Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Original X-Men VS Sinister Six (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 December 2015 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 1  

One of my dream battles as a kid (do it, Marvel) was the original X-Men VS The Sinister Six. Conveniently, the original X-Men had five members, but if you add Professor X to the mix, that's six. So a fair contest (maybe).

Who would you match with who? Who wins here?

I'm thinking:

Professor X VS Doctor Octopus
Jean Grey VS Vulture
Iceman VS Electro
Cyclops VS Kraven
Beast VS Mysterio
Archangel VS Sandman 

You'll notice I avoided the predictable match-up of Archangel VS Vulture.

So, who'd win that skirmish? 

I'm a pedantic guy so I'll state one rule for the topic: keep to the original X-Men (no adding Wolverine) and the original incarnation of the Sinister Six, but match them up in whatever combination you wish.

I could foresee Professor X experiencing only minor difficulties (if any) with Octopus!

Could probably see Jean Grey having few difficulties with Vulture.

Iceman VS Electro intrigues me. Electro is a nasty piece of work and I could see him subduing Iceman.

Cyclops could probably handle Kraven.

Beast had best not underestimate Mysterio, but I think he'd find a way to beat him.

Archangel might have some trouble with Sandman. 

Sandman is probably the biggest threat to any individual X-Men, but as a unit, I am sure they could defeat him.

I give this one to the X-Men! 

Back to Top profile | search

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 December 2015 at 3:49pm | IP Logged | 2  

You'd think Kraven would want to bag the Beast. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 December 2015 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 3  

True, but I did try to avoid the predictable scenarios (which is why I didn't pair Angel up with Vulture).

I try to think that way with these topics. I mean, it'd be easy to match up two water-dwelling opponents. Or have two supernatural characters face each other, but I'd rather have two different types fighting.

Same with team-ups. Do I go with Aquaman/Namor - or might I go with something "outside the box" such as Aquaman/Ghost Rider? 

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 December 2015 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 4  

Interesting showdown. I like it when teams "switch partners" in the heat of battle, but here are some of my thoughts and ideas:

I'd like to see Marvel Girl put her TK to the test trying to control Dr. Octopus' arms.

Iceman trying his best to contain Sandman would be interesting.

I can see Cyclops struggling to draw a bead on The Vulture, but eventually taking him out.

Kraven takes out Angel. Maybe very easily.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 December 2015 at 5:06pm | IP Logged | 5  

You'd think Kraven would want to bag the Beast.

••

Bin there, done that.

And Xavier could take 'em all down without even leaving the Mansion!!

Phil Frances
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 December 2015 at 5:26pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'd go -

Professor X vs Mysterio - on the theory that Charles could alter the whole (apparent) landscape of the fight if he can control Quentin Beck - although Mysterio may have more defences than the Professor might expect ...

Marvel Girl vs Kraven - the big game hunter targets the most dangerous adversary to test his skill - which will be fully needed ...

Cyclops vs the Vulture - all it should take is one clear shot from that eye-beam - but Toomes is a crafty old beggar, weaving around the battleground and just waiting for his chance to pick Scott off ....

Beast vs Sandman - could Flint Marko simply overwhelm Hank McCoy with his huge bodyweight of sand ? The Sandman has faced the greater strength of the Hulk on more than one occasion and survived -  but then the Beast has an intellect far superior to that of the Green Goliath ....

Iceman vs Doctor Octopus - for no other reason than Bobby could put Otto's tentacles literally 'on ice' - fusing them together, or to the ground, to close him down. Of course, Ock would have different ideas - and an overall master plan ...

Angel vs Electro - given his danger room training, Warren would likely easily avoid Max Dillon's electrical bolts by keeping his distance - but any closer contact could quickly clip the Angel's wings ....

Edited by Phil Frances on 25 December 2015 at 6:18pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 December 2015 at 7:06pm | IP Logged | 7  

Professor X is the hiccup in any story involving the original X-Men. He can take on just about anyone of mortal standing and, as JB points out, do it from the comfort of his home. Why he thinks he needs the X-Men as anything but a public relations tool and training them for their own defense is beyond me. (Just a phrase. Yes, I can come up with reasons, but they're compromised by the fact that Xavier is established as being so awesomely powerful.) Xavier assumes control of Octopus' arms and uses them to round up four of the six, no problem; Kraven unthinkingly stumbles into his own net, and the Sandman suddenly forgets how to reassemble himself. Game over. 

Giving Xavier some sort of "Odinsleep" problem would have helped, story-telling wise. Establish that he's defenseless 16 hours out of every day and you've got a reason for the X-Men to fight without him, protect him, and train to take on the foes he's held in check all these years by himself. 

So, absent Xavier's involvement, or assuming just that Doc Ock wins via some sort of instructions he gave the arms prior to Xavier commanding him to fall asleep to knock out the arrogant Prof. X once he assumes he's won... 

