The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: Marvel’s "new look" (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 1  

He is not gay. Unless they changed that in
the last couple of months.

...so it's understandable to hear people believing it if they haven't read anything about the character since then.

Ahhh, thank you for clarifying. Almost all I can remember from when he debuted were the "gay claims."
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 2  

What I don't understand is why people working at Marvel nowadays think that draining Captain America of the super-soldier serum would age him. It was being frozen that maintained his youth, the serum simply allowed him to survive the experience.
------------------------------------------------------------ -----

Exactly. Plus he's also turned into a right grumpy, insensitive & close minded s.o.b. Overnight. Which again doesn't seem right. I think some people maybe get that way in their elder years because they'e just grown really cynical at seeing people make lots of stupid mistakes again and again. But Steve has been an older guy 'inside' for many years without turning into a complete sour puss. Just doesn't seem right that he'd immediately get like that from losing the super soldier serum..
Back to Top profile | search

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 4:07pm | IP Logged | 3  

The whole "Steve Rogers ages without the super soldier serum" trope shows how Marvel doesn't understand their own characters anymore...

Olav Bakken
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 4:26pm | IP Logged | 4  

So Lloyd Bridges is the new Captain America?

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 5  

Karnak had a great costume and now he looks like a Morlock.

Well Marvel has been turning the Inhumans into X-Men/mutant stand ins (and turning the X-Men/mutants into Inhumans), which is how we end up with this kind of crap.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 6  

Hearing that character described as "half black, half Puerto Rican" (which he consistently is) always amuses me, as lots of Puerto Ricans are black. It's like describing Spock as half Vulcan, half Federation.

This is so very true. Many Puerto Ricans are black and most (if not all) Puerto Ricans have racially mixed ancestry (black,native,and white).

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 7  

Dr. Strange needs a battle axe now? Jesus...

Remember, in order to make a modern day character KEWL and popular daid character has to be turned into a "badass". Hence why Strange has to carry a battle axe. This is the type of crap that we end up with when fans who grew up loving Wolverine and thinking how "cool" the character is turn pro and think that the only way to make a character cool is to make said character into a "kick butt" fighter wielding a sharp and deadly hand weapon.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 8  

Steve Rogers...?

Jason Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 9  

That pic looks absurdly close to the way Steve is being drawn now!

As for Strange and the axe. Yeah, I think Marvel should give him some pouches, a bomber jacket, and a backpacked shotgun. Then the reversion to 90's cool will be complete. He can be the 'Extreme' Strange.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 10  

There were many unsubstantiated claims that Miles Morales would be gay around the time he first appeared, so it's understandable to hear people believing it if they haven't read anything about the character since then.

What I don't understand is why people working at Marvel nowadays think that draining Captain America of the super-soldier serum would age him. It was being frozen that maintained his youth, the serum simply allowed him to survive the experience.

Miles isn't gay, but his best friend is gay.

As for Cap aging, the current of Captain America did a story that had Cap trapped in an alternate dimension for about 20+ years and he did not age. It was revealed in that story that the Super Soldier Serum keeps Cap young, which of course, is not how is not how the serum works.

Conner Dinkins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 6:55pm | IP Logged | 11  

I seldom keep up with the new stuff going on at Marvel or DC. But every time I do I'm just reminded of how the characters I loved as a kid are now gone forever. They only exist in reprints and the old comics and commissions by JB and other artists. It just makes me sad to see this. I wish my kids had some great new adventures of these characters that they could read and remember when they grow up.

Geoffrey Langford
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2015 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 12  

The thing is, Marvel Comics isn't writing for the crowd here, the ever shrinking and aging fan base from the 80s etc.   They're going after the current youth of the day, trying to make these characters appealing to the young crowd of the day.   Argue the pros and cons of that sort of business model all day long, it won't change the fact that 40 something fanboys are not a majority readership and they're not the future of the publishing arm.  It's the same with IMAGE from the 90s -- I found nothing appealing about their identical (from book to book) character designs, but the kids of the day loved it, citing Marvel and DC as old and lame.  So get down on them (Marvel, DC, etc) all you like - at least they're trying to keep the brand fresh for a continued audience.  Personally, I hate it.  But that's why I've got my collection of old comics, so I can enjoy yesterday when I can't stand looking at what's happening today.  There's always tomorrow.

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version