Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 31
Topic: Spider-Man: Homecoming - SPOILERS start Pg 22 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2017 at 3:24am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I'll tell you what I would have liked - a Scorpion suit with a tail. They could have shown that in the box of weapons they were going to sell him. how about that huh?

------

I think that would have been more of a wank wank nod than what you were complaining about. Mac Gargan was just sequel fodder. Giving him a pre-existing affinity for scorpions that might shape his design preference for a weaponized suit was not problematic for me. 
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2017 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The poor reviews and bad word of mouth would have damaged a fourth movie (arguably it did if you consider ASM the next film in the franchise), and Tobey Maguire wasn't going to become cheaper.
+++++++++

I was under the impression that the main reason we didn't get a Raimi-directed SPIDER-MAN 4 is because he couldn't lock down a story fast enough for Sony's tastes, since they needed to quickly produce another movie in order to keep the rights. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2017 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yes, but Raimi even said at the time he parted with Sony that they were wanting a reboot. The reboot script was ready to go when he dropped Spider-Man 4. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2017 at 10:49am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Deleted because I was repeating myself!

Edited by Peter Martin on 11 August 2017 at 10:49am

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2017 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yes, but Raimi even said at the time he parted with Sony that they were wanting a reboot. The reboot script was ready to go when he dropped Spider-Man 4. 
++++++

Ah. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 12:45am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I finally saw this movie a couple of days ago.

It's the first Spider-Man movie that I've actually enjoyed. Because despite the different context of the MCU, it's the first one that actually feels like it has Spider-Man in it, not some other character calling himself "Spider-Man" (and "Peter Parker" for that matter).

There were some choices I wish Marvel Studios hadn't made, the biggest one being most of the "special" stuff that the Stark-designed Spider-suit has (an artificial intelligence that Peter decides to name "Karen"? Really?) but I can accept that as long as it doesn't come back for the sequel. 

As for Michelle saying "I prefer MJ" I think that was to...how do the kids put it..."fuck with people."

And Michael Keaton was great fun to watch. Much better as the Vulture than as Batman, even if it's not the Vulture I remember. (Then again, his Batman wasn't much like Batman as I knew him either.)

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 12:53am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

James Woodcock wrote:
I do find it strange the overall lack of criticism about it's box office numbers. It has made considerably less than Amazing Spider-Man 2 - and that forced this reboot as it was seen as a failure.

Not true at all.  As of this writing, and with SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING still in theaters, HOMECOMING has grossed $727.1 mil worldwide while ASM 2 grossed $708.9 mil worldwide.  Not a huge difference to be sure, but for accuracy and because you claimed otherwise, it's important to note the falsehood.  Also, you can't forget that HOMECOMING has the added punch of being intricate to the Marvel Universe of films thus building greater enthusiasm for the franchise than a stand-alone Sony produced superhero film ever could achieve.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 1:10am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

James Woodcock wrote:
I cannot see how this is the resounding financial success that was hoped for. It has done better than Man of Steel, but way worse that BvsS which was panned for its earnings (and its plot, but then, I think the plot of this film is pretty weak)

Apples and oranges.  BATMAN VS SUPERMAN is as different from SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING as night is from day.  BvS was supposed to jumpstart a franchise of films.  It was expected to gross at or above $1 billion worldwide.  Given the fact that it starred two of DC Comics most iconic heroes, had the debut of Wonder Woman and introduced the Justice League, expectations were incredibly high.  That it only grossed exactly $100 mil more than the original GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY ($873 mil vs $773 mil), a film starring exactly zero Marvel heroes that the general audience even previously knew existed, was incredibly disappointing for Warner Brothers.  

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING had much lower expectations.  It was never supposed to gross a billion dollars.  It's a film that acts as a bridge to get a fan-favorite character previously with another studio into the MU proper.  The fact that it hit the right notes with fans and critics alike (high school, funny, light hearted, no retelling of the origin) and that a general audience still considered him worthy of a third franchise reboot in less than twenty years enough so that it grossed a healthy number is a win-win.  

At the end of the day, neither was a failure or a bomb.  But they had entirely different expectations and one, in particular, was supposed to launch a burgeoning franchise yet left most either incredibly cold or, at the very least, hesitant to jump in with both feet. Big difference.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 1:15am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

What Matt said. This one did the job it needed to do, and was probably never intended or destined as a billion-dollar smash. There was a lot less riding on this film than there was on BvS, or even WONDER WOMAN.

...not that Spider-Man doesn't deserve a billion-dollar smash, of course! It's just that this film had to work to dispense the bad taste left by the previous two (three, really) films, and set up the character's entry into the MCU. It accomplished both goals.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Seriously guys? Spider-Man coming back to the MCU was not expected to do way, way more business than the previous films? At the time my original post was written, Homecoming had not made as much money worldwide as the films I mentioned. It has now passed those.

But, it was, prior to the actual release, expected to do way more than the previous films. This was supposed to be Marvel showing Sony how to do Spider-Man. I found it made more changes, especially with the supporting characters than did the previous films. And it made just as many changes to the villains as did the previous films.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 August 2017 at 12:00pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Yeah, it really does kinda seem like the stakes were lower.

As much as I hate to say it, it really feels like Spider-Man has been sorta left behind, over the past decade. He's still Marvel's most recognizable character, but the focus really seems to have shifted to Iron Man and the Avengers as the flagship character(s). 

The Raimi movies totally missed the opportunity to enshrine Spider-Man's inherent sense of humor for a generation of filmgoers, which is something that Iron Man and Deadpool have eagerly stolen out from under him. And, those last two Sony movies did him absolutely no favors. 

HOMECOMING may have underperformed in terms of what it was expected to earn, but it still did the job of making the character viable for future MCU entries, which was the goal. The critical and fan reception is vastly improved, compared to the AMAZING films. People are again excited about potential future films. So, mission accomplished.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 September 2017 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

HOMECOMING finally opened in China and look *gasp* the tone of the headlines have changed.

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 September 2017 at 4:04am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Can someone put this in perspective? Will
this movie out perform any of the Sam
Raimi Spider-Man films?
(If so, are we talking just the the
third/worst one?)
Shouldn't it? A Spider-Man movie set in
the Marvel Universe, with the higher
ticket prices and greater prevelence of 3D
ticket prices?

Edited by Marc M. Woolman on 11 September 2017 at 4:05am

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2017 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Ok, I was wrong. This is now the highest grossing super hero movie this year and the only Spider-Man film to gross more is Spider-Man 3, and it may pass that if it can earn another $13 million.

So I guess it did itís job and I was wrong overall.

Still a disappointing film though

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 31
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version