Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 30 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man: Homecoming - SPOILERS start Pg 22 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2017 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I was ok with everything in the movie BUT the middle finger from Michelle and the FBomb from May.
++++++++++++

Yeah, I find myself uneasy about the level of profanity and innuendo in the film. Spider-Man really needs to be an all-ages friendly character, and a good role model for kids, y'know?

The last bit with May makes for a great joke moment...but it basically sacrifices the character and the dynamics of her relationship with Peter for the sake of the joke. Of course, making her young(ish) arguably already destroys the dynamic.

Some people hate elderly Aunt May, but I think she's a vital component of the mythos. Peter's only living relative. A good person who became a widow because of him, and whose life would be in jeopardy if she found out his true identity, or if one of his enemies found out his true identity.
Back to Top profile | search | email

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2017 at 5:45pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Come on, there's hardly any profanity and innuendo. Peter swore more in Civil War. Cutting off swears is perfect for a young audience. They love that sh--.

I doubt Aunt May was ever relevant to Spider-Man's audience. Lee and Ditko created someone who was the right age to be the aunt of someone in their forties, not their teens. Maybe they really wanted cyclical heart attack drama and a supporting cast in an old folks home, or maybe this was one of times where the "down with the kids of today"-o-meter failed, like when the X-Men went to beat poetry in checked suits and pork-pie hats.

When I was a kid, Bea Arthur played a 47 year old as a grey-haired grandmother type. How many 47 years old women do you know who walk around with natural grey hair now? I don't know any. Time change. Hot women can have heart conditions, too.

Edited by David Miller on 15 July 2017 at 5:56pm
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2017 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yeah, I find myself uneasy about the level of profanity and innuendo in the film. Spider-Man really needs to be an all-ages friendly character, and a good role model for kids, y'know?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
What decade are you in Greg? There was very little profanity and innuendo in the film. Sure when I was a kid maybe it would have been too much for young children. But by today's standards it doesn't even come close to not being all ages friendly.
Back to Top profile | search

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2017 at 6:14pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The last bit with May makes for a great joke moment...but it basically sacrifices the character and the dynamics of her relationship with Peter for the sake of the joke. Of course, making her young(ish) arguably already destroys the dynamic. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~````````
That's a matter of opinion Greg. We are on different sides of the fence on this one.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2017 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I doubt Aunt May was ever relevant to Spider-Man's audience.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~```
Aunt May was very relevant. We cared about her well being because Peter cared about her. For most of my childhood she was the only family that Peter had. If you remove her from the picture you remove much of the drama in Peter's life. She was a living reminder of the selfish act he committed that cost him Uncle Ben.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2017 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I mean in terms of how many people in the audience could relate to having a senior citizen aunt. 
Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2017 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I mean in terms of how many people in the audience could relate to having a senior citizen aunt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh I misunderstood.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2017 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I won't say that I'm completely okay with portraying Aunt May a younger more attractive character. I've no doubt that my fondness for Marisa Tomei is making it easier for me to accept it. She certainly is a hotter 52 year old than there was when I was growing up. 

But times have changed. Old age isn't like what it was in the 60's. 

But I guess that doesn't matter. It seems that like many of the other MCU versions of the characters. May is being partially based upon The Ultimate Universe version of the character.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2017 at 7:33pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

What decade are you in Greg? There was very little profanity and innuendo in the film. Sure when I was a kid maybe it would have been too much for young children. But by today's standards it doesn't even come close to not being all ages friendly.

------

My friend just texted me an article from Teen Vogue entitled "A Guide to Anal Sex". She said that wasn't the Teen Vogue she remembered growing up. I think by today's standards, an "asshole" and "Penis Parker" are all-ages. Then again, I look back at all the 80s movies I was allowed to watch as a kid and they were filled with profanity and innuendo as well. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2017 at 7:42pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

My friend just texted me an article from Teen Vogue entitled "A Guide to Anal Sex". 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I saw that on Facebook. To say I was stunned would be an understatement. My generation is to blame.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2017 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I dunno. Times may have changed (for the worse), but I guess it's just my nature to want a character like Spider-Man to stay "clean", as it were. The Comics Code was in effect for decades, yes, but Peter Parker just wasn't the sort of kid to casually toss out curse words. All-ages appropriateness aside, it doesn't quite seem to be in his character: a clean-cut, hard-working honor student raised by good people to be a polite, kind and well-mannered kid. And, as a result, was classic nerdy fodder for bullies.

This is all minor quibbling, of course! When Spider-Man starts dabbling in anal sex, a few movies down the road, then I'll actually be upset...

