Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: The MARVEL UNIVERSE Is Ending (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 January 2015 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 1  

Well, it presents an opportunity to do the following:
Remove Emma Frost from the X-Men
Have Magneto be a bad guy
Have Tony Stark be Howard Stark's son
Put Peter Parker back in school
Have Cyclops be again the consummate leader
Reduce the number of mutants
Have Charles Xavier be someone who wants the best for mutantswithout background skulduggery and general 'I'm a git' planning

••

Inherent flaw in your thinking, there, is an assumption that anyone at Marvel would actually AGREE with your assessment of what's wrong!

Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2015 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 2  

It's equally possible they'll adopt items from the Ultimate Universe such as:

- Evil Reed Richards
- mutants were created by human geneticists in the '40s
- Ben Grimm isn't a rocky "thing" but the rocky shell was just a cocoon for his ultimate (no pun intended) transformation
- etc etc.

I would LOVE to see some of what I dislike about Marvel's ongoing story undone, but I agree with JB-- the Powers That Be at Marvel may not think that what I dislike is what's wrong and needs fixing.

Thad Studebaker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2015 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 3  

Every new story about what's going on at M***** makes me a little bit happier that I finally cut the cord with them last summer.  Time to start looking for collected volumes of the early Marvel years.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2015 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 4  

Inherent flaw in your thinking, there, is an assumption that anyone at Marvel would actually AGREE with your assessment of what's wrong!
------------------------------------------------------------ -------------------------
I don't for one second think we will get ANY of what I posted. It would be nice, but it won't happen.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2015 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 5  

Much of what occurs in these house-cleaning exercises is the removal of "what doesn't work" as in Other People's Work, and the enshrinement of "what does work" as in What We're Doing!

Other people were stupid and did stupid things. We can get rid of those. The article specifically mentions that if Marvel is ever going to bring back Gwen Stacy, now would be the time to do it!

We do cool stuff, but few get to see it or appreciate it because of the accumulated drag of all those years of other people's stupid stuff. If we could just start fresh, show everyone everything is new and shiny, I know, I KNOW, they would love my stories of 35-year old Parker's new tech start-up company! And if Arno Stark were always, ALWAYS Tony's brother, with no dumb stuff from a million years ago about how Tony's an only child, blah blah whatever, I KNOW everyone would love Arno the way I've come to love him...

And so it goes.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2015 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 6  

For decades I have suspected that Marvel was secretly maneuvering to become a publisher of Wrestling Comics instead of Superhero Comics.

Their wrestlers only look like Superheroes and duke it out on flashier terrains than cordoned-off canvas stages (Asgard, Manhattan, Planet Hulk)

Calling the new world "Battleworld" goes a long way to confirming my suspicions.

Lets have a round of applause for the launch for Marvel Wrassling Comics!!!

Edited to add that I blame the success of the Cinematic Universe. With these movies making $$billions$$ for Disney, their only interest in the comics would be to continue publishing them to

(1) maintain copyrights
(2) as a unexpensive test bed for new concepts
(3) to get movie storyboards done surreptitiously and cheaply.
(4) to keep feeding the needs of the kinds of fans that feel validated by providing cheap marketing for Disney through their selfie websites, fan films animation and art, convention attendance, and cosplay.

As to point (4) I've seen some seriously badass The Batman fanart that would have blown everyone's socks off in a live film. What we're getting in the next Batman live action film is Frank Miller 1986 which shows that Warner Brothers probably doesn't see it's Comic Books division in the same light as Disney does theirs.

Cosplayers come up with costumes that probably give professional costume people excellent ideas and incentives to exceed the amateur production: at no extra charge to movie producers!

Disney executives must be drooling over their martinis thinking of all the cheap stuff they get off Marvel Comics these days to help them develop and produce movies.

Edited by Jesus Garcia on 21 January 2015 at 10:55am

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 21 January 2015 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 7  

John Popa wrote:
 Eric Sofer wrote:
but now, it gives a lot of frustrated fans a chance to quit Marvel and start checking out the Independents.

They're more likely to just quit all together, at least when I helped work in shops, there was little cross over from frustrated super hero readers to non-Big 2 books. Maybe it's changed but it would surprise me.

That's what happened with me.  When I stopped going to my LCS in 2009, I also stopped being exposed to the independent work they sell. It's depressing for me to step into any LCS and seeing shadows of characters I've loved for so long with independents often racked alphabetically.  Not knowing what to look for and finding the whole experience incredibly sad, I now rely on friends telling me what they like and then using the convenience of Amazon to order a trade.   

Steven Legge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2015 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 8  

Crisis on infinite who-gives-a-crap.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jesus Garcia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2015 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 9  

Years ago I reached the stage that Marvel/DC had been dead for years and started treating my copies of Essentials and Archives like I my copies of Sherlock Holmes, Nero Wolfe, Doc Savage, Tarzan, Conan, Matt Helm, and James Bond stories: the original authors are dead or otherwise unavailable and new material from new authors -- pastiches -- is non-canonical and irrelevant.

Feel the same way about most incarnations of Star Trek beyond the original television series: only the 60's series is canon.

I'd much rather re-read or re-watch the original old stuff -- from the original authors that made it great -- than invest my time in effort in stuff produced by people who couldn't possibly match the talent, voice, and head space of the original authors.

Even though Stan Lee is still alive today -- hale and hearty -- he would be hard pressed to recreate the magic he once made. The same could be said of anyone that worked on that material at that time and place.

It's not just talent, and head space, it's also circumstance. The magic our favorite creators made is very likely in response to their world and situations (marriage, birth of children, divorce, good health, alcoholism, racism, political views, etc).

Isaac Asimov admitted this, when he resumed his writing after his divorce with his first wife: he was very worried the event might have harmed his ability to write. In fact, it wrote with even more facility after the divorce but his themes seemed to be less optimistic.

Dashiell Hammet was a genius in the way he re-invented the crime novel but he was a rare case of a writer having lived the part that he wrote about, like Jack Kirby doing war comics.

All in all, it's probably an unrealistic expectation to have, to hold that the greatness of the characters we grew to love in our childhood could be maintained when left at the mercy of people that have lived such different lives than their original creators.

Edited by Jesus Garcia on 21 January 2015 at 12:07pm

Marcio Ferreira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2015 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 10  

Maybe this will be the beginning Marvel "Disneyfication".

Something good can come out of this. I hope my son have a chance to enjoy comic books or I am afraid my collection will never represent anything to him.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2015 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 11  

Damn, if only they'd reboot management. THAT would be groundbreaking!!!!

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2015 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 12  

I agree with JB that there's no evidence that a reboot will result in a
return to MARVEL rather than simply consolidating the dying embers of
marvel.

From a business perspective, the Ultimate and "regular" universes co-
existing was not ideal. But the popular movies have taken a lot from the
Ultimate universe, so it's likely that we'll see more of the Ultimate style.

And that's to be expected when from the start the Ultimate books felt
like they were written as the comic book adaptations of unmade
movies.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version