Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: Terrorist Attacks in Paris (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2015 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 1  

Eeeeeexxxxxxxactly.
Back to Top profile | search

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2015 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 2  

Not treating people with dignity, either in life or death, doesn't reflect on them, it reflects on you. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2015 at 6:16pm | IP Logged | 3  

Brad>>Not treating people with dignity, either in life or death, doesn't reflect on them, it reflects on you. <<

Just so.

Pettiness is not the mark of a great people.  I believe the French to be a great people, and I have no doubt they will act like it.

[edited for clarity]

Edited by Conrad Teves on 09 January 2015 at 6:18pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert LaGuardia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2015 at 7:29pm | IP Logged | 4  

Well said Brad.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike Murray
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2015 at 8:27pm | IP Logged | 5  

My condolences to our friends in France.  I have tremendous respect for the French as a people, as a nation, and as a civilization.

While reading about this attack, I've become familiar with the term "no go zone" for the first time and I'm still in shock.  I've been a registered Democrat since I was 18 years old, I voted for Obama twice, tolerance and respect are very important to me, but this idea of no go zones is so disturbing.  If we had a "no go zone" in my state I'd want the National Guard brought in and stationed on every block, if that weren't enough I'd say bring in the other Armed Forces because it's a case of us being under attack, of our land being seized by a group acting as a foreign power.  No country can tolerate a loss of sovereignty like that, can they?  Am I overreacting?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2015 at 9:39pm | IP Logged | 6  

Because striving to not piss off terrorists seems to be working out for us so well?
--------------------------
Their families are terrorists as well?

A little magnanimity can go a long way.

Edited by Peter Martin on 09 January 2015 at 9:40pm

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2015 at 4:51am | IP Logged | 7  

Yesterday teachers talked about the Charlie Hebdo slaughter in classes, and in many schools there were some kids who protested that they did insult the prophet so they deserved to die. It also happened in my daughter's class (she's 8 years old). Teacher are at a loss as what to do. As one explained, they're trying to put good values into children's heads but everything is lost when they go back home.

J W Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2015 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 8  

I think it's worth mentioning that one of the policemen killed in this attack was also a Muslim. It seems to me a very selective reading of the Qur'an that demands deadly retribution for a cartoon but blithely overlooks the prohibition on killing other Muslims.

When even the leader of frickin' Hezbollah says you're too extreme to call yourself a Muslim I think it's fair to say that these guys were fairly out there on the spectrum of belief.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2015 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 9  

And I guess that's my point. Why ensure that they get a
proper Muslim burial if they are not supposed to be
considered to be true Muslims?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 January 2015 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 10  

Why ensure that they get a proper Muslim burial if they are not supposed to be considered to be true Muslims?

••

Feeding their carcasses to wild dogs seems more appropriate -- and for nutballs who consider themselves "devout" Muslims, perhaps even a deterrent!

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2015 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 11  

MIKE MURRAY: While reading about this attack, I've become familiar with the term "no go zone"

Mike, did you find any legit news sources that discuss the no go zones? I could only find mentions in what appear to be biased sources. I'm concerned that these supposed zones sound more like nationalist fear-mongering than reality. I would like to know more but want to read objective reporting. I'm also interested to know if our French members can confirm these zones exist.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 January 2015 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 12  

I've heard about them quite a few times, but I wonder if the reality is closer to a "ghetto", where people of the Islamic community just gather together and treat it like a little piece of their homeland, rather than any conscious effort on the part of the authorities to exclude them from the general society. I've read that Jewish communities were like that during Medieval times, and so the xenophobia was escalated from an existing distrust of the people who wouldn't integrate into society (including convert to Christianity when that became a state religion) in the first place.

The idea of these being no-go zones now may have something to do with an escalation in hostilities which had been taking shape for decades. Except that now, we have bombs and firearms involved, and the excluded community isn't quite as submissive as the Jews were. Lots of bad could come from this.

My biggest concern about this is with the rhetoric that gets bandied about. I recently heard a bit of Michael Savage's radio show "Savage Nation" talking about this, and if you thought that Sean Hannity or Rush Limbaugh were bad, you might consider them saints compared to him. He was all over the place, dehumanizing the terrorists and anyone who could be considered as sympathizing with them. Not a good mix in a national (and international) debate.

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version