Since cold super-conducts electricity, Bobby would soon recognize he's a lightning-rod for Electro's power and figures out that what he has to do is freeze everything else around them, leaving himself frost-free and having to fight Max Dillon as young kid Bobby Drake while Electro's blasts are channeled around him.

Archangel? We don't get Wolverine, but we get the post-Four Horsemen version of Warren? Assuming that's a typo, the Angel loses to the Sandman. Sandman is just too awesomely powerful. Warren's only hope is to fight his foe in one of his family's industrial centers where Warren knows how the gizmos work and the Sandman doesn't, thereby blundering into a trap.

Jean Grey vs. the Vulture. Again, telekinesis is such a gigantic gimme that it's hard to make her lose, but Stan did so all the time, so I have to assume she'd lose this one too somehow. Perhaps the Vulture figures out her range and continues to circle and circle overhead while Jean over-strains herself trying to catch him...

Cyclops vs. Kraven- I'm a big, big Cyclops fan and can not bear the thought of him losing to a non-powered, arrogant foe who supposed has all the street smarts while Cyke ain't gots nuthin' but book-lurnin' an' that ain't nuthin' (see also: X-Men #201) I'd love to see Cyke blast Kraven from a distance, maybe with a ricochet shot off Mysterio's helmet and go help everyone else defeat their foes. However, that's fanboy talk, and if Kraven's going to be in the story, he has to be established as a formidable X-Men foe whether he appears to be one on the surface or not. So, given that Kraven can guzzle jungle-power potions to increase his resilience, strength, and endurance, let's have Scott take that shot, assume victory, and wind up pummeled by the not-so-fragile-as-we-thought Spider-Man foe, whose jungle victory cry rings through the air above his fallen foe...

Beast vs. Mysterio- As Hank jumps through one illusion after another, cleverly figuring out the master trickster's modus operandi as he goes, he becomes a little too self-assured and bounds headlong into an object he foolishly assumed was one more of the fifty or so illusions coming at him from all sides. One of the things about the Original X-Men is that they were supposed to be students, and didn't have all the tricks of the trade down yet. Mysterio couldn't beat Captain America this way. Hopefully, he couldn't beat Cyclops this way, either, but Hank's just confident enough in his own brain-power to be sure he's got it all over a simple special effects charlatan like Mysterio, and that should cost him.

Of course, once the Original X-Men are down, the Six have to figure out what to do with them, and waking up, licking their wounds, and getting their heads back on straight is the point at which the kids learn their lessons, rally, and win the day, possibly by taking on two foes at once rather than just one, and coming at the bad guys from a variety of different directions. Fighting one-on-one is old school, grown-up thinking. Fighting from a dozen directions at once and not giving your opponents the chance to catch their breath? That's Spider-Man 101 and the way things get done in this, the anything-but-old-school Marvel Age of Comics! Sing it loud and proudly, True Believers! 

Edited by Brian Hague on 25 December 2015 at 7:09pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 December 2015 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 8  

Archangel? We don't get Wolverine, but we get the post-Four Horsemen version of Warren? Assuming that's a typo...

Yes, that was a typo. I'm thinking of Angel. Basically, the X-Men as they were in 1963. :)

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2015 at 3:36am | IP Logged | 9  

Okay, I've got to throw a little twist into the scenario to give anybody a chance against Xavier.

Professor X vs. Mysterio--Assuming, by accident or design, Mysterio's "goldfish bowl" can block Xavier's mental powers (as has been established with Magneto's helmet) and Mysterio has Xavier separated from the rest in some sort of death trap full of illusions and boobytraps.

Marvel Girl vs. Sandman--How would Jean's telekinesis work here?  If he came at her like a sandstorm, would she have to mentally manipulate each grain of sand separately?  She can't do a blanket force field to protect herself from a million grains of sand at once, right?

Cyclops vs. Electro--Yeah, they're both energy shooters, but completely different kinds of beams/bolts!  The battle might last for only moments, but there's no telling who will land a hit first!

Beast vs. Kraven--When has this happened?  I would love to see this!

Angel vs. Vulture--I'm fine with going for the obvious!  As an artist, this is a face-off I would love to see--and am tempted to draw myself!

Iceman vs. Dr. Octopus--This might remind a little bit of a Spider-Man/Ock face-off, since Iceman is the youngest and he can "shoot" ice like Spidey can shoot webs,  I can picture a lot of ice columns being shattered at the flailing of Ock's robot arms.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2015 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 10  

Iceman VS Octopus would certainly be a visual treat! :)

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2015 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 11  

Beast vs. Kraven--When has this happened? I would love to see this!

JB pitted the two against one another in XMHY.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 December 2015 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 12  

Issue #17 apparently...

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version