second.

Well, a man can dream, can't he?

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2016 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 11  

Is the Thing made of stone, or was this a
retcon due to Kirby's drawing style? I've
been under the impression that his skin
was closer to dinosaur hide.

Cyclops vs. The Living Laser.
Wolverine vs. The Executioner.
Thor vs. The Mandarin
Spider-Man vs. Batroc The Leader

Curious, recently I've heard Shang-Chi
pronounced both with an "I" sound and an
"E" sound. I've always done so with an "e"
sound, but I've heard the other enough to
make me question this.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 January 2016 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 12  

Liking all that I see here.

The slightest bit of cross-pollination could lead to some interesting places. How would a particular character, perhaps used to fisticuffs, handle an opponent who primarily uses weapons or gadgets? 

I'm thinking about comfort zones here. Namor usually engages in fisticuffs with villains, but how would he handle a villain who uses mainly weaponry? How would Vulture handle a hero who can fly after him? Just how good is Reed Richards' science going to be against Dormammu or Juggernaut?

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version