Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Thought Balloons (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2015 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 1  

I've noticed this is one of Mr Bryne's pet peeves and I actually thought I understood the difference but it seems I don't. I had the impression they were called thought bubbles as they look like bubbles and when a character thinks they're called speech balloons as they look like balloons but I've seen various posts where Mr Byrne has corrected a poster for mistakingly calling them by the wrong name. 

I given the reason why I say thought bubbles but where has others gotten this seemingly universal mistake from? 
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 December 2015 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 2  

It makes sense that those shapes that contain thought would be called "bubbles." As you note, they LOOK like bubbles, as distinct from speech balloons which, with a little imagination, do look like balloons -- a round shape with a "string" attached.

But it is important to remember how thought balloons started. In the early days of comic strips, thoughts did not have their own identifying shape. They were presented in regular speech balloons, but with (THINKS) in front of the dialog. Clumsy, to say the least. And eventually this gave way to the forms we know now -- but the name stayed the same.

It's probably a loosing battle. Civilians call speech balloons AND thought balloons "bubbles," and civilians have a way of winning arguments like this. There are more of them!! But I will cling to the proper terminology. After all, if I was talking football with someone, and I called the players headgear "caps," shouldn't I expect to be corrected?

As long as we're on this road, also remember that the individual pictures are called "panels," not "frames." The spaces between them are called "gutters." The first page of the comic is the "splash," unless it has more than one big panel. Then it's a "multi-panel splash." If it's one big panel anywhere other than on the first page, it's called a "full page splash." Two of them presenting a single image is a "double-page spread" -- tho this can also apply to multiple panels that cross the center.

Technically, "graphic novel" refers to format, not content. People have applied some snobbery to the term, but, as Marvel proved in the early days of the format (almost discrediting it entirely) being square-bound is not an automatic indication of superior content.

And, by the way, only ennui-engorged idiots call the books "floppies".

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2015 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 3  

Ah, thank you. I understand now. I thought the first page of a comic book was only called a splash if it had one big panel and only if it was the case other than that I thought it was just say, page one. 

I used to call TPBs graphic novels but looking back it was only to pretend to myself and others that I wasn't reading a comic book. Now, I'll just admit it. Ha ha. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 December 2015 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 4  

I've spent a lot of years seeking a more user friendly term than "comic book." One the will dissuade people from telling me funny stories I can use! In recent years, tho, I have embraced the term, and remind people that "comic book" refers to everything. Trades, graphic novels, tabloids, digests -- they're ALL comic books!

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2015 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 5  

The use of "graphic novel" by some fans (and creators) reminds me of how I'll
often come across (especially in "hip" cities) "gourmet" doughnuts, burgers,
and even popcorn! Somehow, the simple pleasures of these foods must be
"gussied" up.

And don't get me started on "hand-cut" fries!
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 December 2015 at 2:22pm | IP Logged | 6  

And don't get me started on "hand-cut" fries!

••

How about fries that leave the skin on the potato because that's "healthier"?

Well, yeah, keeping the skin on traps the Good Stuff in potatoes inside -- if you're boiling or baking or in some way cooking them that doesn't break the skin. But fries?

And anyway, everybody knows they're called "chips"? ;)

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2015 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 7  

Hearing people refer to trade paperbacks as graphic novels is a bit like nails on
chalkboard for me. Thankfully, I have not recently encountered anyone using
the term thought bubbles! I'm sure it would set my teeth on edge.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2015 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 8  

I don't have a problem with the term comic book, I just think it's silly when people call them graphic novels in order for it to sound sophisticated and less childish. 

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2015 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 9  

And anyway, everybody knows they're called "chips"? ;)

Its funny, I've always referred to them as french fries except when they're on a plate with fish, when they magically become chips!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2015 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 10  

Wait, wait, lads. Are these potato strips thin or thick? If they're thin then they're French Fries but if they're thick they're chips. :P

Geoffrey Langford
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2015 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 11  

I used to call then THOUGHT CLOUDS, but they aren't used anymore are they?   I don't really buy comics regularly these days.  Sort of skim the rack and buy trade collections.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2015 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 12  

The sad part about the term "graphic novel", is that when
we actually have a true graphic novel these days, it gets
referred to a "novel in graphic form".
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version