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2017 at 7:59pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

What decade are you in Greg?
++++++++++

The wrong one. Game-show host President. The Kardashians. Marvel and DC Comics sucking hard. Abrams STAR TREK, Abrams STAR WARS. No less than five TRANSFORMERS movies directed by Michael Bay.

Remember the ancient Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times"...?

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2017 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

What decade are you in Greg?
++++++++++

The wrong one. Game-show host President. The Kardashians. Marvel and DC Comics sucking hard. Abrams STAR TREK, Abrams STAR WARS. No less than five TRANSFORMERS movies directed by Michael Bay. 

Remember the ancient Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times"...?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If only any of it was interesting. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2017 at 8:05pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I dunno. Times may have changed (for the worse), but I guess it's just my nature to want a character like Spider-Man to stay "clean", as it were. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That's how I'd like him to stay as well.

The Comics Code was in effect for decades, yes, but Peter Parker just wasn't the sort of kid to casually toss out curse words. All-ages appropriateness aside, it doesn't quite seem to be in his character: a clean-cut, hard-working honor student raised by good people to be a polite, kind and well-mannered kid. And, as a result, was classic nerdy fodder for bullies.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Even taking into account the changing times. I still think the Peter Parker as presented in Homecoming fits that description. 
````````````````
 When Spider-Man starts dabbling in anal sex, a few movies down the road, then I'll actually be upset.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh My !

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2017 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Finally caught this a couple of days ago. I'll add to the echo chamber: Spider-Man they nailed. Everything else was weirdly, though not unpleasantly, off. Much like my ranking this movie a solid B out of 5 possible stars. 

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 2:59am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Saw this with my daughter. Wonder Woman was a much
better movie.

This film was fun, but not one of Marvel's best. It's
better than the worst Marvel films, but a notch below
the best ones. I'd put it on equal terms with Antman.

I'm surprised with all the "they get Peter Parker and
Spider-Man right" comments.
They get Peter Parker, perfect, Spidey..er... Iron
Spidey, not so much.
Funny that Marvel didn't give us a faithful adaptation
of Spider-Man. I didn't catch any of Peter's high
school friends' names and it didn't matter. None of
them are Peter's friends/social group from the comics.

I like this movie better than any of Sam Raimis'
Spidey films, but this one is less faithful to the
comics.
The look of the costume is "meh" yeah, sure he's got
expressive eyes, but the Costume from Amazing Spider-
Man 2 (Marc Web's) is much better. It's the best
Spider-Man costume on film to date.

Last nitpicks: the film has scenes that are filmed too
dark and make it way too difficult to follow the
action, mostly battles with the Vulture, but that
trapped-under-rubble-scene was also too dark, and very
underwhelming compared to the classic Ditko scene from
the comics.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 5:24am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Michael Roberts: "We'll see clones before we see [Ock's brain in Peter's body]."

...I hate you. :)

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 5:36am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Greg K., I'm with you. I am 56 and I'm an old fogey, but flipping a finger and "What the F***" are too far. I want clean also. This isn't Deadpool, SHOULDN'T be Deadpool, and should not subject itself to "everyone does it today." Everyone does it because nobody stops it. This is a major motion picture... it doesn't follow the curve, it defines it. They could STOP it as much as succumb to it.

Anthony L. - "If only any of it was interesting." Then I suspect you miss the meaning of the curse and this definition of interesting. 'Cause I assure you, I find this interesting... and I feel VERY much as if it's a curse!!!

IDEA: While this might have replaced the last five seconds of the film, we can't change the past. But what if Homecoming 2 (or whatever they call the damned thing) starts with May's reaction... and then a heart attack. CUT TO: Hospital, May in a bed, and a doctor talking to Peter outside the room. "She suffered quite a shock, but she doesn't remember too much. But she needs to be protected from such shocks in the future. And her insurance doesn't entirely cover this medication she needs. I'm sorry to put you in this spot, son, but you're the only family she has."

Sets up the character and the May / Peter / Spider-Man relationship pretty well. We might even get that Michelle could be a caregiver assigned to May.

And whoever out there said "Stark will pay to take care of May", I shall bop with this here lollipop. I warn you.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Anthony L. - "If only any of it was interesting." Then I suspect you miss the meaning of the curse and this definition of interesting. 'Cause I assure you, I find this interesting... and I feel VERY much as if it's a curse!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eric, I am not missing the meaning of the curse. and I agree that it's a curse. 

But it is you who are missing something. 

I don't find anything interesting about
Trump, The Kardashians. Marvel and DC Comics sucking hard. Abrams STAR TREK, Abrams STAR WARS. TRANSFORMERS movies directed by Michael Bay. 

Hence my comment If only any of it was interesting. 

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Hey, at least they can't have MCU May hooking up with MCU Jarvis.

Or can they? :-)

<duh...duh...duh...>

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Last nitpicks: the film has scenes that are filmed too 
dark and make it way too difficult to follow the 
action, mostly battles with the Vulture, but that 
trapped-under-rubble-scene was also too dark, and very 
underwhelming compared to the classic Ditko scene from 
the comics>>

Whatever problems I had with this movie, this was not among them.
But some of the Netflix stuff.  Shot WAY too dark.  I can't see half of what is happening.  For me, the trapped under the rubble homage was one of my highlights.  I disliked the beat me over the head with it, nonstop humor and the off model supporting characters.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

While I should reiterate that this is by no means a bad movie--and is indeed very entertaining and fun--, I think the inherent problem is that it reduces Marvel's flagship hero into less than what he actually is. The film is rather shallow and DEADPOOL-lite, which both helps and hinders it. 

Spider-Man is a much deeper and more interesting character than what we get, here. Focusing on the humor and hijinks makes the film breezy and lighthearted, yes, but the sense of mythic resonance and drama is lacking, as a result. The genius of the character as created by Lee and Ditko is that balance between humor, heart, and tragedy. Tonal gear-shifts which work (and feel realistic) without giving you emotional whiplash. Peter Parker is an angsty character, and the humor comes more out of his having to deal with genuinely difficult situations (bullying, relationships, life-or-death superhero battles) than it does from the situations themselves. Making him all-spaz-all-the-time makes him come across as rather shallow and naive, rather than a serious kid who uses humor both to cope with his problems and because he feels uninhibited by the mask.

This is a shallow Spider-Man for a shallow era. Is it a step in the right direction? Yes, absolutely. Subsequent films will hopefully provide more depth, now that the character has slipped out from under the shadow of the previous Sony films. Of the live-action Spider-Men, this one feels the most on-model, in terms of his humor and exuberance.

But, let's not kid ourselves. This is not a perfect Spider-Man movie, and maybe not even the best Spider-Man movie. It gets certain elements exactly right, and misses the mark on others, just as the previous films did. Mash elements from all six films together, and you might have a perfect Spider-Man film. This one is not, especially viewed as a standalone film, with no knowledge of what's come before. No origin, no exploration of the character's guilt, no gravitas. More like a Disney Channel movie with superpowers and a bigger budget.

It's like eating only dessert the day after you've had a really bad meal (the Sony films) in order to make yourself forget that meal. A good time, but not healthy or nourishing in the long run. We need dessert AND a good meal for the next course.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 16 July 2017 at 11:08am

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Greg K., I'm with you. I am 56 and I'm an old fogey, but flipping a finger and "What the F***" are too far. I want clean also. This isn't Deadpool, SHOULDN'T be Deadpool, and should not subject itself to "everyone does it today." Everyone does it because nobody stops it. This is a major motion picture... it doesn't follow the curve, it defines it. They could STOP it as much as succumb to it.

++++++++

Yeah, I'm 34 and use "dagnabbit" in casual conversation. I seem to be some kind of mutant freak who was born decades later than he should have been.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

The film is rather shallow and DEADPOOL-lite,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`````
We must have been seeing two very different movies Greg. I didn't think it was shallow at all and it was a far cry from being anything like Deadpool.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2017 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

"Shallow" in the sense that you don't really get a sense of potentially major or lasting consequences from Peter's choices, and that the stakes felt rather low. Not a lot of depth to the characters, either. Liz is pretty much a cypher, and there's not a lot to invest in, regarding her potential as Peter's love interest. She feels like a plot device to get us to the much more interesting dynamic between Peter and Toomes in the last act. 

That all being said, I appreciate the smaller scale of the film. The locale feels real, the focus is on small-time crooks rather than a world-ending plot, and the villain isn't killed at the end, which is a welcome change of pace.

"DEADPOOL-lite" in the sense that the film has joke after joke after joke, to the point that it becomes a bit difficult to take any of the more serious moments seriously. It skews more toward being an out-and-out comedy than a superhero movie, at times. Not quite at the Adam West BATMAN parody level, but also not quite like a proper Spider-Man story, with that tricky balance of humor and legitimate, character-based drama.

None of this is bad, per se, but it does seem a wee bit off-model. 

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 16 July 2017 at 7:20pm

<< Prev Page of 30 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version